Corsair Announces New AX1200i Digital ATX Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I've had my AX1200 for about a year now, if I didn't already have one this is what I would be getting.
Oh well I'm not disappointed, but I am a little intrigued by the "tweaking" you can do on this PSU.

EzioAs

Distinguished

I understand how you feel, Corsair does many things right. This is one of the reasons I'm holding out on buying their HX power supplies right now since I've heard news saying that the HX series is getting an update as well, with the same price tag as the current model.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I kinda feel sorry for those who decide to cheap out and buy those $20 1200W PSUs, and wonder why it failed and took out their entire computer (except for case, monitor, mouse and keyboard) when the load was under 600W.

D

Deleted member 217926

I was wondering when Flextronics was going to do another power supply for Corsair. Hopefully they do as good a job with this one as they did with the previous 1200AX. The real time monitoring function is pretty sweet. I would love to see it becoming standard on all quality power supplies.

Too bad this is going to mostly be used in systems where people think they need 1200 watts with their HD 6870.

f-14

Distinguished
looks like a poor air flow design and ventilation, i don't see this PSU lasting longer than 3-5 years due to heat issues for those who would actually push this thing over 1000w

[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]looks like a poor air flow design and ventilation, i don't see this PSU lasting longer than 3-5 years due to heat issues for those who would actually push this thing over 1000w[/citation]

Most PSUs look just like this when opened up. But the main thing here is lower operating temperature which means it will run cooler when pushed to 1000w compared to normal 1200w PSUs.

Plus there is normally a plastic guide to help guide the air out, it wont be shown with the top part off.

At my work, we use mainly Corsair PSUs for our builds and have only had a few come back bad for the hundreds we sell or use every year which is very good.

Just had a guy bring in a 650TX in saying it was bad but all the voltages were near perfect (one was off by .1) and it powered on a test system just fine. Corsair PSUs are some of the best next to Seasonic.

G

"This allows users real-time monitoring of temperature, current draw, and power efficiency, as well as the ability to adjust the speed of the internal 140mm fan."

This sounds great and would be great to have. We can readily monitor stats of CPU, GPU, RAM and HDD, finally PSU gets some love too.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Sensor monitoring from the computer is a great idea, but configuring the rails, not so much. If these things catch on, I would not be surprised if viruses took advantage of this functionality and say, lowered the current threshold to the point where the power supply cuts out if you try to run antivirus software.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Honestly, how often does a gaming rig exceed 480W of component power draw at idle? For instance, mine uses ~65W (80W from the wall), though it's not all that powerful compared to most (i5 750, single 550ti). I can definitely see this being fanless with most machines at idle.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Damn! I too already have the AX1200 and the CorsairLink. Guess I'll just have to wait until this one starts to show it's age. :)

bee144

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]Honestly, how often does a gaming rig exceed 480W of component power draw at idle? For instance, mine uses ~65W (80W from the wall), though it's not all that powerful compared to most (i5 750, single 550ti). I can definitely see this being fanless with most machines at idle.[/citation]
You do know that the real 680 isn't out right? The GK110 is due out August-October and will be a very large die with Billions of transistors. Its expected to be dubbed the GTX 685 or GTX 780. Expect very high power consumption from this looming monster.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]bee144[/nom]You do know that the real 680 isn't out right? The GK110 is due out August-October and will be a very large die with Billions of transistors. Its expected to be dubbed the GTX 685 or GTX 780. Expect very high power consumption from this looming monster.[/citation]
Yes, maybe under load, but when idle? After all, my rig pulls 80W from the wall when idle but pulls 300W when I torture the CPU and the GPU simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS