I have been trying to find a solution to a sound recording problem but
cannot find the right forum to browse. If anyone knows of a source of
info for my issue...discussed next...please post the link. Thanks.

Issue: I occasionally use Total Recorder to capture a broadcast. The
sound is great as it is broadcast, but using the SBAlive5.1 card along
with Total Recorder there is a nasty high frequency whine in the
playback track. There is also excessive noise in quiet areas of the
track. The spectrum analyzer shows a broad noise or sound peak at
about 18KHz that is absent if I play a ripped cd track using this same
application. It may be some sort of anticopy tone but I don't think
so. I think maybe the card is introducing this noise and I think I
must have some element of the record level set wrong, such as an
ACG-like volume gain to bring the quiet levels up to some normalized
level. Whatever the settings are to eliminate this are not part of the
manuals or FAQ for the application.

I cannot find a discussion anywhere in the News Groups here or on the
web nor web sites where such issues are discussed...not even on the
application vendor web sites.

Any suggestions and pointers would be welcome.

Henry

Google is your friend
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&sel=0,16823695&q=recording&prev=recording

HLAMUTHNOSPAM@EARTHLINK.NET wrote:
> I have been trying to find a solution to a sound recording problem but
> cannot find the right forum to browse. If anyone knows of a source of
> info for my issue...discussed next...please post the link. Thanks.
>
> Issue: I occasionally use Total Recorder to capture a broadcast. The
> sound is great as it is broadcast, but using the SBAlive5.1 card along
> with Total Recorder there is a nasty high frequency whine in the
> playback track. There is also excessive noise in quiet areas of the
> track. The spectrum analyzer shows a broad noise or sound peak at
> about 18KHz that is absent if I play a ripped cd track using this same
> application. It may be some sort of anticopy tone but I don't think
> so. I think maybe the card is introducing this noise and I think I
> must have some element of the record level set wrong, such as an
> ACG-like volume gain to bring the quiet levels up to some normalized
> level. Whatever the settings are to eliminate this are not part of the
> manuals or FAQ for the application.
>
> I cannot find a discussion anywhere in the News Groups here or on the
> web nor web sites where such issues are discussed...not even on the
> application vendor web sites.
>
> Any suggestions and pointers would be welcome.
>
> Henry

It looks good at first blush...I googled the hell out of things and
never came up with this. Thanks for the lead.

Henry

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:53:52 -0500, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Google is your friend
>http://groups-beta.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&sel=0,16823695&q=recording&prev=recording
>
>HLAMUTHNOSPAM@EARTHLINK.NET wrote:
>> I have been trying to find a solution to a sound recording problem but
>> cannot find the right forum to browse. If anyone knows of a source of
>> info for my issue...discussed next...please post the link. Thanks.
>>
>> Issue: I occasionally use Total Recorder to capture a broadcast. The
>> sound is great as it is broadcast, but using the SBAlive5.1 card along
>> with Total Recorder there is a nasty high frequency whine in the
>> playback track. There is also excessive noise in quiet areas of the
>> track. The spectrum analyzer shows a broad noise or sound peak at
>> about 18KHz that is absent if I play a ripped cd track using this same
>> application. It may be some sort of anticopy tone but I don't think
>> so. I think maybe the card is introducing this noise and I think I
>> must have some element of the record level set wrong, such as an
>> ACG-like volume gain to bring the quiet levels up to some normalized
>> level. Whatever the settings are to eliminate this are not part of the
>> manuals or FAQ for the application.
>>
>> I cannot find a discussion anywhere in the News Groups here or on the
>> web nor web sites where such issues are discussed...not even on the
>> application vendor web sites.
>>
>> Any suggestions and pointers would be welcome.
>>
>> Henry

You're welcome, hope they help you out.

HLAMUTHNOSPAM@EARTHLINK.NET wrote:

> It looks good at first blush...I googled the hell out of things and
> never came up with this. Thanks for the lead.
>
> Henry
>
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:53:52 -0500, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Google is your friend
>>http://groups-beta.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&sel=0,16823695&q=recording&prev=recording
>>
>>HLAMUTHNOSPAM@EARTHLINK.NET wrote:
>>
>>>I have been trying to find a solution to a sound recording problem but
>>>cannot find the right forum to browse. If anyone knows of a source of
>>>info for my issue...discussed next...please post the link. Thanks.
>>>
>>>Issue: I occasionally use Total Recorder to capture a broadcast. The
>>>sound is great as it is broadcast, but using the SBAlive5.1 card along
>>>with Total Recorder there is a nasty high frequency whine in the
>>>playback track. There is also excessive noise in quiet areas of the
>>>track. The spectrum analyzer shows a broad noise or sound peak at
>>>about 18KHz that is absent if I play a ripped cd track using this same
>>>application. It may be some sort of anticopy tone but I don't think
>>>so. I think maybe the card is introducing this noise and I think I
>>>must have some element of the record level set wrong, such as an
>>>ACG-like volume gain to bring the quiet levels up to some normalized
>>>level. Whatever the settings are to eliminate this are not part of the
>>>manuals or FAQ for the application.
>>>
>>>I cannot find a discussion anywhere in the News Groups here or on the
>>>web nor web sites where such issues are discussed...not even on the
>>>application vendor web sites.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions and pointers would be welcome.
>>>
>>>Henry

Not much use. Only thing was to identify a few non-google usergroups
that might discuss the topic I am interested in. Worth the effort for
that alone. Thanks.

Henry

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:53:52 -0500, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Google is your friend
>http://groups-beta.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&sel=0,16823695&q=recording&prev=recording
>
>HLAMUTHNOSPAM@EARTHLINK.NET wrote:
>> I have been trying to find a solution to a sound recording problem but
>> cannot find the right forum to browse. If anyone knows of a source of
>> info for my issue...discussed next...please post the link. Thanks.
>>
>> Issue: I occasionally use Total Recorder to capture a broadcast. The
>> sound is great as it is broadcast, but using the SBAlive5.1 card along
>> with Total Recorder there is a nasty high frequency whine in the
>> playback track. There is also excessive noise in quiet areas of the
>> track. The spectrum analyzer shows a broad noise or sound peak at
>> about 18KHz that is absent if I play a ripped cd track using this same
>> application. It may be some sort of anticopy tone but I don't think
>> so. I think maybe the card is introducing this noise and I think I
>> must have some element of the record level set wrong, such as an
>> ACG-like volume gain to bring the quiet levels up to some normalized
>> level. Whatever the settings are to eliminate this are not part of the
>> manuals or FAQ for the application.
>>
>> I cannot find a discussion anywhere in the News Groups here or on the
>> web nor web sites where such issues are discussed...not even on the
>> application vendor web sites.
>>
>> Any suggestions and pointers would be welcome.
>>
>> Henry

Yes, they may know.

HLAMUTHNOSPAM@EARTHLINK.NET wrote:

> Not much use. Only thing was to identify a few non-google usergroups
> that might discuss the topic I am interested in. Worth the effort for
> that alone. Thanks.
>
> Henry
>
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:53:52 -0500, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Google is your friend
>>http://groups-beta.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&sel=0,16823695&q=recording&prev=recording
>>
>>HLAMUTHNOSPAM@EARTHLINK.NET wrote:
>>
>>>I have been trying to find a solution to a sound recording problem but
>>>cannot find the right forum to browse. If anyone knows of a source of
>>>info for my issue...discussed next...please post the link. Thanks.
>>>
>>>Issue: I occasionally use Total Recorder to capture a broadcast. The
>>>sound is great as it is broadcast, but using the SBAlive5.1 card along
>>>with Total Recorder there is a nasty high frequency whine in the
>>>playback track. There is also excessive noise in quiet areas of the
>>>track. The spectrum analyzer shows a broad noise or sound peak at
>>>about 18KHz that is absent if I play a ripped cd track using this same
>>>application. It may be some sort of anticopy tone but I don't think
>>>so. I think maybe the card is introducing this noise and I think I
>>>must have some element of the record level set wrong, such as an
>>>ACG-like volume gain to bring the quiet levels up to some normalized
>>>level. Whatever the settings are to eliminate this are not part of the
>>>manuals or FAQ for the application.
>>>
>>>I cannot find a discussion anywhere in the News Groups here or on the
>>>web nor web sites where such issues are discussed...not even on the
>>>application vendor web sites.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions and pointers would be welcome.
>>>
>>>Henry

damo

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

I am a sound and AV/PA guy so naturally my suspicion falls to a faulty cable
being used in your system...check the cable inputting the sound into your
system - if there's a loose connection in the plug then moving the plug
around in the socket could provide a quick fix for you. Does your card use
internal cables. Of course it could be the card.
Damo
Hoping that helped.