Erratic: MS Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer mouse

I have been having similar problems with my new MS Wireless
IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 mouse (Model No. 1007) on my MS XP Home
system. Sometimes it suddenly slows down terribly. Multiple clicks
have no effects on whatever you want to do. Windows scroll speeds
could suddenly slow down to a completely halt. I removed the
IntelliPoint 5.2 driver/software to see if that made a difference, but
it didn't! However tts behavior is constant and consistent. I could
not determine what actually triggers the problem. I thought that maybe
the light signals was not properly picked up or converted to the
electronic signals. Or the wireless signal was not properly picked up
and converted, though the distance between the mouse and the receiver
is only 1 foot. I tend to believe it's a hardware problem. Anyone
else has seen similar problems???

I have never had any other mice behaving like this one for last 15
years. I thought MS has quality hardware. Guess I was wrong! They
are in software business. I got the mouse when the price dropped to
$15 for the model. Maybe that had something to do with it. :)
4 answers Last reply
More about erratic wireless intellimouse explorer mouse

    Thanks for your help!

    Could you explain it more about your analysis? You probably have seen
    that before but it's hard for me to see the video card and mouse are
    somehow connected in this case. Before I installed this mouse, I had a
    wired optical mouse connected to this computer and had no problems.
    And I have never had any display problems either. So I cannot see why
    the mouse problem would indicate it's a video driver or video card
    problem. Could you elaborate a little about it?

    Thanks!

    "tanspot11" wrote:

    | I have been having similar problems with my new MS Wireless
    | IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 mouse (Model No. 1007) on my MS XP Home
    | system. Sometimes it suddenly slows down terribly. Multiple clicks
    | have no effects on whatever you want to do. Windows scroll speeds
    | could suddenly slow down to a completely halt. I removed the
    | IntelliPoint 5.2 driver/software to see if that made a difference, but
    | it didn't! However tts behavior is constant and consistent. I could
    | not determine what actually triggers the problem. I thought that maybe
    | the light signals was not properly picked up or converted to the
    | electronic signals. Or the wireless signal was not properly picked up
    | and converted, though the distance between the mouse and the receiver
    | is only 1 foot. I tend to believe it's a hardware problem. Anyone
    | else has seen similar problems???
    |
    | I have never had any other mice behaving like this one for last 15
    | years. I thought MS has quality hardware. Guess I was wrong! They
    | are in software business. I got the mouse when the price dropped to
    | $15 for the model. Maybe that had something to do with it. :)

    I tried what I considered the "regular" pad (the surface feels like a
    hard plastic, non-absorbtive and not-glossy surface), which I had been
    using with old wired non-optical and optical mice. Also used my desk
    laminated surface and painted not-glossy paper pieces. The results are
    the same. The problems come and go, not consistent at all. But the
    slowdown can be dramatic.

    The battery power is excellent shown on the system info. One time I
    even changed the batteries just to eliminate that factor.

    Does the color of the surface affect the mouse performance?

    What type of mouse pad do you have? It should be a
    dull, non-reflective type.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

Mice Wireless Intellimouse Explorer Windows XP Product