Can't detect DMA in WINXP

In device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ->
Primary Controller for Device 0 under advanced settings
the transfer mode is set to: DMA if avaliable, the
Current Mode is: PIO Mode.The hard drive is a 80G western Digital i
think the WD800JD which is on its own ide cable connected
to the primary connector on the motherboard. I am using
windows XP Professional and the PCCHIPS MB.

Also, when i start up my computer and it detects the
devices for the hard drive it says its in Ultra DMA Mode
4 or 5, but in windows it isnt.

Thank You for your time and help.

John
9 answers Last reply
More about detect winxp

    IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode after multiple time-out or CRC errors occur
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "John" again wrote:

    | In device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ->
    | Primary Controller for Device 0 under advanced settings
    | the transfer mode is set to: DMA if avaliable, the
    | Current Mode is: PIO Mode.The hard drive is a 80G western Digital i
    | think the WD800JD which is on its own ide cable connected
    | to the primary connector on the motherboard. I am using
    | windows XP Professional and the PCCHIPS MB.
    |
    | Also, when i start up my computer and it detects the
    | devices for the hard drive it says its in Ultra DMA Mode
    | 4 or 5, but in windows it isnt.
    |

    | Thank You for your time and help.
    |
    | John

    Hey thanks a lot guys for all those tips!
    The thing i didn't mentioned is that i got a HD that is dead now and
    the one(wd800jd) is the new one i put into my computer so i hope
    there's no crc error... :o) I will try to uninstall it in the control
    manager and i'll see.
    About the M/B it's a PCChips M758LMR and my bios is dated from
    05/10/01. I can't find anything on this shity board about IDE ATA
    etc... Do you think i must flash the bios too? If you can find any info
    on new driver for this board or you got other tips let me know!

    Thanks a lot!

    John

    Have you installed the latest M/B drivers, especially the dedicated IDE
    drivers for said board?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    <holdem9ball@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ->
    > Primary Controller for Device 0 under advanced settings
    > the transfer mode is set to: DMA if avaliable, the
    > Current Mode is: PIO Mode.The hard drive is a 80G western Digital i
    > think the WD800JD which is on its own ide cable connected
    > to the primary connector on the motherboard. I am using
    > windows XP Professional and the PCCHIPS MB.
    >
    > Also, when i start up my computer and it detects the
    > devices for the hard drive it says its in Ultra DMA Mode
    > 4 or 5, but in windows it isnt.
    >

    > Thank You for your time and help.
    >
    > John

    holdem9ball@hotmail.com wrote:
    > In device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ->
    > Primary Controller for Device 0 under advanced settings
    > the transfer mode is set to: DMA if avaliable, the
    > Current Mode is: PIO Mode.The hard drive is a 80G western Digital i
    > think the WD800JD which is on its own ide cable connected
    > to the primary connector on the motherboard. I am using
    > windows XP Professional and the PCCHIPS MB.
    >
    > Also, when i start up my computer and it detects the
    > devices for the hard drive it says its in Ultra DMA Mode
    > 4 or 5, but in windows it isnt.
    >

    > Thank You for your time and help.
    >
    > John

    Uninstall it through device manager and reboot,when you reboot new hardware
    will be found and it will be reinstalled in DMA mode,until you get several
    timeouts as Carey mentioned,Microsoft has a fix for this but you need to
    request it I think that SP2 is supposed to fix this as well but I'm not sure
    about that.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    Amazing what you can find with Google!

    http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Downloads/Category_Download.aspx?Categoryid=1&MenuID=35&LanID=0

    --

    > Hey thanks a lot guys for all those tips!
    > The thing i didn't mentioned is that i got a HD that is dead now and
    > the one(wd800jd) is the new one i put into my computer so i hope
    > there's no crc error... :o) I will try to uninstall it in the control
    > manager and i'll see.
    > About the M/B it's a PCChips M758LMR and my bios is dated from
    > 05/10/01. I can't find anything on this shity board about IDE ATA
    > etc... Do you think i must flash the bios too? If you can find any info
    > on new driver for this board or you got other tips let me know!
    >

    > Thanks a lot!
    >
    > John

    Thanks Richard Urban!

    I went to the website you gave me but i don't know more about the
    motherboard that it is a PCChips M758LMR (Socket 370 Intel P3) and on
    the download website i have to choose the version like (5.2 etc) and
    just to be sure before to flash the bios i want to be sure that i
    download the good version for the bios. The closer model i can see is
    M758L+ (5.2) . How to know if this is the good one for me? Does the
    plus(+) means all model that begin with M758L + anyother thing? If so
    there's another model that is M758+(5.2). Does it only mean that it is
    more general that the first one...i'm confused and i heard that not
    using the good bios version can make your computer not booting so
    that's why i'm asking maybe stupid question for you but i'm not expert
    with those thing and i want to have advice from experts before to say :
    Damn, look what you did fool! :oP

    I the bios update i saw
    4.Fixed IDE can't run UDMA mode in Win 2k.

    So i guess this can help me with my problem even if i don't have 2k but
    xp...no?

    Thanks a lot guys you are very nice!

    John

    <holdem9ball@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ->
    > Primary Controller for Device 0 under advanced settings
    > the transfer mode is set to: DMA if avaliable, the
    > Current Mode is: PIO Mode.The hard drive is a 80G western Digital i
    > think the WD800JD which is on its own ide cable connected
    > to the primary connector on the motherboard. I am using
    > windows XP Professional and the PCCHIPS MB.
    >
    > Also, when i start up my computer and it detects the
    > devices for the hard drive it says its in Ultra DMA Mode
    > 4 or 5, but in windows it isnt.
    >

    > Thank You for your time and help.
    >
    > John

    go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\
    Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x

    delete the keys:
    * MasterIdDataChecksum
    * SlaveIdDataChecksum
    From the appropriate number (eg, 0001 from the above path) for the drive.
    The "MatchingDeviceId" under the number key shows which channel it is, then
    delete the master or slave entry.

    If you cant figure out which number corresponds to which drive and dont know
    if its master / slave, just delete those two entries from all of the
    numbered keys, it wont cause any harm.

    Then reboot the PC.

    So, nobody can help me fastly? Because i need to flash the bios of my
    friend's computer in few hours! :( If nobody know it's ok i won't flash
    it anyway and try your registry thing even if i found this weird to
    play in the registry this way...there's no patch instead for this kind
    of problem so it fix it automaticly, because i don't want to destroy
    his computer playing with registry, because i don't know a lot about
    registry!

    Thanks in advance!

    John

    > Amazing what you can find with Google!
    >
    > http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Downloads/Category_Download.aspx?Categoryid=1&MenuID=35&LanID=0
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >

    > <holdem9ball@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hey thanks a lot guys for all those tips!
    >> The thing i didn't mentioned is that i got a HD that is dead now and
    >> the one(wd800jd) is the new one i put into my computer so i hope
    >> there's no crc error... :o) I will try to uninstall it in the control
    >> manager and i'll see.
    >> About the M/B it's a PCChips M758LMR and my bios is dated from
    >> 05/10/01. I can't find anything on this shity board about IDE ATA
    >> etc... Do you think i must flash the bios too? If you can find any info
    >> on new driver for this board or you got other tips let me know!
    >>

    >> Thanks a lot!
    >>
    >> John

DMA Hard Drives Windows XP