Voice Modems under WinXP with TAM Software

SCORPIO

I would like to know from folks who have Telephone Answering Machine
software setup on their PCs what Voice Modems and what software they are
using and how they would rate their combinations. So far I have tried two
PCI Voice Modems and 1 External (3Com USRobotics) Voice Modem but my
software IVM Answering Attendant refuses to recognise all three as true
voice modems. This software worked with a pci voice modem in the past but
under Windows 95. Now I have upgraded to Windows XP and cannot get any of my
3 modems to work with the software. Hence I would like to study what other
folks are using and will be obliged for feedback, if you don't mind. Thanks
in advance for any comments. I need not add that I tried asking the software
manufacturer for advice but the firm is unable to comment on suitable modems
in the market.

I use Multitech's Multimodem MT5656ZDX-V voice modems. They are external
(RS-232), and I have used two concurrently without driver problems or
conflicts. (I once used one of them with IVM.)

What I need is a decent TAM program. I had been using Call Audit Voice,
because it had all the features I needed (two-line PLUS Distinctive Ring
support). But that program is unstable to the point of being unusable.
Before getting the Multitech modems, I tried all sorts of combinations of
internal and external voice modems -- about 8 total. I could never get
things to work properly, and Mountain Systems kept blaming the modems. So I
purchased the Multitechs -- which are usually used in RAS applications with
16 modems plugged into the same server. Then I started running into
mountains of problems that had nothing to do with the modems. Call Audit is
very fond of "disappearing" -- something will happen that causes it to
crash. And without warning, alert, error, etc., the program just ceases to
exist. This is not good when you're expecting the machine to answer calls
.... I was never able to get it to properly or consistently forward messages
or notify me of incoming messages. Nor was I able to set it up to forward
calls. Nor was I able to set up the IVR and voicemail structures I wanted --
the program kept "disappearing" on me while I was trying to program it. Nor
could I rely on it to answer calls -- many times, the program would take a
call, then "disappear." Mountain Systems blamed the PC, then the OS, but the
fact is that I tried running that program on six different PCs and on
Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows SBS 2003 -- all with the
same disastrous consequences. I haven't used the program in about eight
months.

I am looking for a voicemail app, preferably one that I can use on my SBS
2003 server. But I need it to work with two lines, each with multiple
Distinctive Rings:

- Line 1, ring 1 = voicemail path 1
- Line 1, ring 2 = voicemail path 2
- Line 2, ring 1 = fax
- Line 2, ring 2 = voicemail path 2
- Line 2, ring 3 = don't answer (RAS)

I need the same voicemail path to be triggered by both lines, because one
line is the target of the other line's Call Forwarding/Busy and Call
Forwarding/Don't Answer features.

When I first tried IVM, I couldn't get it to properly recognize the various
Distinctive Ring cadences -- and it could only recognize two DRs per line,
not three. And IVM was only a one-line solution. (But IVM had no complaints
with the Multitech modems.)

I tried another program (I forget the name) which worked beautifully -- but
it too was a single-line solution.

If anyone knows of a decent voicemail program that I can use in the scenario
detailed above, please let me know what it is!

Thanks,
CL

"Scorpio" <scorpio@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know from folks who have Telephone Answering Machine
>software setup on their PCs what Voice Modems and what software they are
>using and how they would rate their combinations. So far I have tried two
>PCI Voice Modems and 1 External (3Com USRobotics) Voice Modem but my
>software IVM Answering Attendant refuses to recognise all three as true
>voice modems. This software worked with a pci voice modem in the past but
>under Windows 95. Now I have upgraded to Windows XP and cannot get any of
>my 3 modems to work with the software. Hence I would like to study what
>other folks are using and will be obliged for feedback, if you don't mind.
>Thanks in advance for any comments. I need not add that I tried asking the
>software manufacturer for advice but the firm is unable to comment on
>suitable modems in the market.

If you application is home use, you may want to try ClassicPhoneTools -
software came with an Agere Modem. Ironically I'm using my old Diamond
SupraMax 56K modem for dialup connection and the Agere as TAM/fax. Look at
Pricewatch.com under voice modems for other choices - suggest >$10. package.
The only drawback found is starting the application in XP- thus far have to
login to activate - this is not as Win98SE when you installed runinbackground
program- it installed and ran at bootup. Also watch that driver description
includes XP compatible, as I found no signed modem drivers for any that I
reviewed. If you need a business application, no info here.

"Scorpio" wrote:

> I would like to know from folks who have Telephone Answering Machine
> software setup on their PCs what Voice Modems and what software they are
> using and how they would rate their combinations. So far I have tried two
> PCI Voice Modems and 1 External (3Com USRobotics) Voice Modem but my
> software IVM Answering Attendant refuses to recognise all three as true
> voice modems. This software worked with a pci voice modem in the past but
> under Windows 95. Now I have upgraded to Windows XP and cannot get any of my
> 3 modems to work with the software. Hence I would like to study what other
> folks are using and will be obliged for feedback, if you don't mind. Thanks
> in advance for any comments. I need not add that I tried asking the software
> manufacturer for advice but the firm is unable to comment on suitable modems
> in the market.

TRENDING THREADS