tool to determine if hd failing

Is there any diagnostic tool that can be run which will give some indication
that a hard drive is about to go out ?

Over the years, on various machines (commercial and custom built), preceding
total drive failure I've experienced some or all the following symptoms,
usually in sequence:

1. drive makes more noise than typically has in past

2. drive spins longer than typically has in past

3. drive begins clicks on a regular interval -- not necessarily
continuously, but

4. rate of clicking accelerates

5. clicking becomes continuous

6. clicking begins occurring on irregular intervals

On my Dell Optiplex GX270 , I am currently at stage 3.
7 answers Last reply
More about tool determine failing

    "John Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
    > Is there any diagnostic tool that can be run which will give some
    > indication that a hard drive is about to go out ?
    >
    > Over the years, on various machines (commercial and custom built),
    > preceding total drive failure I've experienced some or all the following
    > symptoms, usually in sequence:
    >
    > 1. drive makes more noise than typically has in past
    >
    > 2. drive spins longer than typically has in past
    >
    > 3. drive begins clicks on a regular interval -- not necessarily
    > continuously, but
    >
    > 4. rate of clicking accelerates
    >
    > 5. clicking becomes continuous
    >
    > 6. clicking begins occurring on irregular intervals
    >

    > On my Dell Optiplex GX270 , I am currently at stage 3.

    Most hard drive manufacturers have free diagnostic utilities you can
    download. Also most modern hard drives have SMART capabilities. There are
    shareware and freeware programs that can read the SMART data so you can see
    if the drive is seeing any errors.

    Kerry

    I would think that with the observations you've made, that you already
    posses all the diagnostic tools you need to make an informed decision on if
    the drive is about to fail. With what little disk drives cost now it's not
    worth taking any chances.

    "John Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
    Is there any diagnostic tool that can be run which will give some indication
    that a hard drive is about to go out ?

    Over the years, on various machines (commercial and custom built), preceding
    total drive failure I've experienced some or all the following symptoms,
    usually in sequence:

    1. drive makes more noise than typically has in past

    2. drive spins longer than typically has in past

    3. drive begins clicks on a regular interval -- not necessarily
    continuously, but

    4. rate of clicking accelerates

    5. clicking becomes continuous

    6. clicking begins occurring on irregular intervals

    On my Dell Optiplex GX270 , I am currently at stage 3.

    Every drive manufacturer has a download to test "their" hard drives. Go to
    the appropriate web site for your hard drive.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "John Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
    > Is there any diagnostic tool that can be run which will give some
    > indication that a hard drive is about to go out ?
    >
    > Over the years, on various machines (commercial and custom built),
    > preceding total drive failure I've experienced some or all the following
    > symptoms, usually in sequence:
    >
    > 1. drive makes more noise than typically has in past
    >
    > 2. drive spins longer than typically has in past
    >
    > 3. drive begins clicks on a regular interval -- not necessarily
    > continuously, but
    >
    > 4. rate of clicking accelerates
    >
    > 5. clicking becomes continuous
    >
    > 6. clicking begins occurring on irregular intervals
    >

    > On my Dell Optiplex GX270 , I am currently at stage 3.

    SMART is a built-in tool on modern hard drives.
    The EVEREST program (free from www.lavalys.com ) includes
    the SMART report.

    some support

    "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote
    in message news:u2vMy5GeFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    | Every drive manufacturer has a download to test "their"
    hard drives. Go to
    | the appropriate web site for your hard drive.
    |
    | --
    | Regards,
    |
    | Richard Urban
    |
    | aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    |
    | If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    | You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
    knew!

    | "John Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in
    message
    | > Is there any diagnostic tool that can be run which will
    give some
    | > indication that a hard drive is about to go out ?
    | >
    | > Over the years, on various machines (commercial and
    custom built),
    | > preceding total drive failure I've experienced some or
    all the following
    | > symptoms, usually in sequence:
    | >
    | > 1. drive makes more noise than typically has in past
    | >
    | > 2. drive spins longer than typically has in past
    | >
    | > 3. drive begins clicks on a regular interval -- not
    necessarily
    | > continuously, but
    | >
    | > 4. rate of clicking accelerates
    | >
    | > 5. clicking becomes continuous
    | >
    | > 6. clicking begins occurring on irregular intervals
    | >

    | > On my Dell Optiplex GX270 , I am currently at stage 3.

    Agree with Richard absolutely. You'll need to use the manufacturer's
    diagnostics anyway if you want to get a replacement drive under your
    warranty.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    > Every drive manufacturer has a download to test "their" hard drives. Go to
    > the appropriate web site for your hard drive.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >

    > "John Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
    > > Is there any diagnostic tool that can be run which will give some
    > > indication that a hard drive is about to go out ?
    > >
    > > Over the years, on various machines (commercial and custom built),
    > > preceding total drive failure I've experienced some or all the following
    > > symptoms, usually in sequence:
    > >
    > > 1. drive makes more noise than typically has in past
    > >
    > > 2. drive spins longer than typically has in past
    > >
    > > 3. drive begins clicks on a regular interval -- not necessarily
    > > continuously, but
    > >
    > > 4. rate of clicking accelerates
    > >
    > > 5. clicking becomes continuous
    > >
    > > 6. clicking begins occurring on irregular intervals
    > >

    > > On my Dell Optiplex GX270 , I am currently at stage 3.

    "John Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
    > Is there any diagnostic tool that can be run which will give some
    > indication that a hard drive is about to go out ?
    >
    > Over the years, on various machines (commercial and custom built),
    > preceding total drive failure I've experienced some or all the following
    > symptoms, usually in sequence:
    >
    > 1. drive makes more noise than typically has in past
    >
    > 2. drive spins longer than typically has in past
    >
    > 3. drive begins clicks on a regular interval -- not necessarily
    > continuously, but
    >
    > 4. rate of clicking accelerates
    >
    > 5. clicking becomes continuous
    >
    > 6. clicking begins occurring on irregular intervals
    >

    > On my Dell Optiplex GX270 , I am currently at stage 3.

    well if its making clicking noises this is usually as it attempts to read a
    duff sector on the drive. This could be due to the drive failing, or it
    could have been knocked slightly. If you remember that the hard drive heads
    are pretty clsoe to the surface - less than a hair's width - a slight knock
    can easily damage it.

    Do a chkdsk /r on the drive. If more sectors appear bad after a while, then
    its on its way to the big dumpster in the sky. Replace before it dies, and
    back up more regularly than you already do

    That's right! If the manufacturers own utility shows that the drive is bad
    you get a new drive (as long as the old one is still under warranty) with no
    questions asked. How can they deny their own test program?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > Agree with Richard absolutely. You'll need to use the manufacturer's
    > diagnostics anyway if you want to get a replacement drive under your
    > warranty.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."

    >> Every drive manufacturer has a download to test "their" hard drives. Go
    >> the appropriate web site for your hard drive.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >>
    >> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >>

    >> "John Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
    >> > Is there any diagnostic tool that can be run which will give some
    >> > indication that a hard drive is about to go out ?
    >> >
    >> > Over the years, on various machines (commercial and custom built),
    >> > preceding total drive failure I've experienced some or all the
    >> > following
    >> > symptoms, usually in sequence:
    >> >
    >> > 1. drive makes more noise than typically has in past
    >> >
    >> > 2. drive spins longer than typically has in past
    >> >
    >> > 3. drive begins clicks on a regular interval -- not necessarily
    >> > continuously, but
    >> >
    >> > 4. rate of clicking accelerates
    >> >
    >> > 5. clicking becomes continuous
    >> >
    >> > 6. clicking begins occurring on irregular intervals
    >> >

    >> > On my Dell Optiplex GX270 , I am currently at stage 3.

Hardware HD Microsoft Windows XP