cannot upload pictures from canon powershot a510

June 28, 2005 2:21:01 AM

I just bought a canon powershot a510 and tried uploading pictures to my
computer using the supplied cable and software, but my computer does not
detect it. It doesn't even show up in the device manager when hook up the
camera through the back USB port.

i've tried using the "found new hardware wizard" but the message: an error
occurred during the installation of the device, the required section was not
found in the INF.

i've also tried "add new hardware" through the control panel and am able to
select the "canon digital camera," but the message: this device is not
configured correctly (code 1).

I've contacted canon, but they "if the PowerShot A510 is not showing up in
the Device Manager, this pinpoints a hardware issue. The Code 1 error is a
Windows error." Not really sure what all this means, but I haven't been able
to find a solution.

I've been reading other posts and am wondering if it has anything to do with
XP and SP2?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
June 28, 2005 10:21:24 AM

dyu wrote:

> I just bought a canon powershot a510 and tried uploading pictures to
> my computer using the supplied cable and software, but my computer
> does not
> detect it. It doesn't even show up in the device manager when hook up
> the camera through the back USB port.
>
> i've tried using the "found new hardware wizard" but the message: an
> error occurred during the installation of the device, the required
> section was not found in the INF.
>
> i've also tried "add new hardware" through the control panel and am
> able to
> select the "canon digital camera," but the message: this device is
> not configured correctly (code 1).
>
> I've contacted canon, but they "if the PowerShot A510 is not showing
> up in
> the Device Manager, this pinpoints a hardware issue. The Code 1 error
> is a
> Windows error." Not really sure what all this means, but I haven't
> been able to find a solution.
>
> I've been reading other posts and am wondering if it has anything to
> do with XP and SP2?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Go to your local equivalent of Target, BestBuy, or an office supply
store and get a usb card reader. Make sure the reader can handle the
memory card in your camera. Then plug the reader into your computer and
don't bother about using the camera directly. Put your camera's card
into the reader and Windows will see it as a removable drive. You'll be
able to work with your photos - copy to the hard drive, delete from the
memory card, etc. - with Explorer just like with any other drive.

I just bought a Lexar 4-in-1 reader at Target for under $30.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Hi, dyu.

I got my Nikon Coolpix 3200 a year ago and installed the software for it,
naturally. But then I also installed Adobe Photoshop Album (now using PS
Elements 3.0) and bought a SD card reader. I've not run the Nikon software
in months! Now I'm also running WinXP x64, which lacks drivers for many
devices, but I have no trouble transferring my pics to my computer and
editing or otherwise using them. I've assigned the card reader a "drive"
letter in Disk Management and, when the card is inserted, it looks like just
another disk drive to WinXP.

The ground rules are that Microsoft writes Windows; hardware makers write
the drivers that make their hardware work with Windows. In your case, the
ball is in Canon's court.

But, I agree with Malke. Unless you can get updated Canon software and it
is really something special, I'd recommend that you get PS Elements (or
equivalent) and a card reader and forget the proprietary interface.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"dyu" <dyu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a canon powershot a510 and tried uploading pictures to my
> computer using the supplied cable and software, but my computer does not
> detect it. It doesn't even show up in the device manager when hook up the
> camera through the back USB port.
>
> i've tried using the "found new hardware wizard" but the message: an
> error
> occurred during the installation of the device, the required section was
> not
> found in the INF.
>
> i've also tried "add new hardware" through the control panel and am able
> select the "canon digital camera," but the message: this device is not
> configured correctly (code 1).
>
> I've contacted canon, but they "if the PowerShot A510 is not showing up in
> the Device Manager, this pinpoints a hardware issue. The Code 1 error is
> Windows error." Not really sure what all this means, but I haven't been
> able
> to find a solution.
>
> I've been reading other posts and am wondering if it has anything to do
> with
> XP and SP2?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
June 28, 2005 6:55:14 PM

try install the camera's software .

"dyu" <dyu@discussions.microsoft.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:96C31C26-5C12-4190-8012-E369BDF3FC43@microsoft.com...
>I just bought a canon powershot a510 and tried uploading pictures to my
> computer using the supplied cable and software, but my computer does not
> detect it. It doesn't even show up in the device manager when hook up the
> camera through the back USB port.
>
> i've tried using the "found new hardware wizard" but the message: an
> error
> occurred during the installation of the device, the required section was
> not
> found in the INF.
>
> i've also tried "add new hardware" through the control panel and am able
> select the "canon digital camera," but the message: this device is not
> configured correctly (code 1).
>
> I've contacted canon, but they "if the PowerShot A510 is not showing up in
> the Device Manager, this pinpoints a hardware issue. The Code 1 error is
> Windows error." Not really sure what all this means, but I haven't been
> able
> to find a solution.
>
> I've been reading other posts and am wondering if it has anything to do
> with
> XP and SP2?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:32:05 PM

yah, i've already tried installing the software, uninstalling and installing,
but didn't work. i think i'll just have to get card reader like the others
suggested. thanks anyway!

"zeloterr" wrote:

> try install the camera's software .
>

> "dyu" <dyu@discussions.microsoft.com> �´Èë�û�¢�ÂÎÅ:96C31C26-5C12-4190-8012-E369BDF3FC43@microsoft.com...
> >I just bought a canon powershot a510 and tried uploading pictures to my
> > computer using the supplied cable and software, but my computer does not
> > detect it. It doesn't even show up in the device manager when hook up the
> > camera through the back USB port.
> >
> > i've tried using the "found new hardware wizard" but the message: an
> > error
> > occurred during the installation of the device, the required section was
> > not
> > found in the INF.
> >
> > i've also tried "add new hardware" through the control panel and am able
> > select the "canon digital camera," but the message: this device is not
> > configured correctly (code 1).
> >
> > I've contacted canon, but they "if the PowerShot A510 is not showing up in
> > the Device Manager, this pinpoints a hardware issue. The Code 1 error is
> > Windows error." Not really sure what all this means, but I haven't been
> > able
> > to find a solution.
> >
> > I've been reading other posts and am wondering if it has anything to do
> > with
> > XP and SP2?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:35:02 PM

thanks for the suggestion. i think i'll just have to shell out a couple
extra bucks for the memory card reader. i thought i might not have to if i
could just figure this out, but doesn't seem like it's going to work any time
soon. any suggestions on which card reader to buy? my cards are both
secure digital. thanks again!

"Malke" wrote:

> dyu wrote:
>
> > I just bought a canon powershot a510 and tried uploading pictures to
> > my computer using the supplied cable and software, but my computer
> > does not
> > detect it. It doesn't even show up in the device manager when hook up
> > the camera through the back USB port.
> >
> > i've tried using the "found new hardware wizard" but the message: an
> > error occurred during the installation of the device, the required
> > section was not found in the INF.
> >
> > i've also tried "add new hardware" through the control panel and am
> > able to
> > select the "canon digital camera," but the message: this device is
> > not configured correctly (code 1).
> >
> > I've contacted canon, but they "if the PowerShot A510 is not showing
> > up in
> > the Device Manager, this pinpoints a hardware issue. The Code 1 error
> > is a
> > Windows error." Not really sure what all this means, but I haven't
> > been able to find a solution.
> >
> > I've been reading other posts and am wondering if it has anything to
> > do with XP and SP2?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> Go to your local equivalent of Target, BestBuy, or an office supply
> store and get a usb card reader. Make sure the reader can handle the
> memory card in your camera. Then plug the reader into your computer and
> don't bother about using the camera directly. Put your camera's card
> into the reader and Windows will see it as a removable drive. You'll be
> able to work with your photos - copy to the hard drive, delete from the
> memory card, etc. - with Explorer just like with any other drive.
>
> I just bought a Lexar 4-in-1 reader at Target for under $30.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:39:01 PM

Hi RC,

as Malke and you suggested, i think i will just get a memory card reader.
you would think that after spending a small chunk of change, the digital
camera would be compatible with your computer? go figure! anyway, any good
card readers out there that you would recommend? i have secure digital
cards. thanks again for the help!

dyu

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, dyu.
>
> I got my Nikon Coolpix 3200 a year ago and installed the software for it,
> naturally. But then I also installed Adobe Photoshop Album (now using PS
> Elements 3.0) and bought a SD card reader. I've not run the Nikon software
> in months! Now I'm also running WinXP x64, which lacks drivers for many
> devices, but I have no trouble transferring my pics to my computer and
> editing or otherwise using them. I've assigned the card reader a "drive"
> letter in Disk Management and, when the card is inserted, it looks like just
> another disk drive to WinXP.
>
> The ground rules are that Microsoft writes Windows; hardware makers write
> the drivers that make their hardware work with Windows. In your case, the
> ball is in Canon's court.
>
> But, I agree with Malke. Unless you can get updated Canon software and it
> is really something special, I'd recommend that you get PS Elements (or
> equivalent) and a card reader and forget the proprietary interface.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "dyu" <dyu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just bought a canon powershot a510 and tried uploading pictures to my
> > computer using the supplied cable and software, but my computer does not
> > detect it. It doesn't even show up in the device manager when hook up the
> > camera through the back USB port.
> >
> > i've tried using the "found new hardware wizard" but the message: an
> > error
> > occurred during the installation of the device, the required section was
> > not
> > found in the INF.
> >
> > i've also tried "add new hardware" through the control panel and am able
> > select the "canon digital camera," but the message: this device is not
> > configured correctly (code 1).
> >
> > I've contacted canon, but they "if the PowerShot A510 is not showing up in
> > the Device Manager, this pinpoints a hardware issue. The Code 1 error is
> > Windows error." Not really sure what all this means, but I haven't been
> > able
> > to find a solution.
> >
> > I've been reading other posts and am wondering if it has anything to do
> > with
> > XP and SP2?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

June 29, 2005 1:16:34 AM

dyu wrote:

> Hi RC,
>
> as Malke and you suggested, i think i will just get a memory card
> reader. you would think that after spending a small chunk of change,
> the digital
> camera would be compatible with your computer? go figure! anyway,
> any good
> card readers out there that you would recommend? i have secure
> digital
> cards. thanks again for the help!

Any major brand reader will be fine. I have a Lexar and I think the
other one is Protec or something like that. Sandisk makes readers, too.
I wouldn't buy an off-brand to save a few dollars; good readers like
the Lexar are cheap enough.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:07:01 AM

Thanks again for all the help and tech support!

!