Serial Device Jumping around to different ports

LH

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005

I'm working with a card scanner that connects to a computer via the FTDI usb
to serial converter driver. I'm having a problem with the scanner jumping
around to different ports after rebooting the computer. This causes a
problem when clients try to use the scanner.

Is there a why that I can scan the com port to see what hardware is
connected? If not, how to others solve this problem?

thanks in advance,
Lou

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 11:50:12 -0500, "lh" <lhughey@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I'm working with a card scanner that connects to a computer via the FTDI usb
>to serial converter driver. I'm having a problem with the scanner jumping
>around to different ports after rebooting the computer. This causes a
>problem when clients try to use the scanner.
>
>Is there a why that I can scan the com port to see what hardware is
>connected? If not, how to others solve this problem?
>
>thanks in advance,
>Lou

XP has a bug associated with assigning com port addresses to USB
devices. Every time the device is connected, it is assigned a
higher com port number. In the advanced section of the com port
setup in device manager when the device is connected, you can
just reassign the port number for the device to a lower port
number that you know is not in use, and ignore the windows
warning. I've done this with my USB/serial port adapter and XP
seems to remember the assigned com port after that. Check the
link below for some info.

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/xptip.asp

LH

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005

Thank you very very much. You have made my life so much better. I've been
mulling over this issue for more than a week.