EXTREME graphics bandwidth requirement

Hi!

I am wondering wether or not to try out a board from TYAN. The reason
is that we are developing an application with extreme graphics
bandwidth requrements and the system we have today just ALMOST manages
to fullfill it.

We have a Dell precision 670 workstation with dual xeon 3.4EM64 cpus,
2gb mem and a nvidia quadro 3400 PCI-E graphics card.

We need to upload 80mb and download 40mb of textures steadily per sec.
It is clear that there is a bandwidth bottleneck somplace. My guess is
the hostmem->cpu->pci-e path.

After what i have read on the net opteron is much better for bandwidth
hungry applications than xeon is. Ive also figured that there is a
thing called SLI nowadays that might be worth conciddering.

Would anyone like to share their views on this matter?

Thanks!!!

"_SKiTZO" <lennart@upmail.no> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I am wondering wether or not to try out a board from TYAN. The reason
> is that we are developing an application with extreme graphics
> bandwidth requrements and the system we have today just ALMOST manages
> to fullfill it.
>
> We have a Dell precision 670 workstation with dual xeon 3.4EM64 cpus,
> 2gb mem and a nvidia quadro 3400 PCI-E graphics card.
>
> We need to upload 80mb and download 40mb of textures steadily per sec.
> It is clear that there is a bandwidth bottleneck somplace. My guess is
> the hostmem->cpu->pci-e path.
>
> After what i have read on the net opteron is much better for bandwidth
> hungry applications than xeon is. Ive also figured that there is a
> thing called SLI nowadays that might be worth conciddering.
>
> Would anyone like to share their views on this matter?
>
> Thanks!!!

sli runs 2 pci-e cards at only x8each - as opposed to a single card at x16
so you get no extra bandwidth, just the advantage of 2 gpus.
i saw a link in an earlier post for a dual opteron, sli board with better
than usual ram bandwidth. this may fit your needs or wait a while until
ati's mvp is ready. they're developing this in conjunction with asus and an
experimental [intel] board is kicking around. shouldn't be long before the
amd version is ready seeing as they're the ones likely to actually sell.

dr ratt