CPU too hot

Why is my athlon 2500+ 55 celcius? I've een lowered the to vcore1.60. If I
try to overclock 200fsb it goes over 60 when i do large tasks. i've tried
several fans and heat sinks.

tia,
HC

Hervey Cleckley wrote:
> Why is my athlon 2500+ 55 celcius? I've een lowered the to
> vcore1.60. If I try to overclock 200fsb it goes over 60 when i do
> large tasks. i've tried several fans and heat sinks.

How high is the ambient temperature ? It the heat sink mounted correctly,
with thermal tape or paste ? It it stable under 100% CPU load ?
--
He said, "Bring on a brand new renaissance
Cause I think I'm ready

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Hervey Cleckley" <nick.spam@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Why is my athlon 2500+ 55 celcius? I've een lowered the to vcore1.60. If
> try to overclock 200fsb it goes over 60 when i do large tasks. i've tried
> several fans and heat sinks.

I would say 90% certain your case airflow is not good. What are the temps
like if you take the side off the case? If they go down much, then there's
your problem.

Chip

Hi,

Is it possible that the BIOS implementation of the reading of the thermal
sensor is wrong for you mobo? Mine temp changes sometimes (+/- 10'c) when I
flash to a new BIOS

FSAA

"Hervey Cleckley" <nick.spam@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Why is my athlon 2500+ 55 celcius? I've een lowered the to vcore1.60. If
> try to overclock 200fsb it goes over 60 when i do large tasks. i've tried
> several fans and heat sinks.
>

> tia,
> HC

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"FSAA" <fsaa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible that the BIOS implementation of the reading of the thermal
> sensor is wrong for you mobo? Mine temp changes sometimes (+/- 10'c) when
> flash to a new BIOS

Good point. They all are appallingly inaccurate. Still I'll bet yours have
never read over 60 though, has it? I think 60+ is the sign of a problem.

Chip

If it's not too far over 60c at max load then I wouldn't worry too much. I'm
running a 2500+ at 200fsb and mine gets up to 60 at times, but it's still
100% stable - that's the key. My last Athon 1.4ghz went up to 95c briefly,
when my 4 year old turned off all the switches on my fanbus! The chip didn't
apparently suffer any ill effects. I've been less concerned about temps
since then.

Out of interest, i'm running a Thermaltake Volcano 7 cooler and plenty of
case fans in an In-Win Q500 full tower case, although the position of the HD
bays does block air flow quite badly.