Tiger K8W--who/what controls fan speed?

I recently built a dual-Opteron workstation using a Tyan Tiger K8W
motherboard and a pair of retail box Opteron 246 CPUs (2GHz, 130nm), in
an Antec case with a pair of 80mm exhaust fans and a dual-fan 400W power
supply. The system is acceptably quiet when I first turn it on, but in
just a few minutes the CPU fans wind up from the 3500RPM or so that they
start at all the way up to about 6000RPM--making a deafening racket.
But the CPU temperatures read about 42C under moderate load; not hot
enough to justify that high a fan speed, at least for not a workstation
(it'd be just fine in a noisy server room).

So who/what is causing the fans to speed up that high? Does the
motherboard increase the voltage to the fans when the temperature goes
up, or do the fans themselves contain temperature sensors? Is it
possible to adjust the speed ramp? I wouldn't mind trading a few
degrees for some peace and quiet, as I'm not overclocking or anything
(just developing multithreaded software, and I need multiple real CPUs
to test it properly).

"lachoneus2" wrote:
> I recently built a dual-Opteron workstation using a Tyan Tiger
> K8W
> motherboard and a pair of retail box Opteron 246 CPUs (2GHz,
> 130nm), in
> an Antec case with a pair of 80mm exhaust fans and a dual-fan
> 400W power
> supply. The system is acceptably quiet when I first turn it
> on, but in
> just a few minutes the CPU fans wind up from the 3500RPM or so
> that they
> start at all the way up to about 6000RPM--making a deafening
> racket.
> But the CPU temperatures read about 42C under moderate load;
> not hot
> enough to justify that high a fan speed, at least for not a
> workstation
> (it'd be just fine in a noisy server room).
>
> So who/what is causing the fans to speed up that high? Does
> the
> motherboard increase the voltage to the fans when the
> temperature goes
> up, or do the fans themselves contain temperature sensors? Is
> it
> possible to adjust the speed ramp? I wouldn't mind trading a
> few
> degrees for some peace and quiet, as I'm not overclocking or
> anything
> (just developing multithreaded software, and I need multiple
> real CPUs
> to test it properly).

change the cpu fans. I have 2 verax on my tyan and you can lay your
ear on the pc to sleep. They are expensiv but realy the best. Only a
watercooling is better. look here: http://www.verax.de
or http://www.veraxfans.com/

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Tyan-Tiger-K8W-controls-fan-speed-ftopict51931.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=277251