Buffalo Intros Dual-Interface Thunderbolt Portable HDD

Tags:
  • Thunderbolt
  • External Drive
  • Buffalo
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in News comments
June 8, 2012 4:36:01 AM

Nice, now make it cheap. Though i don't see transfers ever hitting 10GB/s with a HDD...
Score
June 8, 2012 6:02:02 AM

It would be worth it if it had an SSD.
Otherwise, it's a glamorized external HHD...
Score
June 8, 2012 6:33:48 AM

ojasNice, now make it cheap. Though i don't see transfers ever hitting 10GB/s with a HDD...

The key to Thunderbolt is that (just like with FireWire) you can daisy chain devices.
You can connect an external display, a bunch of external hard drives, and whatever else you might want with a single cable to your laptop.
Score
June 8, 2012 7:49:00 AM

Quote:
Dubbed the MiniStation Thunderbolt / USB Portable Hard Drive

you don't say???? And here I thought it was a flux capacitor! -.-

it's going to be insanely expensive and probably have its fair share of faults. A few more years for Thunderbolt
Score
June 8, 2012 7:54:45 AM

molo9000The key to Thunderbolt is that (just like with FireWire) you can daisy chain devices.You can connect an external display, a bunch of external hard drives, and whatever else you might want with a single cable to your laptop.

The problem with daisy chains is that for every device you plug in you see the bandwidth reduced.
Score
June 8, 2012 8:54:00 AM

That's alright if you have a LOT to reduce from.
Score
June 8, 2012 1:15:56 PM

Thunderbolt manufacturers think a good starting price point it $999.
Score
June 8, 2012 5:17:45 PM

VladislausThe problem with daisy chains is that for every device you plug in you see the bandwidth reduced.

not with thunderbolt... at least 1 data and 1 video connection can move through the connection with zero impact on performance i believe... anandtech has a good review of the interface.

not sure that i see value in it personally but who knows what the future holds
Score
June 8, 2012 5:18:28 PM

classzeroThunderbolt manufacturers think a good starting price point it $999.

lol
Score
!