  • DMA
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
June 29, 2005 5:57:33 PM

In device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ->
Primary Controller for Device 0 under advanced settings
the transfer mode is set to: DMA if avaliable, the
Current Mode is: PIO Mode.The hard drive is a 80G western Digital i
think the WD800JD which is on its own ide cable connected
to the primary connector on the motherboard. I am using
windows XP Professional and the PCCHIPS MB.

Also, when i start up my computer and it detects the
devices for the hard drive it says its in Ultra DMA Mode
4 or 5, but in windows it isnt.

Thank You for your time and help.

John

More about : detect dma winxp

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:01:45 PM

IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode after multiple time-out or CRC errors occur
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"John" again wrote:

| In device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ->
| Primary Controller for Device 0 under advanced settings
| the transfer mode is set to: DMA if avaliable, the
| Current Mode is: PIO Mode.The hard drive is a 80G western Digital i
| think the WD800JD which is on its own ide cable connected
| to the primary connector on the motherboard. I am using
| windows XP Professional and the PCCHIPS MB.
|
| Also, when i start up my computer and it detects the
| devices for the hard drive it says its in Ultra DMA Mode
| 4 or 5, but in windows it isnt.
|

| Thank You for your time and help.
|
| John
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:29:34 PM

Hey thanks a lot guys for all those tips!
The thing i didn't mentioned is that i got a HD that is dead now and
the one(wd800jd) is the new one i put into my computer so i hope
there's no crc error... :o ) I will try to uninstall it in the control
manager and i'll see.
About the M/B it's a PCChips M758LMR and my bios is dated from
05/10/01. I can't find anything on this shity board about IDE ATA
etc... Do you think i must flash the bios too? If you can find any info
on new driver for this board or you got other tips let me know!

Thanks a lot!

John
June 29, 2005 9:05:59 PM

Have you installed the latest M/B drivers, especially the dedicated IDE
drivers for said board?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

<holdem9ball@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ->
> Primary Controller for Device 0 under advanced settings
> the transfer mode is set to: DMA if avaliable, the
> Current Mode is: PIO Mode.The hard drive is a 80G western Digital i
> think the WD800JD which is on its own ide cable connected
> to the primary connector on the motherboard. I am using
> windows XP Professional and the PCCHIPS MB.
>
> Also, when i start up my computer and it detects the
> devices for the hard drive it says its in Ultra DMA Mode
> 4 or 5, but in windows it isnt.
>

> Thank You for your time and help.
>
> John

June 29, 2005 10:17:54 PM

holdem9ball@hotmail.com wrote:
> In device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ->
> Primary Controller for Device 0 under advanced settings
> the transfer mode is set to: DMA if avaliable, the
> Current Mode is: PIO Mode.The hard drive is a 80G western Digital i
> think the WD800JD which is on its own ide cable connected
> to the primary connector on the motherboard. I am using
> windows XP Professional and the PCCHIPS MB.
>
> Also, when i start up my computer and it detects the
> devices for the hard drive it says its in Ultra DMA Mode
> 4 or 5, but in windows it isnt.
>

> Thank You for your time and help.
>
> John

Uninstall it through device manager and reboot,when you reboot new hardware
will be found and it will be reinstalled in DMA mode,until you get several
timeouts as Carey mentioned,Microsoft has a fix for this but you need to
request it I think that SP2 is supposed to fix this as well but I'm not sure
about that.

--
Mike Pawlak
Anonymous

Amazing what you can find with Google!

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Downloads/Category_Dow...

--

> Hey thanks a lot guys for all those tips!
> The thing i didn't mentioned is that i got a HD that is dead now and
> the one(wd800jd) is the new one i put into my computer so i hope
> there's no crc error... :o ) I will try to uninstall it in the control
> manager and i'll see.
> About the M/B it's a PCChips M758LMR and my bios is dated from
> 05/10/01. I can't find anything on this shity board about IDE ATA
> etc... Do you think i must flash the bios too? If you can find any info
> on new driver for this board or you got other tips let me know!
>

> Thanks a lot!
>
> John

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:29:04 AM

Thanks Richard Urban!

I went to the website you gave me but i don't know more about the
motherboard that it is a PCChips M758LMR (Socket 370 Intel P3) and on
the download website i have to choose the version like (5.2 etc) and
just to be sure before to flash the bios i want to be sure that i
download the good version for the bios. The closer model i can see is
M758L+ (5.2) . How to know if this is the good one for me? Does the
plus(+) means all model that begin with M758L + anyother thing? If so
there's another model that is M758+(5.2). Does it only mean that it is
more general that the first one...i'm confused and i heard that not
using the good bios version can make your computer not booting so
that's why i'm asking maybe stupid question for you but i'm not expert
with those thing and i want to have advice from experts before to say :
Damn, look what you did fool! :o P

I the bios update i saw
4.Fixed IDE can't run UDMA mode in Win 2k.

So i guess this can help me with my problem even if i don't have 2k but
xp...no?

Thanks a lot guys you are very nice!

John
June 30, 2005 12:36:59 PM

<holdem9ball@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ->
> Primary Controller for Device 0 under advanced settings
> the transfer mode is set to: DMA if avaliable, the
> Current Mode is: PIO Mode.The hard drive is a 80G western Digital i
> think the WD800JD which is on its own ide cable connected
> to the primary connector on the motherboard. I am using
> windows XP Professional and the PCCHIPS MB.
>
> Also, when i start up my computer and it detects the
> devices for the hard drive it says its in Ultra DMA Mode
> 4 or 5, but in windows it isnt.
>

> Thank You for your time and help.
>
> John

go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\
Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x

delete the keys:
* MasterIdDataChecksum
* SlaveIdDataChecksum
From the appropriate number (eg, 0001 from the above path) for the drive.
The "MatchingDeviceId" under the number key shows which channel it is, then
delete the master or slave entry.

If you cant figure out which number corresponds to which drive and dont know
if its master / slave, just delete those two entries from all of the
numbered keys, it wont cause any harm.

Then reboot the PC.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 2:37:32 PM

So, nobody can help me fastly? Because i need to flash the bios of my
friend's computer in few hours! :(  If nobody know it's ok i won't flash
it anyway and try your registry thing even if i found this weird to
play in the registry this way...there's no patch instead for this kind
of problem so it fix it automaticly, because i don't want to destroy
his computer playing with registry, because i don't know a lot about
registry!

Thanks in advance!

John
July 5, 2005 12:46:44 AM