Transferring XP to a new hard drive

Hi

I have a new SATA hard drive and wish to make it my primary drive (so that I
can dispose of the tiny IDE drive I originally had) but my PC did not come
with installation discs for XP.

I've tried searching the net to find out how to move the operating system
from one drive to another but without any luck (all I can find are articles
which tell you to boot from the installation disc - which I don't have!!!) -
can anyone help? Is there any way I can create my OWN boot disc?

Thanks for any help you can offer
6 answers Last reply
More about transferring hard drive

    Hi, Alan.

    Upgrading the hard drive is one of the most natural upgrades we can make to
    our computers. And MS provides no good way to handle it! You may be in for
    a bumpy ride. :>(

    You have two basic problems. The first is that your WinXP license is OEM.
    That is, it was licensed to the Original Equipment Manufacturer for
    installation on just one computer and it cannot be installed on any other
    computer. How much hardware is allowed to be changed before your machine is
    no longer "the same computer" is open to debate. You'll have to ask your
    computer's manufacturer - the same people who did not furnish you a full
    WinXP CD-ROM when you bought their machine. Most likely, you are going to
    have to buy a full retail copy of WinXP to install on your newly-upgraded
    computer.

    The second problem is that when Setup installs WinXP, one of the first
    things it does is detect your hardware environment, then it customizes your
    copy of WinXP to fit that configuration. When there is a significant
    change - and a new HD and SATA controller certainly count as significant -
    then Setup must be run again to detect the new environment and re-configure
    your copy of WinXP to fit that. Even if you could successfully "move" your
    old OS to your new drive, it would still know how to boot from IDE, but not
    from SATA.

    In your case, you will have to start over. Physically install your new SATA
    controller and drive. Make sure you have at hand the floppy diskette that
    came with your new hardware; it contains drivers you will need. Then boot
    from your shiny new WinXP CD-ROM and let Setup partition and format it.
    Very early in the Setup process, there will be a message on the bottom of
    your screen to Press F6 if you need to install SCSI or other mass storage
    drivers. Press F6 and wait while Setup seems not to notice and continues to
    copy files to the HD. When it finally stops, there will be instructions
    onscreen for installing drivers from the floppy. After this, Setup should
    reboot your computer - from the new SATA HD this time - and run to
    completion.

    Installing SATA or other drives as secondary devices is no more complicated
    than installing a computer or other peripheral, but to install it as the
    boot device requires this F6/floppy shuffle. Newer computers have SATA
    support on the motherboard, but since yours came with "the tiny IDE drive",
    you will no doubt have to add the SATA controller (probably on a PCI card)
    and its drivers.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Alan G McWhan" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have a new SATA hard drive and wish to make it my primary drive (so that I
    > can dispose of the tiny IDE drive I originally had) but my PC did not come
    > with installation discs for XP.
    >
    > I've tried searching the net to find out how to move the operating system
    > from one drive to another but without any luck (all I can find are articles
    > which tell you to boot from the installation disc - which I don't have!!!) -
    > can anyone help? Is there any way I can create my OWN boot disc?
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can offer

    You can setup your IDE Hard Drive again with the Sata also on the system and
    then try to make a mirror of your drive with some 3rd party software like
    Norton Ghost or Acronis Image.

    You can also promote your both hard drives to dynamic and make a software
    mirroring raid 1.The data will be the same on both hard drives.Then you
    dettach your Ide Hard Drive and remains only the sata with your data.
    I hope it was helpfull

    "Alan G McWhan" <ThisStr@ngeEngine.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a new SATA hard drive and wish to make it my primary drive (so that
    > I can dispose of the tiny IDE drive I originally had) but my PC did not
    > come with installation discs for XP.
    >
    > I've tried searching the net to find out how to move the operating system
    > from one drive to another but without any luck (all I can find are
    > articles which tell you to boot from the installation disc - which I don't
    > have!!!) - can anyone help? Is there any way I can create my OWN boot
    > disc?
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can offer

    You're going to need some sort of drive copy software. There might be
    something available from the maker of your hard drive, but you're probably
    going to run into some other issues because now you're booting from SATA and
    before it was IDE. Good luck with sorting that out.

    As for creating a boot disk, you can get all sorts of them from
    www.bootdisk.com, although a boot disk may not do what you expect it to.
    You're pretty much going to be looking at a prompt. It's not going to
    install anything for you. Or move anything. The instructions you're reading
    may be poorly written, or they may be referring to an installation CD for
    windows, instead of a boot disk.

    As far as not having the installation disk, all OEMs are required to give
    you some way to recover your system. You might want to check with them and
    see what they've given you. You might have a hidden partition on that "tiny"
    IDE drive, so you may not want to dispose of it, should you ever need to do
    a full recovery. Chances are that even if you copy it to your new drive, it
    won't work, because a partition like that is going to be looking for a
    specific location to restore to, and that's not going to be SATA.

    If you're planning on doing a lot of upgrades/repairs on this computer, you
    may want to consider buying a real install CD for Windows, as you're going
    to need it one of these days. Probably at 2am on a Sunday on a holiday
    weekend when no stores are open.

    "Alan G McWhan" <ThisStr@ngeEngine.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a new SATA hard drive and wish to make it my primary drive (so that
    > I can dispose of the tiny IDE drive I originally had) but my PC did not
    > come with installation discs for XP.
    >
    > I've tried searching the net to find out how to move the operating system
    > from one drive to another but without any luck (all I can find are
    > articles which tell you to boot from the installation disc - which I don't
    > have!!!) - can anyone help? Is there any way I can create my OWN boot
    > disc?
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can offer

    Most OEM manufacturers that set up Windows this way have a hidden partition
    that has the files to restore to the factory condition. You will need a
    program that can copy the hidden partiton as well as the Windows partition.
    I have successfully used Acronis TrueImage to do this many times. You will
    also need to install the recovery console before you start. Most OEMs that
    have a recovery partition also have a folder with all the Windows files in
    it. It may be somewhere on your C: drive or on the recovery partition. The
    folder is called "\i386" Once you have located this folder you need to open
    a cmd prompt and navigate to this folder. Once there type "win32.exe
    /cmdcons" This will install the recovery console in case you need it later.
    You then want to clone (with TrueImage or a similar program) the old hard
    drive and manually adjust the partitions on the new drive so that the
    recovery partition is the same size as the old drive and the Windows
    partition uses the rest of the drive. Once the drive is cloned remove the
    old drive. Go into the BIOS settings and set it to boot from the new drive.
    Make sure that anything to do with RAID is disabled. If all goes well you
    will now be booting to Windows from your new drive. There is a possibility
    that you may have to edit the boot.ini file and/or load special drivers for
    the SATA controller. If Windows doesn't boot post back here for more help.
    You will need to go into the recovery console to fix it.

    Kerry

    "pantekno" <pantekno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "Alan G McWhan" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have a new SATA hard drive and wish to make it my primary drive (so
    >> that I
    >> can dispose of the tiny IDE drive I originally had) but my PC did not
    >> come
    >> with installation discs for XP.
    >>
    >> I've tried searching the net to find out how to move the operating system
    >> from one drive to another but without any luck (all I can find are
    >> articles
    >> which tell you to boot from the installation disc - which I don't
    >> have!!!) -
    >> can anyone help? Is there any way I can create my OWN boot disc?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help you can offer
    >>

    > You can setup your IDE Hard Drive again with the Sata also on the system
    > and
    > then try to make a mirror of your drive with some 3rd party software like
    > Norton Ghost or Acronis Image.
    >
    > You can also promote your both hard drives to dynamic and make a software
    > mirroring raid 1.The data will be the same on both hard drives.Then you
    > dettach your Ide Hard Drive and remains only the sata with your data.
    > I hope it was helpfull

    Windows XP cannot create a software mirror except on a remote computer
    running Windows Server.

    Kerry

    Hi There. There is one program that I use to backup my hard drive on a weekly
    basis. I capture GIS information and cannot afford to lose anything. The
    program I use is called Casper XP. Unfortunately it's not a freeware program.
    You can clone your drive while you're working in XP. Just remember to make
    your new drive bootable. (Casper XP can do that for you too). You do not have
    to change your boot ini file, but just select your new drive as your first
    bootup drive in your bios settings. After a successful copy, please erase all
    files from your old drive to keep your licence valid.

    "Alan G McWhan" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have a new SATA hard drive and wish to make it my primary drive (so that I
    > can dispose of the tiny IDE drive I originally had) but my PC did not come
    > with installation discs for XP.
    >
    > I've tried searching the net to find out how to move the operating system
    > from one drive to another but without any luck (all I can find are articles
    > which tell you to boot from the installation disc - which I don't have!!!) -
    > can anyone help? Is there any way I can create my OWN boot disc?
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can offer

Windows XP Hard Drives