XP Media Center wont boot

June 26, 2005 12:27:03 PM

Hi,
My toshiba laptop has OEM version of XP media center 4.0. It crashed
recently when i was using partition magic. It wont boot now and would display
BSOD.
I downloaded set of bootable disks for XP Professional (since there is none
for XP media center) using
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?display...

But it wont let me install. It would ask for third floppy and than i would
get never ending message of "Please Wait".

I went to support of partition magic and they say that i have to run chkdsk
/f to repair it. So kindly let me know what should i do to get recovery
console.

I am sure that i dont have SP2 on my machine.

More about : media center wont boot

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:45:33 PM

Windows XP Pro setup disks will only work with Windows XP Pro
and not Windows Media Center. Why didn't you make a set of
"rescue disks" when prompted to do so by Partition Magic?

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"mac" wrote:

| Hi,
| My toshiba laptop has OEM version of XP media center 4.0. It crashed
| recently when i was using partition magic. It wont boot now and would display
| BSOD.
| I downloaded set of bootable disks for XP Professional (since there is none
| for XP media center) using
| http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?display...
|
| But it wont let me install. It would ask for third floppy and than i would
| get never ending message of "Please Wait".
|
| I went to support of partition magic and they say that i have to run chkdsk
| /f to repair it. So kindly let me know what should i do to get recovery
| console.
|
| I am sure that i dont have SP2 on my machine.
June 26, 2005 2:45:34 PM

Carey,

Thanks for your response. Is there any way i can get bootable disk for
media center or is there any software that can read files in the format done
my partition magic..as i tried couple of file recovery softwares but it wont
read those files.

Is there any way i can get my files back...

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Windows XP Pro setup disks will only work with Windows XP Pro
> and not Windows Media Center. Why didn't you make a set of
> "rescue disks" when prompted to do so by Partition Magic?
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "mac" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> | My toshiba laptop has OEM version of XP media center 4.0. It crashed
> | recently when i was using partition magic. It wont boot now and would display
> | BSOD.
> | I downloaded set of bootable disks for XP Professional (since there is none
> | for XP media center) using
> | http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?display...
> |
> | But it wont let me install. It would ask for third floppy and than i would
> | get never ending message of "Please Wait".
> |
> | I went to support of partition magic and they say that i have to run chkdsk
> | /f to repair it. So kindly let me know what should i do to get recovery
> | console.
> |
> | I am sure that i dont have SP2 on my machine.

Related resources
June 26, 2005 11:46:01 PM

Do you know of any link that will allow me to create bootable disk for XP
media center.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 2:23:33 PM

No, there is no bootable setup floppy disks available
for Windows Media Center Edition. The CD itself
is bootable when you set the CD Drive as the first
bootable device in the BIOS.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"mac" wrote:

| Do you know of any link that will allow me to create bootable disk for XP
| media center.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:11:23 PM

Chkdsk /f is likely to corrupt it even more than it is now, if you were in
the midst of a Partition Magic operation. Your best bet would be to take the
drive out and put it in another computer to see if you can salvage any of
the data. If that doesn't work, a computer shop with good recovery software
might help. or a data recovery company.

Once you've either gotten the data or given up on it, a clean install is
likely your best bet.

!