Tyan Thunder K8SE (S2892)

Hi,

Some time ago Tyan introduced it's new Opteron server board, the Thunder
K8SE (S2892). Since that time I have been looking forward to it, but it
seems that there's no way to get it.

Does anybody know when it will be available in the Netherlands (or
somewhere else in Europe)?

Thanks,

Scourger
5 answers Last reply
More about tyan thunder k8se s2892
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Some time ago Tyan introduced it's new Opteron server board,
    > the Thunder
    > K8SE (S2892). Since that time I have been looking forward to
    > it, but it
    > seems that there's no way to get it.
    >
    > Does anybody know when it will be available in the Netherlands
    > (or
    > somewhere else in Europe)?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Scourger

    eBay is your best bet. They’re selling really cheap too.

    I’ve got an extra one, let me know if you want it =D

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Tyan-Thunder-K8SE-S2892-ftopict57523.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=295360
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    "mdma" wrote:
    > eBay is your best bet. They're selling really cheap too.
    >
    > I've got an extra one, let me know if you want it =D

    If you could tell me what type of setup you have I would appreciate
    it. I have the same board, but can’t get past the POST. The BIOS reads
    everything correctly, but I receive the BIOS beep code 1-1-2-1.
    Phoenix states "Get CPU type" for this code. The setup is a
    barebones with the following:
    1 stick of Kingston KVR400D4R3A/1G (in CPU1 DimmA1)
    2 AMD 246 Opterons
    Power Supply - COOLER MASTER Real Power RS-550-ACLY ATX12V/ EPS12V
    550W
    I received the processor/board from the AMD/Microsoft tech tour.
    The reason I am posting here is because I can find nearly no support
    from Tyan or AMD.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    I have the same motherboard. My manual doesn't show a 1-1-2-1 beep
    code, so I'm not sure what that code means on a Tyan board. "Get CPU
    type" is the third thing listed in the POST code list, so if the code is
    accurate you're not getting far at all. Have you tried the CPUs one at
    a time? You could have a bad CPU.

    You also have a problem with the RAM. I have Crucial memory in my
    computer. If you go to www.crucial.com and go through their
    configuration utility for the K8SE you'll see that they list memory as
    "4 banks of 2", meaning that the RAM has to be installed two sticks at a
    time. I also checked the Kingston web site, and they say that memory on
    the K8SE must be installed in pairs. In section 2.9 of the manual it
    says to start installing memory in CPU1_DIMMB2.

    Martin

    judeman2002 wrote:
    > "mdma" wrote:
    > > eBay is your best bet. They're selling really cheap too.
    > >
    > > I've got an extra one, let me know if you want it =D
    >
    > If you could tell me what type of setup you have I would appreciate
    > it. I have the same board, but can’t get past the POST. The BIOS reads
    > everything correctly, but I receive the BIOS beep code 1-1-2-1.
    > Phoenix states "Get CPU type" for this code. The setup is a
    > barebones with the following:
    > 1 stick of Kingston KVR400D4R3A/1G (in CPU1 DimmA1)
    > 2 AMD 246 Opterons
    > Power Supply - COOLER MASTER Real Power RS-550-ACLY ATX12V/ EPS12V
    > 550W
    > I received the processor/board from the AMD/Microsoft tech tour.
    > The reason I am posting here is because I can find nearly no support
    > from Tyan or AMD.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > I have the same motherboard. My manual doesn't show a 1-1-2-1
    > beep
    > code, so I'm not sure what that code means on a Tyan board.
    > "Get CPU
    > type" is the third thing listed in the POST code list, so if
    > the code is
    > accurate you're not getting far at all. Have you tried the
    > CPUs one at
    > a time? You could have a bad CPU.
    >
    > You also have a problem with the RAM. I have Crucial memory
    > in my
    > computer. If you go to www.crucial.com and go through their
    > configuration utility for the K8SE you'll see that they list
    > memory as
    > "4 banks of 2", meaning that the RAM has to be installed two
    > sticks at a
    > time. I also checked the Kingston web site, and they say that
    > memory on
    > the K8SE must be installed in pairs. In section 2.9 of the
    > manual it
    > says to start installing memory in CPU1_DIMMB2.
    >
    > Martin
    >
    > judeman2002 wrote:
    > > "mdma" wrote:
    > > > eBay is your best bet. They're selling really cheap too.
    > > >
    > > > I've got an extra one, let me know if you want it =D
    > >
    > > If you could tell me what type of setup you have I would
    > appreciate
    > > it. I have the same board, but can’t get past the POST. The
    > BIOS reads
    > > everything correctly, but I receive the BIOS beep code
    > 1-1-2-1.
    > > Phoenix states "Get CPU type" for this code. The setup is a
    > > barebones with the following:
    > > 1 stick of Kingston KVR400D4R3A/1G (in CPU1 DimmA1)
    > > 2 AMD 246 Opterons
    > > Power Supply - COOLER MASTER Real Power RS-550-ACLY ATX12V/
    > EPS12V
    > > 550W
    > > I received the processor/board from the AMD/Microsoft tech
    > tour.
    > > The reason I am posting here is because I can find nearly no
    > support
    > > from Tyan or AMD.
    > > Any help would be appreciated.

    The beep code in the manual are in hexdecimal. If you break it down it
    converts to 1-1-2-1 in binary, which is "Get CPU Type". I have tried
    with the one processor and with different memory configs. Right now I
    am trying to figure out how to rma the board or the CPUs. MS contacted
    us about the tech tour (customer survey), but when we told them about
    the problem, they rushed us off the phone and couldn’t give us any
    contact info...I am at a lost..all that googles is registration sites
    basicly...anyway,
    thanx for the reply

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Tyan-Thunder-K8SE-S2892-ftopict57523.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=307351
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    I did a Google search on "Phoenix beep codes" and found a page that does
    show 1-1-2-1 as "Get CPU type". The Tyan manual does not show this
    code. I'm not sure what you mean about hexadecimal. The beep codes
    aren't a simple translation of the BIOS step (beep code 1-1-2-1 goes
    with step 02h), and 1121 decimal would convert to 461h.

    As to returning the CPUs and/or the motherboard, what's been posted on
    the discussion groups I've read is to call or email the Tyan Marketing
    Department for help and/or instructions. The main phone number for Tyan
    is (510)651-8868. email would be marketing@tyan.com

    Martin

Tyan Thunder Motherboards