Mobile Barton 2500 Unlocked ?

Are all Mobile Barton 2500 chips unlocked. I can get an "AMD Athlon XP
2500+ (Barton) 1.88GHz 266 FSB 45WMobile" chip
for about $95 but I do not want it if it is locked. Anyone know how to
tell ?

Thanks,
jmr

QBall

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003

ALL mobiles are unlocked so that they can use powernow's multi-changing to
save laptop power.
They always will be.

QBall wrote:
>> Are all Mobile Barton 2500 chips unlocked. I can get an "AMD Athlon
>> XP 2500+ (Barton) 1.88GHz 266 FSB 45WMobile" chip
>> for about $95 but I do not want it if it is locked. Anyone know
>> how to tell ?
>
> ALL mobiles are unlocked so that they can use powernow's
> multi-changing to save laptop power.
> They always will be.

This is a common misconception. The
normal/BIOS/L3/whatever-you-want-to-call-it multipler can be locked without
affecting PowerNow. In fact, I've commented in various places that I'm
surprised that it's NOT locked, as the chips come off the same assembly
line. The ability to change the multipliers through PowerNow is, of course,
required for all mobile chips. So you will always be able to change the
multiplier through this on mobile chips, though as soon as (or if) AMD locks
the L5/L6 bridges as well, then you'll only be able to change it to below
the default multiplier. This is the case, in the AMD64 mobiles, where there
are no bridges.

PS to the OP: the 45W mobiles are the good ones to get for overclocking, as
opposed to the (cheaper) 70W DTR chips.

--
Michael Brown

TRENDING THREADS