Missing capacity on Hard disk

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
June 29, 2005 5:32:29 PM

Using Win XP SP2 with drives formatted in NTFS.
Disk 1 is divided into two partitions each approx 19GB, using the size
manager in Powerdesk 6 shows 4.65Gb free, 10.5Gb used with a drive capacity
of 18.8 Gb. This leaves around 3.7Gb unaccounted for.
Running Norton Disk doctor shows errors under the 'Security descriptors
status' but running CHKDSK on startup fails to report or repair any
problems.
Can anyone help or suggest any programs that can check and repair NTFS
drives.

Thanks
Paul

More about : missing capacity hard disk

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 6:31:14 PM

Paul wrote:
> Using Win XP SP2 with drives formatted in NTFS.
> Disk 1 is divided into two partitions each approx 19GB, using the size
> manager in Powerdesk 6 shows 4.65Gb free, 10.5Gb used with a drive
> capacity of 18.8 Gb. This leaves around 3.7Gb unaccounted for.
> Running Norton Disk doctor shows errors under the 'Security
> descriptors status' but running CHKDSK on startup fails to report or
> repair any problems.
> Can anyone help or suggest any programs that can check and repair NTFS
> drives.
>
> Thanks
> Paul

And what makes you think it requires reparation? Have you accounted for the
system restore folder? The hiberfil.sys file? I doubt it...
June 29, 2005 6:56:06 PM

> And what makes you think it requires reparation? Have you accounted for
> the system restore folder? The hiberfil.sys file? I doubt it...

The hiberfil.sys file is about 0.5Gb (out of interest what is this file?)
and is accounted for in the calculations as is the pagefile.sys (0.7Gb)- not
sure about the system restore folder I can't find anything with that name.

Paul
June 29, 2005 6:56:07 PM

you should see how much space is assigned to system restore and hibernation.
You can see that on
your system and screen properties. When running chkdsk it tells you which
file and address report is sent to.

It's probably your disk has assigned some space to processes that you are
not using, like above said.

kovik

"Paul" <paul@hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje

> And what makes you think it requires reparation? Have you accounted for
> the system restore folder? The hiberfil.sys file? I doubt it...

The hiberfil.sys file is about 0.5Gb (out of interest what is this file?)
and is accounted for in the calculations as is the pagefile.sys (0.7Gb)- not
sure about the system restore folder I can't find anything with that name.

Paul
June 29, 2005 7:47:15 PM

"Paul" <paul@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
>> And what makes you think it requires reparation? Have you accounted for
>> the system restore folder? The hiberfil.sys file? I doubt it...
>
> The hiberfil.sys file is about 0.5Gb (out of interest what is this file?)
> and is accounted for in the calculations as is the pagefile.sys (0.7Gb)-
> not sure about the system restore folder I can't find anything with that
> name.
>
> Paul

hiberfil.sys is the hibernation file. it writes to it when you hibernate
your pc. if you dont use it, turn it off, and gain the disk space back.
sys restore is hidden away frmo prying eyes. its in system volume
niformation off the root. you'll need to unhide operating system files, and
give yourself permission to access it. But to be safe, i recommend that you
don't....
June 30, 2005 1:01:55 AM

OK
Thanks for all the replies, I will check the restore files

Paul

"kovik" <top_decor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> you should see how much space is assigned to system restore and
> hibernation.
> You can see that on
> your system and screen properties. When running chkdsk it tells you which
> file and address report is sent to.
>
> It's probably your disk has assigned some space to processes that you are
> not using, like above said.
>
> kovik
>

> "Paul" <paul@hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
>
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
>> And what makes you think it requires reparation? Have you accounted for
>> the system restore folder? The hiberfil.sys file? I doubt it...
>
> The hiberfil.sys file is about 0.5Gb (out of interest what is this file?)
> and is accounted for in the calculations as is the pagefile.sys (0.7Gb)-
> not
> sure about the system restore folder I can't find anything with that name.
>
> Paul

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:24:06 AM

What makes YOU think this reply was helpful?
It wasn't
> Paul wrote:
>> Using Win XP SP2 with drives formatted in NTFS.
>> Disk 1 is divided into two partitions each approx 19GB, using the size
>> manager in Powerdesk 6 shows 4.65Gb free, 10.5Gb used with a drive
>> capacity of 18.8 Gb. This leaves around 3.7Gb unaccounted for.
>> Running Norton Disk doctor shows errors under the 'Security
>> descriptors status' but running CHKDSK on startup fails to report or
>> repair any problems.
>> Can anyone help or suggest any programs that can check and repair NTFS
>> drives.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Paul
>
> And what makes you think it requires reparation? Have you accounted for
> the system restore folder? The hiberfil.sys file? I doubt it...

July 8, 2005 11:55:15 PM

You're sure you partitioned the full size of the disk?
That Miss Perspicacia Tick is one cranky gal (no offence!)
Damo

!