How come some of these games are jerky and I have an Athlo..

Some of these games play jerky. They play smoother at the
arcade and there was no Athlon 64 computers even 10 years ago.
What kind of cpu were in those arcade boxes?

which games??

might be something else.

but you might need a 10ghz cpu too.

For example, King of Fighters. The screen is all jerky. The
dust is blowing across and erasing what's under it seems like.

In article <1113940780.394552.148550
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, ugo_lavoie@hotmail.com says...
> which games??
>
> might be something else.
>

> but you might need a 10ghz cpu too.

JC

BillT wrote:
> Some of these games play jerky. They play smoother at the
> arcade and there was no Athlon 64 computers even 10 years ago.
> What kind of cpu were in those arcade boxes?

It is called E-M-U-L-A-T-I-O-N

MAME emulates the CPUs and GPUs and sound chips. Emulating a processor,
even with a faster processor, is slow.

JC wrote on 19. April 2005:

> BillT wrote:
>> Some of these games play jerky. They play smoother at the arcade
>> and there was no Athlon 64 computers even 10 years ago. What kind
>> of cpu were in those arcade boxes?
>
> It is called E-M-U-L-A-T-I-O-N
>
> MAME emulates the CPUs and GPUs and sound chips. Emulating a
> processor, even with a faster processor, is slow.

The whole machine, but the coin door.
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* BillT wrote in alt.games.mame:

> For example, King of Fighters. The screen is all jerky. The
> dust is blowing across and erasing what's under it seems like.

Just so you know, there are several KOF ROMs, which one is giving you
problems? What version of MAME are you running?

Please dont top post in here, thanks!

--
David
The worst cliques are those which consist of one man.

There were several there I tried, I think it might have been
2000. It seemed slowing and jerky too on metal slug.

Even with emulation, I would think that the cpu we have now is
100 times better than the cpus back then so that should more
than make up for emulation.

In article <pshgj2xmib.ln2@news.gates_of_hell.com>,
99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid says...
> * BillT wrote in alt.games.mame:
>
> > For example, King of Fighters. The screen is all jerky. The
> > dust is blowing across and erasing what's under it seems like.
>
> Just so you know, there are several KOF ROMs, which one is giving you
> problems? What version of MAME are you running?
>
> Please dont top post in here, thanks!

SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> * BillT wrote in alt.games.mame:
>> For example, King of Fighters. The screen is all jerky. The
>> dust is blowing across and erasing what's under it seems like.
> Just so you know, there are several KOF ROMs, which one is giving you
> problems? What version of MAME are you running?
> Please dont top post in here, thanks!

Yeah, there are like 9 different sequals, plus the clones, etc (SNK has
made a yearly release of KoF since '94)

You might want to check out FastMAME. (http://www.geoshock.com)

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

BillT <t@sd.bss> wrote in frenzy of gak fuelled meyhem

> There were several there I tried, I think it might have been
> 2000. It seemed slowing and jerky too on metal slug.
>
> Even with emulation, I would think that the cpu we have now is
> 100 times better than the cpus back then so that should more
> than make up for emulation.
>
> In article <pshgj2xmib.ln2@news.gates_of_hell.com>,
> 99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid says...
>> * BillT wrote in alt.games.mame:
>>
>> > For example, King of Fighters. The screen is all jerky. The
>> > dust is blowing across and erasing what's under it seems like.
>>
>> Just so you know, there are several KOF ROMs, which one is giving you
>> problems? What version of MAME are you running?
>>
>> Please dont top post in here, thanks!

It could be emulation, or it could be the actual hardware..

Whilst playing, press F10 (or F11 I forget which) & 9in the top right
corner will show a FPS...

If this is at a constant 60/60 then your CPU is not the bottleneck & its
likely the cause is the original hardware slowing down on the original
board.

If it fluctutes, then it is the CPU thats the cause. & you can either try
different frameskips to see if it makes a difference, or get a faster
CPU.

Thanks for helping, thanks to the others also.

Too many smartasses here, I don't know what they're trying to
achieve. If it's trying to be funny, then they should hit the
comedy circuit and try to make some money.

In article <Xns963E52D8F431Cmarkrosstombstonesor@63.223.5.251>,
mark.ross@removeallthisspam.tombstones.spamagain.org.uk says...
> BillT <t@sd.bss> wrote in frenzy of gak fuelled meyhem
>

> > There were several there I tried, I think it might have been
> > 2000. It seemed slowing and jerky too on metal slug.
> >
> > Even with emulation, I would think that the cpu we have now is
> > 100 times better than the cpus back then so that should more
> > than make up for emulation.
> >
> > In article <pshgj2xmib.ln2@news.gates_of_hell.com>,
> > 99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid says...

> >> Just so you know, there are several KOF ROMs, which one is giving you
> >> problems? What version of MAME are you running?
> >>
> >> Please dont top post in here, thanks!
> >>

> It could be emulation, or it could be the actual hardware..
>
> Whilst playing, press F10 (or F11 I forget which) & 9in the top right
> corner will show a FPS...
>
> If this is at a constant 60/60 then your CPU is not the bottleneck & its
> likely the cause is the original hardware slowing down on the original
> board.
>
> If it fluctutes, then it is the CPU thats the cause. & you can either try
> different frameskips to see if it makes a difference, or get a faster
> CPU.

BillT played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather and
concrete saxophone

> Even with emulation, I would think that the cpu we have now is
> 100 times better than the cpus back then so that should more
> than make up for emulation.

Then you would think wrong.

--
Neil

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

BillT wrote:
> Some of these games play jerky. They play smoother at the
> arcade and there was no Athlon 64 computers even 10 years ago.
> What kind of cpu were in those arcade boxes?

You havent got a 'turbo' button on the front of your case have you ;-)

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...

MCR's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:

> BillT wrote:
>> Some of these games play jerky. They play smoother at the
>> arcade and there was no Athlon 64 computers even 10 years ago.
>> What kind of cpu were in those arcade boxes?
>
> You havent got a 'turbo' button on the front of your case have you ;-)

OOOH OOOH! My Athlon64 has one of those!

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Hellmark Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> MCR's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
> body were:
>
>> BillT wrote:
>>> Some of these games play jerky. They play smoother at the
>>> arcade and there was no Athlon 64 computers even 10 years ago.
>>> What kind of cpu were in those arcade boxes?
>>
>> You havent got a 'turbo' button on the front of your case have
>> you ;-)
>
> OOOH OOOH! My Athlon64 has one of those!

My old 486 DX2 had one of those too :)

--
David

BillT wrote:
> In article <Xns963E52D8F431Cmarkrosstombstonesor@63.223.5.251>,
> mark.ross@removeallthisspam.tombstones.spamagain.org.uk says...
>
>>BillT <t@sd.bss> wrote in frenzy of gak fuelled meyhem
>>

>>>There were several there I tried, I think it might have been
>>>2000. It seemed slowing and jerky too on metal slug.
>>>
>>>Even with emulation, I would think that the cpu we have now is
>>>100 times better than the cpus back then so that should more
>>>than make up for emulation.
>>>
>>>In article <pshgj2xmib.ln2@news.gates_of_hell.com>,
>>>99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid says...

>>It could be emulation, or it could be the actual hardware..
>>
>>Whilst playing, press F10 (or F11 I forget which) & 9in the top right
>>corner will show a FPS...
>>
>>If this is at a constant 60/60 then your CPU is not the bottleneck & its
>>likely the cause is the original hardware slowing down on the original
>>board.
>>
>>If it fluctutes, then it is the CPU thats the cause. & you can either try
>>different frameskips to see if it makes a difference, or get a faster
>>CPU.
>>

> Thanks for helping, thanks to the others also.
>
> Too many smartasses here, I don't know what they're trying to
> achieve. If it's trying to be funny, then they should hit the
> comedy circuit and try to make some money.

Don't be too hard on them. If it was something that can actually be
solved, they can be /extremely/ helpful.

Unfortunately, MAMEDev is only interested in getting the games
/running/, not running /well/. (As one fellow put it, ".....seem to use
a 'Rube Goldberg' problem-solving approach to some problems.")
Fortunately, the FastMAME crew have optimized MAME somewhat, so you
might want to give it a try. (http://www.geoshock.com)

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

SINNER wrote:
> * Hellmark Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>

>>MCR's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
>>body were:

>>>You havent got a 'turbo' button on the front of your case have
>>>you ;-)
>>
>>OOOH OOOH! My Athlon64 has one of those!
>>

> My old 486 DX2 had one of those too :)

Mine too. Thats why I made the comment :)

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...

El Rossi played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather and
concrete saxophone

<snip>
> Thats all well and good.. But youd be best putting the A64 into a mobo as
> well as a case..
> You wont get much performace from it just having it sitting in the case.

Maybe not but it's REALLY shiny!

Dire Radiant <visionism@geemale.com> wrote in frenzy of gak fuelled
meyhem news:pan.2005.04.21.12.27.49.562000@geemale.com:

> El Rossi played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
> and concrete saxophone
>
> <snip>
>> Thats all well and good.. But youd be best putting the A64 into a
>> mobo as well as a case..
>> You wont get much performace from it just having it sitting in the
>> case.
>
> Maybe not but it's REALLY shiny!

Your rubbing the wrong part to make it shiny!!

Not to mention, youll end up with wankers apple.... ;-)