Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi: My PC is 3 years old. Compaq. The PC does not show the DVD and CD on the
control panel. Why did these diveces just dissapear? Thanks for your help

Joan

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Do the drives show up in the BIOS settings? (I don't recall how to get into
the BIOS settings on Compaq machines, but it may be by pressing the F10
function key while the machine is starting up.)

If the BIOS detects the drives, see:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

"CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install
Windows XP"

(There are a variety of ways that the faulty Registry keys can be produced.)

If you'd prefer not to manually edit the Registry manually, see:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

If the drives aren't seen in the BIOS, it could be a hardware failure. If
both drives are on the same cable, a dead one could prevent the live one
from being visible.

Hope this helps.

Bob Knowlden

Joan and Alan wrote:

> Hi: My PC is 3 years old. Compaq. The PC does not show the DVD and CD on the
> control panel. Why did these diveces just dissapear? Thanks for your help

If they are on the same ide channel and one goes bad, or one has a bad
power lead, or the cable slipped out a bit on one of the drives, both
drives may be disabled in either dos or windows.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Where is the lead and cable? Thanks, Joan