Sound Blaster Live 5.1 AND 24-Bit won’t be detected

Computer Specs:
3200+ AMD Athlon 64-bit
ECS EliteGroup 755-A2
Geforce 4 Ti-4200
512 DDR ram

ok so i buy a new sound card (Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit) today and i
installed it in a pci slot. I turned on the computer and it doesn’t
detect it, even if i go in to my control panel > device manager. I
then try a different slot and it still doesn’t detect it. i then goto
my bios and disable onboard audio AC97 but the sound blaster still
didn’t get detected. I thought my sound card could be broken so I took
this sound card and installed it on to my bro’s computer which is an
AMD Athlon 1.2 ghz Thunder bird and the sound blaster gets detected!
What’s wrong with my computer? Why can’t it be detected? Is it the
mother board?? cause if it is, then wouldn’t ALL pci slots not work?
When i switched the slots for the sound card, i switched it to a slot
where it DID work with my network card was inserted before. I doubt my
mother board is broken physically but i DO think it has to do with my
bios. Help please! I just flashed my bios and it still doesn’t work...

ANOTHER PROBLEM:
I then tried to use the integrated sound card and it has drivers
installed like said in device manager and the control panel but no
sounds are comming out, no matter how many times i reinstalled the
drivers (updated ones too). I plugged in the speakers to all the holes
to see if theres any output, but still there isn’t. WTF is wrong with
my computer and sounds.... gr!

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Sound-Blaster-Live-24-Bit-won-detected-ftopict550076.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1741685

Have you tried
http://www.soundblaster.com/support/

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"MadTrap347" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Computer Specs:
> 3200+ AMD Athlon 64-bit
> ECS EliteGroup 755-A2
> Geforce 4 Ti-4200
> 512 DDR ram
>
> ok so i buy a new sound card (Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit) today and i
> installed it in a pci slot. I turned on the computer and it doesn’t
> detect it, even if i go in to my control panel > device manager. I
> then try a different slot and it still doesn’t detect it. i then goto
> my bios and disable onboard audio AC97 but the sound blaster still
> didn’t get detected. I thought my sound card could be broken so I took
> this sound card and installed it on to my bro’s computer which is an
> AMD Athlon 1.2 ghz Thunder bird and the sound blaster gets detected!
> What’s wrong with my computer? Why can’t it be detected? Is it the
> mother board?? cause if it is, then wouldn’t ALL pci slots not work?
> When i switched the slots for the sound card, i switched it to a slot
> where it DID work with my network card was inserted before. I doubt my
> mother board is broken physically but i DO think it has to do with my
> bios. Help please! I just flashed my bios and it still doesn’t work...
>

> ANOTHER PROBLEM:
> I then tried to use the integrated sound card and it has drivers
> installed like said in device manager and the control panel but no
> sounds are comming out, no matter how many times i reinstalled the
> drivers (updated ones too). I plugged in the speakers to all the holes
> to see if theres any output, but still there isn’t. WTF is wrong with
> my computer and sounds.... gr!

> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Sound-Blaster-Live-24-Bit-won-detected-ftopict550076.html

Did you install the driver files?

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

On 25 Jun 2005 15:36:41 -0400, MadTrap347 wrote:

> Computer Specs:
> 3200+ AMD Athlon 64-bit
> ECS EliteGroup 755-A2
> Geforce 4 Ti-4200
> 512 DDR ram
>
> ok so i buy a new sound card (Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit) today and i
> installed it in a pci slot. I turned on the computer and it doesn’t
> detect it, even if i go in to my control panel > device manager. I
> then try a different slot and it still doesn’t detect it. i then goto
> my bios and disable onboard audio AC97 but the sound blaster still
> didn’t get detected. I thought my sound card could be broken so I took
> this sound card and installed it on to my bro’s computer which is an
> AMD Athlon 1.2 ghz Thunder bird and the sound blaster gets detected!
> What’s wrong with my computer? Why can’t it be detected? Is it the
> mother board?? cause if it is, then wouldn’t ALL pci slots not work?
> When i switched the slots for the sound card, i switched it to a slot
> where it DID work with my network card was inserted before. I doubt my
> mother board is broken physically but i DO think it has to do with my
> bios. Help please! I just flashed my bios and it still doesn’t work...
>

> ANOTHER PROBLEM:
> I then tried to use the integrated sound card and it has drivers
> installed like said in device manager and the control panel but no
> sounds are comming out, no matter how many times i reinstalled the
> drivers (updated ones too). I plugged in the speakers to all the holes
> to see if theres any output, but still there isn’t. WTF is wrong with
> my computer and sounds.... gr!

On one board that I've used, not only did the onboard sound have to be
disabled but there were additional settings in BIOS that reserved legacy
resources. Those had to be disabled as well.

Don't know about your speakers. Some have external power requirements,
physical volume controls...

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User