Tyan K8SE Questions, 1 second power up, fried Power Supply

So I'm building a computer with a Tyan K8SE.

The power supply is a 650w redundant EPS from a Intel SC5200.

I usually test the motherboard and power supply without any chips/RAM
first to make sure everything is okay.

I give the motherboard power and some fans start spinning -- the two
exhaust fans, the 4 pin front pan, but not the two fans plugged into
the connectors at the rear of the board. The lights light up across the
board on the ethernet, etc. And then everything goes dead. Is this
normal behavior for the board?

I give it power again, and one of the power supply modules goes up in
smoke (there are two power supply models in the cage). The other one is
fine and shows a normal LED condition. The fried module is permanently
failed and the LED light shows a fault condition for the supply.

This was a new power supply. So my question is, is my board screwed?
Did I do something real bad? OR was the power supply module just DOA? I
can get another module, but now am I very worried and afraid to throw
CPUs, RAM, etc. at the board.
1 answer Last reply
More about tyan k8se questions power fried power supply
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    sspunty@gmail.com writes:
    > I give it power again, and one of the power supply modules goes up in
    > smoke (there are two power supply models in the cage). The other one is
    > fine and shows a normal LED condition. The fried module is permanently
    > failed and the LED light shows a fault condition for the supply.

    As far as I can tell, tyan has power-supply problems. My k8e
    (different board w. only a single amd64 cpu) can't start on a 430 watt
    Seasonic s12-430, which has more than enough current on the 12v line
    to run the mobo. With 20 or so flips of the power switch it starts
    maybe once. The most likely flips to start are the once where there
    is a very brief off period.

    I wish tyan support would forward the observation to engineering and
    have them quantify the start-up current requirements. My gut feel is
    that one of their onboard regulators is taking way too much current to
    start up and pulling down the supply. It may well be a bad design
    that fails to keep the onboard PS logic from turning on until the main
    supply has stabilized a bit.

    -wolfgang

Tyan Power Supplies Motherboards