CD DRIVE CAN'T OPEN

June 25, 2005 8:33:44 PM

I push the button of a cd drive but it doesn't open. It makes strange
noises. There is no disc inside. Could it be maybe hot weather or something.
What can I do?

More about : drive open

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 8:33:45 PM

Replace your defective CD Drive with a new one...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Random Guy" wrote:

| I push the button of a cd drive but it doesn't open. It makes strange
| noises. There is no disc inside. Could it be maybe hot weather or something.
| What can I do?
June 25, 2005 8:33:46 PM

My laptop does that when it's processing a lot... you might have to restart.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Replace your defective CD Drive with a new one...
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Random Guy" wrote:
>
> | I push the button of a cd drive but it doesn't open. It makes strange
> | noises. There is no disc inside. Could it be maybe hot weather or something.
> | What can I do?

June 25, 2005 11:21:23 PM

Random Guy wrote:

> I push the button of a cd drive but it doesn't open. It makes strange
> noises. There is no disc inside. Could it be maybe hot weather or something.
> What can I do?

The most common cause is a crack in the primary tray drive gear, which
causes it to loose it's grip on the motor spindle.

It's usually possible to repair by filling the crack with super glue and
binding the gear with thin wire, but given the price of cd drives most
people just replace the drive.

Sunny
!