Computer Automatically Shuts Down

moh4mm4d Wrote:
> Hey ppl,
> i hav a mjor problem my computer automatically shuts dwn while im using
> it for no reason, i dont get a error message or anything, im pretty sure
> its a Hardware problem because i rebooted my computer and installd
> windows XP and it still did it, ne ideas??
>
> Thanx

Forgt to gv details on my hardware:
1.5 Ghz AMD Sempron 2800 Processor
256 DDR Ram

2 Drives: Master CDRW Drive
Slave DVDRW Drive

2 Hard Disk Drives: Master 40Gb Drive
Slave 20Gb Drive

--
moh4mm4d
1 answer Last reply

    moh4mm4d wrote:

    > moh4mm4d Wrote:
    >> Hey ppl,
    >> i hav a mjor problem my computer automatically shuts dwn while im
    >> using it for no reason, i dont get a error message or anything, im
    >> pretty sure its a Hardware problem because i rebooted my computer and
    >> installd windows XP and it still did it, ne ideas??
    >>
    >> Thanx
    >
    > Forgt to gv details on my hardware:
    > 1.5 Ghz AMD Sempron 2800 Processor
    > 256 DDR Ram
    >
    > 2 Drives: Master CDRW Drive
    > Slave DVDRW Drive
    >
    > 2 Hard Disk Drives: Master 40Gb Drive
    > Slave 20Gb Drive

    Here are general hardware troubleshooting steps:

    1) Open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
    observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing). Obviously
    you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the fan is running
    and feel if the laptop is getting too hot.

    2) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
    have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
    download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
    the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
    need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
    download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
    In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
    immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time - unless
    errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

    3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Usually
    you will download the file and make a bootable floppy with it. Boot
    with the media and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical
    errors, replace it.

    4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
    you have in the system. The adequacy issue doesn't really apply to a
    laptop, although of course the power
    supply can be faulty.

    5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
    www.tufftest.com. Sometimes this is useful, and sometimes it isn't.

    Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts
    with known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
    uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a professional
    computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com