Hotmail - connect directly, or use ActiveSync w/Outlook?

July 23, 2004 4:33:46 AM

Is there a way to synchronize directly with an HTTP email account, such as
Hotmail? It appears that I can only set up direct connections with POP3 or
IMAP4 servers.

In the meantime, I set up Outlook on my laptop to retrieve emails from my
Hotmail account. This is working fine; I have one set of folders for
Hotmail, and another set of default "personal" folders which are empty.

When I try to use ActiveSync to synchronize my email to my iPAQ, it only
copies over the default "personal" folders. I can't seem to get the iPAQ or
ActiveSync to look at the Hotmail folders.

Can anybody help with either issue?

Thanks!
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 4:40:42 PM

"KeyzerSoz1" <keyzersoz1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to synchronize directly with an HTTP email account, such as
> Hotmail? It appears that I can only set up direct connections with POP3
> or
> IMAP4 servers.
>
> In the meantime, I set up Outlook on my laptop to retrieve emails from my
> Hotmail account. This is working fine; I have one set of folders for
> Hotmail, and another set of default "personal" folders which are empty.
>
> When I try to use ActiveSync to synchronize my email to my iPAQ, it only
> copies over the default "personal" folders. I can't seem to get the iPAQ
> or
> ActiveSync to look at the Hotmail folders.
>
> Can anybody help with either issue?
>
> Thanks!

Hi,

Activesync will synchronize only the main Inbox provided in Outlook. All
other Inboxs created are ignored. You might want to take a look at third
party software to download Hotmail to your PPC ---

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=9539

Another time-consuming option would be to manually move the e-mails into the
main Inbox. Select the mail -> right-click -> Choose Move to Folder.
Unfortunately, rules in Outlook do not work for HTTP e-mail accounts to
re-direct the mail folder location.

--
Regards,
Raj