Need Recommendation for SATA Host Controller

Can someone recommend a SATA host controller that will work on my 2466N
board with Western Digital SATA drives, Windows 2000 or 2003?

Appreciate it!

Pat

PatH wrote:
> Can someone recommend a SATA host controller that will work on my 2466N
> board with Western Digital SATA drives, Windows 2000 or 2003?
>
> Appreciate it!
>
> Pat

I've used a few 4, 8, and 12 port cards from 3Ware in systems
built around the S288x series of motherboards. Can't imagine
that they wouldn't work in a 2466N.

If you don't care about RAID, then just get a basic 2 or 4 port
card from Promise of HighPoint.

Many thanks!

"Rob Stow" <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> PatH wrote:
> > Can someone recommend a SATA host controller that will work on my 2466N
> > board with Western Digital SATA drives, Windows 2000 or 2003?
> >
> > Appreciate it!
> >
> > Pat
> >

> I've used a few 4, 8, and 12 port cards from 3Ware in systems
> built around the S288x series of motherboards. Can't imagine
> that they wouldn't work in a 2466N.
>
> If you don't care about RAID, then just get a basic 2 or 4 port
> card from Promise of HighPoint.

miloman

"PatH" <nwind@NOSPAM.povn.com> wrote in message
> Can someone recommend a SATA host controller that will work on my 2466N
> board with Western Digital SATA drives, Windows 2000 or 2003?

I use an Promise SATA150 TX2plus in an S2460. No problems. Its a pleasure
with a WD 74Gb raptor :)
Paul.

"PatH" <nwind@NOSPAM.povn.com> wrote in message
> Can someone recommend a SATA host controller that will work on my 2466N
> board with Western Digital SATA drives, Windows 2000 or 2003?
>
> Appreciate it!
>
> Pat

My Tyan S2460 has a 3Ware 7500-4LP Escalade RAID controller in it. The SATA
3Ware versions with at least 4 ports use 64 bit PCI slots running at at
least 66 MHz and they're true hardware RAID units - that's one way to fill
one of those 64 bit slots sitting there in your S2466N! You should be able
to buy an older style 3Ware SATA card for a reasonable price from eBay -
that's how I got hold of mine (imported it into the UK from the USA saving
£££). I'm unsure about the S2466N but the S2460 wont allow many additional
boot devices due to a limited 128k BIOS memory footprint size. If you have a
NIC set to PXE boot and a graphics card with large BIOS memory demands, you
may find there are problems with them all together - I did with my cheapie
Silicon Image software RAID card but the 3Ware replacement card behaves
itself in this regard - item 3 on this page covers it:
http://www.tyan.com/support/html/f_s2466.html

Paul