erratic signal

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2005 3:43:16 AM

Hi

I am trying to set up a network between my laptop and desktop but have been
having problems.

I think it may be the signal that is the problem, my desktop has a pci
dlink card and shows an excellent signal strength when connected but my
laptop (dlink pcmcia card) shows erratic signal strengths.

If i place my mouse over the icon on the taskbar to show strength i can keep
the laptop in the same place (very close to the card antenna) roll over the
icon and show no signal and roll over again and show excellent, rolling back
over will show no or very low signal (which it seems to be most of the time.

The sent and received for both computers is similar, over a 20 minute period
sent is 1500 to 2000 but received is only 15 (ish).

Would this suggest a problem with one or both cards and what can i do about
it.

thanks

Gary
--
visit our website at www.justjents.co.uk

More about : erratic signal

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2005 6:44:13 PM

#1. Do you have any issues with the network connectivity? i.e., are you
consistently connected to the network even though the icon shows erratic
wireless signals?
#2. If the wireless on desktop has good signal strength and the wireless on
your laptop does not have a good network connection, it could be a problem
with your driver. You might want to update the driver for the pcmcia card.

Usually the signal strength is dependent on many factors and it matters the
most when there is no signal strength and no network connectivity as well.
But there is nothing much to worry if you have good network connectivity but
the signal strength seems erratic.

Anusha

"geepeetee" <gary_teale@bluecarrots.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am trying to set up a network between my laptop and desktop but have
> been having problems.
>
> I think it may be the signal that is the problem, my desktop has a pci
> dlink card and shows an excellent signal strength when connected but my
> laptop (dlink pcmcia card) shows erratic signal strengths.
>
> If i place my mouse over the icon on the taskbar to show strength i can
> keep the laptop in the same place (very close to the card antenna) roll
> over the icon and show no signal and roll over again and show excellent,
> rolling back
> over will show no or very low signal (which it seems to be most of the
> time.
>
> The sent and received for both computers is similar, over a 20 minute
> period
> sent is 1500 to 2000 but received is only 15 (ish).
>
> Would this suggest a problem with one or both cards and what can i do
> about
> it.
>
> thanks
>
> Gary
> --
> visit our website at www.justjents.co.uk

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2005 12:05:07 AM

Thanks for your advice.....

#1 Yes both machines are constantly connected.

#2 Both pcs have a good connection and are sending packets but neither or
hardly receiving. Typical figures for both machines are: sent probably 1800
(over perhaps 15 minutes), received 1 or 2, over same period. Neither
machines loose the connection but i cannot view internet or shared folders

thanks again

Gary

"Anusha Dandapani[MSFT]" <anushad@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o SoQbsTQFHA.204@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> #1. Do you have any issues with the network connectivity? i.e., are you
> consistently connected to the network even though the icon shows erratic
> wireless signals?
> #2. If the wireless on desktop has good signal strength and the wireless
> on your laptop does not have a good network connection, it could be a
> problem with your driver. You might want to update the driver for the
> pcmcia card.
>
> Usually the signal strength is dependent on many factors and it matters
> the most when there is no signal strength and no network connectivity as
> well. But there is nothing much to worry if you have good network
> connectivity but the signal strength seems erratic.
>
> Anusha
>

> "geepeetee" <gary_teale@bluecarrots.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I am trying to set up a network between my laptop and desktop but have
>> been having problems.
>>
>> I think it may be the signal that is the problem, my desktop has a pci
>> dlink card and shows an excellent signal strength when connected but my
>> laptop (dlink pcmcia card) shows erratic signal strengths.
>>
>> If i place my mouse over the icon on the taskbar to show strength i can
>> keep the laptop in the same place (very close to the card antenna) roll
>> over the icon and show no signal and roll over again and show excellent,
>> rolling back
>> over will show no or very low signal (which it seems to be most of the
>> time.
>>
>> The sent and received for both computers is similar, over a 20 minute
>> period
>> sent is 1500 to 2000 but received is only 15 (ish).
>>
>> Would this suggest a problem with one or both cards and what can i do
>> about
>> it.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Gary
>> --
>> visit our website at www.justjents.co.uk

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2005 2:07:00 PM

If you are not receiving packets, you do not have network connectivity.
Since the problem exists on both your machines, it should either be a
problem with the Access point you are using (could possibly be a problem
with the backend internet connection as well if you are unable to reach the
internet). I suggest you consult your AccessPoint(AP) documentation to check
the AP configuration.

news:o tt6M4eQFHA.1096@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

!