Disk Checker wont work at start up. Help!

Hello!
I run the disk error checker allow it to run at start up and I'm getting an
error message something like: Cant open volume, disk check stopping. I was
previously able to run the disk checker at start up with no problems.
Any ideas suggestions?
I greatly appreciate any help!

--
My PC & Me = Tranquility...
Until the Power Goes Out

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:AB83A5EA-0601-4ED5-A52E-B4C74A6CA694@microsoft.com,
Milk-Chan <MilkChan@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hello!
> I run the disk error checker allow it to run at start up and I'm
> getting an error message something like: Cant open volume, disk check
> stopping. I was previously able to run the disk checker at start up
> with no problems.
> Any ideas suggestions?
> I greatly appreciate any help!

Start > run > type "cmd" without the quotes and hit enter... In the new
screen type "chkdsk /f /r" (yes I know /r implies /f but that's not always
effective so use both switches) without the quotes and hit enter. You'll be
told it can't unlock the drive and it will ask if you want to schedule it
for the next reboot. Tell it yes that you do (enter "Y" in other words) and
hit enter. Reboot and get a cup of coffee.

That is if you have to check the C: drive for errors. If you're trying to
check an alternate drive you can just put the drive letter in there - say
chkdsk d: /f /r for instance.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Hi Galen, thx so much for answering!! However, that also did not work, I'm
still getting the cant open volume error after the PC restarts and starts the
check. Any ohter ideas? Another way to start the disk-checker without
starting certain things? I'm not an expert, so I hope I'm conveying my
thoughts in an understandable way.
I fear, there may be some HD errors, and I'd really like to see if i can fix
those.
Thanks again for any help!!
--
My PC & Me = Tranquility...
Until the Power Goes Out

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:AB83A5EA-0601-4ED5-A52E-B4C74A6CA694@microsoft.com,
> Milk-Chan <MilkChan@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > Hello!
> > I run the disk error checker allow it to run at start up and I'm
> > getting an error message something like: Cant open volume, disk check
> > stopping. I was previously able to run the disk checker at start up
> > with no problems.
> > Any ideas suggestions?
> > I greatly appreciate any help!
>
> Start > run > type "cmd" without the quotes and hit enter... In the new
> screen type "chkdsk /f /r" (yes I know /r implies /f but that's not always
> effective so use both switches) without the quotes and hit enter. You'll be
> told it can't unlock the drive and it will ask if you want to schedule it
> for the next reboot. Tell it yes that you do (enter "Y" in other words) and
> hit enter. Reboot and get a cup of coffee.
>
> That is if you have to check the C: drive for errors. If you're trying to
> check an alternate drive you can just put the drive letter in there - say
> chkdsk d: /f /r for instance.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:6A52A6AB-D5E2-46AF-A4AB-4AB50C8C64CF@microsoft.com,
Milk-Chan <MilkChan@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi Galen, thx so much for answering!! However, that also did not
> work, I'm still getting the cant open volume error after the PC
> restarts and starts the check. Any ohter ideas? Another way to start
> the disk-checker without starting certain things? I'm not an expert,
> so I hope I'm conveying my thoughts in an understandable way.
> I fear, there may be some HD errors, and I'd really like to see if i
> can fix those.
> Thanks again for any help!!

You can try it from the Recovery Console, that would be the next logical
step I believe.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314058

Using Recovery Console Commands :
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmb_tol_pzsk.asp

Basically you pop the CD in, reboot, at the choice menu select "R" to
repair, select the installation you want to log into, and from there you'd
run chkdsk /p /r though I think you can probably get away with just /r if
you'd rather. /r implies /p just like in the other but in RC it's more
likely to work better. Just to make sure you don't need to use it twice I'd
recommend that you use both switches though.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes