Unknown USB Device

June 29, 2005 2:05:53 AM

I have a Gateway 710X running Windows XP Home Edition which has been
patched up-to-date. Connected to this is a Western Digital 80Gb
external hard drive (Model Nr WD800B005-RNN).

The drive had been connected to the USB port for a long time without
any problems in access. Tonight, however, it seemed to have been
discovered as disconnected, and we reconnected the USB cable.

Upon reconnection, we get pop-up windows in the lower right corner
which state:

(1) Found New Hardware: USB Device

then switches to

(2) Found New Hardware: Unknown Device

then appears

(3) Found New Hardware: Your new hardware is installed and ready to
use

then appears

(4) USB Device Not Recognized: One of the USB devices attached to this
computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For
assistance in solving this problem, click this message.

Sure enough, when I check "My Computer", the "K" Drive (which is what
the drive was normally associated with) does not appear.

I check the "Device Manager" under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"
and note an "Unknown Device" listed.

I have attempted the following actions thus far:

(1) Uninstall (Result: Successful)
(2) Scan for Hardware Changes (Result: Above 4 Pop-up Windows)
(3) Update Driver (Result: Cannot Continue the Hardare Update Wizard -
The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the
software you currently have installed)

(4) Visit Microsoft site to check for XP compatibility with WD drive
model (Result: Compatible)
(5) Visit Western Digital site to check for specific driver for this
drive (Result: Downloaded - even though the comment stated that it was
not necessary if running Windows XP)

(6) Updated Registry (regedt32)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Enum
USB
I then compared the "Unknown Device Properties" from with "Device
Manager" and derived "USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5" which enabled me to
locate "Vid_0000&Pid_0000" within the USB directory of the Registry.
I then looked within the directories (below) and found that this, in
fact, equated to "Unknown Device". I then right-clicked on
"Vid_0000&Pid_0000" and changed permissions to allow "Full Control"
then deleted that directory in its entirety. I rebooted the computer,
then allowed a recognition of the hard drive. Again, the four (4)
pop-up windows appeared as above. I refreshed the Registry, and saw
that "Vid_0000&Pid_0000" reappeared (as expected).

The following specifics appear within that hierarchy:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Enum
USB

Vid_0000&Pid_0000
5
Control
Device Parameters
LogConf

And within each of these are:

Vid_0000&Pid_0000
=====
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

5
=====
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
Capabilities REG_DWORD 0x00000014(20)
Class REG_SZ USB
ClassGUID REG_SZ {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
CompatibleIDs REG_MULTI_SZ USB\UNKNOWN
ConfigFlags REG_DWORD 0x00000000(0)
DeviceDesc REG_SZ Unknown Device
Driver REG_SZ {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}\0029
HardwareID REG_MULTI_SZ USB\UNKNOWN
LocationInformation REG_SZ USB Device
Mfg REG_SZ (Standard USB Host Controller)
UINumber REG_DWORD 0x00000000(0)

Control
=====
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

Device Parameters
=====
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
ExtPropDescSemaphore REG_DWORD 0x00000001(1)

LogConf
=====
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

Is there anything that the above data/info can point to with regards to
what is happening and/or how to resolve? My main concern is being able
to access the data on this external hard drive and that it is not lost
forever.

I will take the hard drive and plug it into a different computer
tomorrow with my fingers crossed for better results. If I am able to
access the data, then that will calm down my heart rate greatly, and
I'll have no issue with rebuilding the Gateway from scratch
(reinstalling Windows XP). But I was just hoping that someone could
save me some time and maybe point me in the right direction before I
need to do that.

Many thanks.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to Google Groups at work. They set
Google Groups off-limits (via SmartFilter) which I think is totally
STUPID, but, don't get me started on THAT topic. Anyway, if you wish
to respond to me via e-mail, that would be great.

Richard.Sgrignoli@highmark.com

And, I'll be sure to submit a follow-up to this thread on any items
that are received and seem to fix the problem.

Thanks again.

Richard

More about : unknown usb device

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:25:08 AM

Hmmm, appears my e-mail address got cut off (or substituted with
periods).....it should state: Richard.Sgrignoli@highmark.com
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:22:41 PM

"RESgrignoli" <Richard.Sgrignoli@highmark.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> tomorrow with my fingers crossed for better results. If I am able to
> access the data, then that will calm down my heart rate greatly, and
> I'll have no issue with rebuilding the Gateway from scratch
> (reinstalling Windows XP). But I was just hoping that someone could
> save me some time and maybe point me in the right direction before I
> need to do that.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Unfortunately, I do not have access to Google Groups at work. They set
> Google Groups off-limits (via SmartFilter) which I think is totally
> STUPID, but, don't get me started on THAT topic. Anyway, if you wish
> to respond to me via e-mail, that would be great.
>
> Richard.Sgrignoli@highmark.com
>
> And, I'll be sure to submit a follow-up to this thread on any items
> that are received and seem to fix the problem.

I just finished fixing a computer that got an indirect lightning hit. The
woman had a printer and a USB cable modem hooked up to it. The USB
controller was recognized by the OS but both the printer and modem were
coming up as unkown devices. After fooling with Device Manager, uninstalling
and installing USB controllers, Registry settings, I decided to put in a
pci USB adapter. Bingo!, printer works, cable modem works. Hooking up the
drive to another computer will give you an idea if the drive itself is good
or something happened to the USB controller.
June 29, 2005 2:26:07 PM

This seems to indicate that your USB ports may not be able to provide enough
"power" over the USB port.

Is the external drive "self-powered" or "USB powered"?
What other USB devices do you have connected (at the same time) and do they
work?
Are you connecting the drive to a HUB or a direct USB port on the PC?
If you are using a HUB, is the HUB working?

> [...]
> tomorrow with my fingers crossed for better results. If I am able to
> access the data, then that will calm down my heart rate greatly, and
> I'll have no issue with rebuilding the Gateway from scratch
> (reinstalling Windows XP). But I was just hoping that someone could
> save me some time and maybe point me in the right direction before I
> need to do that.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Unfortunately, I do not have access to Google Groups at work. They set
> Google Groups off-limits (via SmartFilter) which I think is totally
> STUPID, but, don't get me started on THAT topic. Anyway, if you wish
> to respond to me via e-mail, that would be great.
>
> Richard.Sgrignoli@highmark.com
>
> And, I'll be sure to submit a follow-up to this thread on any items
> that are received and seem to fix the problem.

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:17:08 PM

I just looked at this again (my e-mail address) and it happened AGAIN.
It knocked off the last three letters of my last name (oli) and
substituted with periods. Oh well, that's okay.....we managed to get
Google Groups restored at work, so I am once again able to access it.
No need for the individual e-mails. Thanks.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 6:09:47 PM

Well, I tried connecting the external drive to my laptop, and it also
comes up with "USB Device Not Recognized: One of the USB devices
attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not
recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this
message." So, it appears to be the drive itself. I guess my question
now is: Does this indicate a problem with the drive itself or just
being able to access it? In other words, if I take it to a repair
facility, do you think it would be possible to save the data from the
drive, or could this likely be a "sayoonara" to a bunch of data?
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:58:00 PM

> Well, I tried connecting the external drive to my laptop, and it also
> comes up with "USB Device Not Recognized: One of the USB devices
> attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not
> recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this
> message." So, it appears to be the drive itself. I guess my question
> now is: Does this indicate a problem with the drive itself or just
> being able to access it? In other words, if I take it to a repair
> facility, do you think it would be possible to save the data from the
> drive, or could this likely be a "sayoonara" to a bunch of data?

Most likely the data on the drive is OK. Try http://support.wdc.com/ and see
if WD support can help you with other suggestions or how to recover the
data.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 5:36:05 AM

"" wrote:
> "RESgrignoli" <Richard.Sgrignoli@highmark.com> wrote in
> message
> > Well, I tried connecting the external drive to my laptop,
> and it also
> > comes up with "USB Device Not Recognized: One of the USB
> devices
> > attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows
> does not
> > recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click
> this
> > message." So, it appears to be the drive itself. I guess
> my question
> > now is: Does this indicate a problem with the drive itself
> or just
> > being able to access it? In other words, if I take it to a
> repair
> > facility, do you think it would be possible to save the data
> from the
> > drive, or could this likely be a "sayoonara" to a bunch of
> data?
> >
> Most likely the data on the drive is OK. Try
> http://support.wdc.com/ and see
> if WD support can help you with other suggestions or how to
> recover the
> data.

I had the same problem with a 1GB PNY Flash drive, all the sudden one
day it would come up as unrecognized device, and when i finally
managed to access it, i decided to format it but i could only copy
approx 500mb to it before it would say it was full...to make a long
story short my flash drive was defective.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Unknown-USB-Devic...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1748108
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:32:28 AM

"Javelin3o4" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "" wrote:
> > "RESgrignoli" <Richard.Sgrignoli@highmark.com> wrote in
> > message
> > > Well, I tried connecting the external drive to my laptop,
> > and it also
> > > comes up with "USB Device Not Recognized: One of the USB
> > devices
> > > attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows
> > does not
> > > recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click
> > this
> > > message." So, it appears to be the drive itself. I guess
> > my question
> > > now is: Does this indicate a problem with the drive itself
> > or just
> > > being able to access it? In other words, if I take it to a
> > repair
> > > facility, do you think it would be possible to save the data
> > from the
> > > drive, or could this likely be a "sayoonara" to a bunch of
> > data?
> > >
> > Most likely the data on the drive is OK. Try
> > http://support.wdc.com/ and see
> > if WD support can help you with other suggestions or how to
> > recover the
> > data.
>
> I had the same problem with a 1GB PNY Flash drive, all the sudden one
> day it would come up as unrecognized device, and when i finally
> managed to access it, i decided to format it but i could only copy
> approx 500mb to it before it would say it was full...to make a long
> story short my flash drive was defective.

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Unknown-USB-Devic...

Flash drive is basically non-volatile memory , a hard drive has magnetic
platters. If all that failed in the hard drive are the electronics, data can
be recovered from the platters by changing the controller.
!