GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

I'm trying to get an internal multi-card reader to install correctly on
my WinXP machine. The problem is, it works when logged in as admin, but
not as the User (it's a public place). And in fact, once you log in as
the user and then back again, the drives are not there, like it
uninstalled it even for the Admin.

The kind people at the computer store assured me that there is a simply
a setting somewhere to allow the user account to use it, but they
didn't know where and I can't find it either. Can anyone help me out?
The only thing that looks close is "Load and unload Device drivers" and
"Devices: Allow to format and eject removable media".

On 22 Jun 2005 12:38:56 -0700, gregf@kcls.org wrote:

> I'm trying to get an internal multi-card reader to install correctly on
> my WinXP machine. The problem is, it works when logged in as admin, but
> not as the User (it's a public place). And in fact, once you log in as
> the user and then back again, the drives are not there, like it
> uninstalled it even for the Admin.
>
> The kind people at the computer store assured me that there is a simply
> a setting somewhere to allow the user account to use it, but they
> didn't know where and I can't find it either. Can anyone help me out?
> The only thing that looks close is "Load and unload Device drivers" and
> "Devices: Allow to format and eject removable media".

Many card readers and other external drives like to take the first
available letter after the hard drives. If the letter happens to be
assigned to a cd or dvd drive, they do not do the sensible thing - take a
letter after the cd/dvd drives.

To avoid this, I leave a gap between the letters for my internal disks and
my internal cd and dvd drives. This leaves a small assortment of letters
for add-on drives, such as card readers, to use.

I realize your reader is internal but it would appear that it is following
suit to the behavior exhibited by external readers. You could try
permanently assigning it a letter that falls between hard drives and cd or
dvd drives to see if it resolves the problem you're having.

Use Disk Management (Administrative Tools> Computer Management>Disk
Management) to reassign the drive letters.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User