alex

Ok so iam trying to get a new board but iam confused since iam a noob at all
th hardware stuff. i got a P4 procesor in it, and i need a board that has a
pci-e 16x slot in it for a gforce card,
so can any one recomend a card under a $100 with those speck( supports
regular P4 and has pci express 16x slot)
Thanks

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Do a Google search on PCIe motherboards.

"Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok so iam trying to get a new board but iam confused since iam a noob at
> all
> th hardware stuff. i got a P4 procesor in it, and i need a board that has
> pci-e 16x slot in it for a gforce card,
> so can any one recomend a card under a $100 with those speck( supports
> regular P4 and has pci express 16x slot)
> Thanks

What do you mean by "regular P4"?

If it is Socket 478 CPU (newer ones use LGA 775, also known as Socket T),
you may have trouble finding a Socket 478 board with a PCI-E 16X graphics
slot. Newegg lists one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813170143

Its price is $99 (US), +$5 shipping.

"Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok so iam trying to get a new board but iam confused since iam a noob at
> all
> th hardware stuff. i got a P4 procesor in it, and i need a board that has
> pci-e 16x slot in it for a gforce card,
> so can any one recomend a card under a $100 with those speck( supports
> regular P4 and has pci express 16x slot)
> Thanks

alex

how can i find out what socket my board has?

"Bob Knowlden" wrote:

> What do you mean by "regular P4"?
>
> If it is Socket 478 CPU (newer ones use LGA 775, also known as Socket T),
> you may have trouble finding a Socket 478 board with a PCI-E 16X graphics
> slot. Newegg lists one:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813170143
>
> Its price is $99 (US), +$5 shipping.
>
> Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>
> "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok so iam trying to get a new board but iam confused since iam a noob at
> > all
> > th hardware stuff. i got a P4 procesor in it, and i need a board that has
> > pci-e 16x slot in it for a gforce card,
> > so can any one recomend a card under a $100 with those speck( supports
> > regular P4 and has pci express 16x slot)
> > Thanks

This is exactly where Google shines. Why don't you try it?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok so iam trying to get a new board but iam confused since iam a noob at
> all
> th hardware stuff. i got a P4 procesor in it, and i need a board that has
> pci-e 16x slot in it for a gforce card,
> so can any one recomend a card under a $100 with those speck( supports
> regular P4 and has pci express 16x slot)
> Thanks

I guess he knows that he doesn't have an irregular P4 (-:

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
> What do you mean by "regular P4"?
>
> If it is Socket 478 CPU (newer ones use LGA 775, also known as Socket T),
> you may have trouble finding a Socket 478 board with a PCI-E 16X graphics
> slot. Newegg lists one:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813170143
>
> Its price is $99 (US), +$5 shipping.
>
> Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>
> "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Ok so iam trying to get a new board but iam confused since iam a noob at
>> all
>> th hardware stuff. i got a P4 procesor in it, and i need a board that has
>> pci-e 16x slot in it for a gforce card,
>> so can any one recomend a card under a $100 with those speck( supports
>> regular P4 and has pci express 16x slot)
>> Thanks

If you know the model of the board, the manufacturer's web site might be
helpful. (The board model may be printed on the mainboard.)

Otherwise, the free home edition of Everest (http://www.lavalys.com/) may
tell you what you need to know.

"P4" isn't sufficient information for you to get much help here. For
example, P4s came in Socket 423, socket 478, and socket T (LGA 775) forms.
The first two types used the traditional pins, but the LGA is a Land Grid
Array, with no pins on the CPU. P4 mainboards used SDRAM (PC100 or PC133),
Rambus DRAM, DDR, or DDR2. The Albatron board I mentioned uses DDR.

> how can i find out what socket my board has?

(snip)