File sharing from a WIFI PC with nobody logged on - How to..

I have desktop with WindowsXP Pro SP2, firewall off. File sharing works
fine as long as someone is logged into the computer. Whenever we log off,
the wireless connection seems to drop and the share is no longer available.

How do I get the connection to stay up using without having someone log on.

The 128bit WEP is enabled and I have tried using the Windows WIFI manager
and the DLINK wifi manager to no avail. It seems that the machine account
is not triggering a connection to the wifi lan just by being powered up and
waiting for a user to log in.

Unfortunately, plugging this machine in to the LAN is not an option.

Any ideas?

Try pressing Alt-Ctrl-Del , or Ctrl-Alt-Del and select Shutdown/Lock
Computer..or WinKey + L ...

shockie B)

JohnQ wrote:

> I have desktop with WindowsXP Pro SP2, firewall off. File sharing works
> fine as long as someone is logged into the computer. Whenever we log off,
> the wireless connection seems to drop and the share is no longer available.
>
> How do I get the connection to stay up using without having someone log on.
>
> The 128bit WEP is enabled and I have tried using the Windows WIFI manager
> and the DLINK wifi manager to no avail. It seems that the machine account
> is not triggering a connection to the wifi lan just by being powered up and
> waiting for a user to log in.
>
> Unfortunately, plugging this machine in to the LAN is not an option.
>

> Any ideas?

Are you using a Router? If you are not using a router and have a
peer-to-peer (ad-hoc) network using internet connection sharing then the
host computer must be on and someone logged on in order for the other
computer to have access to the internet. As far as sharing files go if
a person is logged off then their folders simply will not be available
to the network at all. and if no one is logged on then no folders will
be available to the network including the shared folder, also, assume
that I mean all networked resources including shared drives etc.

JohnQ wrote:

> I have desktop with WindowsXP Pro SP2, firewall off. File sharing works
> fine as long as someone is logged into the computer. Whenever we log off,
> the wireless connection seems to drop and the share is no longer available.
>
> How do I get the connection to stay up using without having someone log on.
>
> The 128bit WEP is enabled and I have tried using the Windows WIFI manager
> and the DLINK wifi manager to no avail. It seems that the machine account
> is not triggering a connection to the wifi lan just by being powered up and
> waiting for a user to log in.
>
> Unfortunately, plugging this machine in to the LAN is not an option.
>

> Any ideas?

Are you saying you want to share the files of the person logged off or
are you saying that the wireless computer no longer has access to the
network at all?
If you are saying that you want to access a persons files who is logged
off it simply isn't going to happen. If you are saying your wireless
connection is dropping completely and you have no access at all then you
probably are using internet connection sharing instead of the router. If
you are not using a router then you need to get one in order to stay
networked without having the host computer on AND someone logged on to it.

HTH
Damase