Matsonic mobo only boots once without reset... ?

After a series of unfortunate events, my machine is now up and running
with a matsonic mobo # ms8308ep(266)

Installed winxphome, did the activation thing, all is well except... I
can only boot once without a strange problem. Try to restart, and I
cant get past the windows loading screen.

What happens is this... windows xp starts to load, the little bar
scrolls across 2 or 3 times, and then the video goes out. PC seems to
be loading, can't tell for sure cause ctrl+alt+del does nothing, so I
dont really know.

Anyway, here is the clue: if I reset the bios (with the jumper by the
cmos) I can boot again - once - just fine. I get the bios warning "CMOS
memory size wrong" and a choice for F1/setup or F2/load default and
continue. But F2 does the trick, windows loads perfectly and I am in.

However, if I restart, I go back to no video once windows starts to
load.

I can boot up in safe mode no problem at any time. But I can only get
back to windows if I reset the CMOS (jumper).

This makes me think it is something in the bios... but what? What could
the setting be that would cause this???

I don't know how old the mobo is, or how long it sat on the shelf. But
from the run once description you're giving, it sounds like the cmos
battery needs to be replaced. Check your manual or the web site for
that model of mobo, to see where the battery is located.
Usually about the size of a nickel.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

I already tried swapping the cmos batt just in case... but I am only
getting that error because I am resetting the mobo. On the next boot
there is no cmos warning.

I think this must be some sort of bios / vid driver thing, but have no
idea how to proceed.

I dl'd the mobo's vid driver from matsonic (i have no setup cd for this
board) an installed it, xp grabbed it and I thought 'yes!' but still no
change... ???

HAH!
Went into safe mode... uninstalled 'display adapter' in device manager,
and rebooted... 3 times now with no problems!

maybe I screwed something up with the matsonic vid driver... geesh.

anyway, thank you very much for your help & suggestions... fingers
crossed, but so far all seems well.

Michael 23,
Thanks for posting back with your fix. This sharing of information is
what it's all about. You and I will never know, but your solution may
well have helped someone else out.
Glad you got it sorted out & fixed.
Best,
Treeman