Hard disk PIO instead of DMA, why?

June 29, 2005 3:59:51 PM

In device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ->
Primary Controller for Device 0 under advanced settings
the transfer mode is set to: DMA if avaliable, the
Current Mode is: PIO Mode. I have other devices that are
in Ultra DMA Mode 2 on my computer. The hard drive is a
WD8000JB which is on its own ide cable connected
to the primary connector on the motehrboard. I am using
windows XP Professional and the PCChips Motherboard
that can support max of DMA 66 I think.

Also, when i start up my computer and it detects the
devices for the hard drive it says its in Ultra DMA Mode 4
or 5 I don't remember, but in windows it isnt.

Thank You for your time and help.

John

More about : hard disk pio dma

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 6:11:11 PM

IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode after multiple time-out or CRC errors occur
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP