kaabob

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004

Recently I switched cases and moved all my computer components from one
case to anoter - all settings and configuration are the same.

However, when XP loads, the video is messed up on the desktop and under
Device Manager, XP notes that the video driver is not installed, and my
second PCI card (wireless) is not functioning.

Frustrated, I pull out both PCI cards: (a) Firewire and USB combo card
and (b) Wireless 54g card. (Both of which were running fine before the
case switch)

After booting up with both PCI cards absent, the display drivers are
back, and everything works fine.

Although the computer is mroe stable, I'm missing the added
functionality of the two PCI cards... so....

First, I only stick in the Firewire/USB card (a)... video is messed up
again like before

Next, I swap the Firewire/USB card for the wireless card (b)...
everything is fine except the wireless card is not detected (it is not
detected in POST either)

Still trying to find out the problem, I stick both cards into another
computer running XP, and both cards are detected and drivers were
installed flawlessly - which draws to the conclusion that the PCI cards
themselves are fine

HElp! what should I do with my computer? I just did a fresh Instalation
of XP with the two PCI cards in, and still nothing has been detected! (I
even swapped the cards !)

--
kaabob

It seems that your PnP setting on the motherboard may be "screwed" up.

Have you:

1) Replaced the PCI card back into their original PCI slots?

2) Tried to change PCI slots?

3) In Safe Mode, moved the hardware from Device Manager and Reboot so as
to see if XP corrects the problem?

4) In the BIOS, reset the PnP detections (Clear/reset ESCD or PnP
settings??)

5) Tried the "ultimate" reset: Clear and reset yout BIOS/CMOS?