xp does not recognize second hard drive

Adam

I have a primary drive (maxtor) whice xp is running on and a second hard
drive (maxtor also) which i have been using for some time for storing files.
i had windows xp home and everything worked fine for a long while. recently
since i upgraded to xp pro, the hard drive icon for the secondary drive
disappears from my computer. i even tried saving stuff to the drive from ms
word or something and it is not recognized. usually a restart will solve the
problem, but after i let the computer run, (till like the next day) it will
happen again. i dont know yet what event causes it to dissapear. i sometimes
use standby, but i dont think that is consistent with the problem.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks, adam

Adam

Go to control panel
management tools
devices management
go to storage
disks management
once in you will see your two disks and what it is happening with your
second one.
It's probably xp is not recognizing because disk is not actived. To see what
problem is, go to
menu-action and then recheck or retest disks.
If it does not appear you should enter the bios to check settings or open
your pc and check your physical settings.

kovik

"Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
I have a primary drive (maxtor) whice xp is running on and a second hard
drive (maxtor also) which i have been using for some time for storing files.
i had windows xp home and everything worked fine for a long while. recently
since i upgraded to xp pro, the hard drive icon for the secondary drive
disappears from my computer. i even tried saving stuff to the drive from ms
word or something and it is not recognized. usually a restart will solve the
problem, but after i let the computer run, (till like the next day) it will
happen again. i dont know yet what event causes it to dissapear. i sometimes
use standby, but i dont think that is consistent with the problem.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks, adam

I've got the same problem (as has a friend). I've checked disk management,
with no luck. Has anyone got a link to how BIOS should be set up with two
hard drives? I dont know what to change (presumably) after hitting DEL at
start up.

Cheers

"kovik" wrote:

> Adam
>
> Go to control panel
> management tools
> devices management
> go to storage
> disks management
> once in you will see your two disks and what it is happening with your
> second one.
> It's probably xp is not recognizing because disk is not actived. To see what
> problem is, go to
> menu-action and then recheck or retest disks.
> If it does not appear you should enter the bios to check settings or open
> your pc and check your physical settings.
>
> kovik
>

> "Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
> I have a primary drive (maxtor) whice xp is running on and a second hard
> drive (maxtor also) which i have been using for some time for storing files.
> i had windows xp home and everything worked fine for a long while. recently
> since i upgraded to xp pro, the hard drive icon for the secondary drive
> disappears from my computer. i even tried saving stuff to the drive from ms
> word or something and it is not recognized. usually a restart will solve the
> problem, but after i let the computer run, (till like the next day) it will
> happen again. i dont know yet what event causes it to dissapear. i sometimes
> use standby, but i dont think that is consistent with the problem.
>
> any help would be appreciated.
>
> thanks, adam

Adam

thanks for your help guys. i'll try that next time it happens.