tyan 2466 with a raid card and a 1000Mb network card

Dear all,

We recently tried to set up a SATA raid server. Our system detail is:

tyan s2466N Motherboard ;
Highpoint 1820A raid card and raid 5 system ( 6* maxtor 200G sata hard
disk );
intel 1000M network card (have also tested a 3com 1000M network card) ;
1 GB memory , video card...
Redhat 9.0 OS

So, the raid card and network card are both using a 64bit PCI slot. and
the motherboard just have two 64bit PCI slots.

But when I plug the both cards into the two slots, the system is not
stable. It hangs when I copy some big files on the raid or copy files
through the network card. It hangs even when I use one 64bit slot and
one 32bit slot.

If I only use the raid card (without the 1000M network card, only use
the 10/100Mb network card on the motherboard), it works well.

If I only use the 1000M network card(without the raid card, only use
the
small system disk), it works well also.

So, I am not sure that if the motherboard 2466 can use the both two
64bit PCI slots at one time? Is there any method to use the both cards
in the 2466 motherboard?

Thank you for your reading.

Best wishes

Jian

zhoujian@gmail.com wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> We recently tried to set up a SATA raid server. Our system detail is:
>
> tyan s2466N Motherboard ;
> Highpoint 1820A raid card and raid 5 system ( 6* maxtor 200G sata hard
> disk );
> intel 1000M network card (have also tested a 3com 1000M network card) ;
> 1 GB memory , video card...
> Redhat 9.0 OS
>
> So, the raid card and network card are both using a 64bit PCI slot. and
> the motherboard just have two 64bit PCI slots.
>
> But when I plug the both cards into the two slots, the system is not
> stable. It hangs when I copy some big files on the raid or copy files
> through the network card. It hangs even when I use one 64bit slot and
> one 32bit slot.
>
> If I only use the raid card (without the 1000M network card, only use
> the 10/100Mb network card on the motherboard), it works well.
>
> If I only use the 1000M network card(without the raid card, only use
> the
> small system disk), it works well also.
>
> So, I am not sure that if the motherboard 2466 can use the both two
> 64bit PCI slots at one time? Is there any method to use the both cards
> in the 2466 motherboard?
>
> Thank you for your reading.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Jian

You might try looking at latency timings, and bus mastering (should
most probably be turned on) - check the related PCI settings in the
bios. If niether of those help, you might do some manual chipset
configuration editing using something like the WPCREDIT program to
manually set chipset configuration register bits - will probably need
to get hold of bios, and/or chipset documentation from Tyan's ftp
site.

These things come to mind, because recently, playing around, and
reading documentation, I've seen that, for instance, PCI to AGP
communications can require custom chipset configuration, and so, I
thought maybe you're running into something like that. Obviously
though, your problem could be more basic.

Using both 64bit slots shouldn't be a problem, in general, so that's
not likely it. Sounds like, as noted above, producer/consumer timing
problems. Bus mastering should most certainly be turned on for both
cards, and short of chipset tweaking, perhaps the network card
configuration software has some timing related settings you can try.

Again, your situation could be more basic, and this response is
somewhat biased as a function of recent readings.

Bryan