CD DRIVE CAN'T OPEN

I push the button of a cd drive but it doesn't open. It makes strange
noises. There is no disc inside. Could it be maybe hot weather or something.
What can I do?
3 answers Last reply
More about drive open

    Replace your defective CD Drive with a new one...

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Random Guy" wrote:

    | I push the button of a cd drive but it doesn't open. It makes strange
    | noises. There is no disc inside. Could it be maybe hot weather or something.
    | What can I do?

    My laptop does that when it's processing a lot... you might have to restart.

    Random Guy wrote:

    > I push the button of a cd drive but it doesn't open. It makes strange
    > noises. There is no disc inside. Could it be maybe hot weather or something.
    > What can I do?

    The most common cause is a crack in the primary tray drive gear, which
    causes it to loose it's grip on the motor spindle.

    It's usually possible to repair by filling the crack with super glue and
    binding the gear with thin wire, but given the price of cd drives most
    people just replace the drive.

    Sunny

Hardware CD Drives Microsoft Windows XP