NTBackup.exe Delayed Write Failure

June 29, 2005 7:47:04 PM

Using the Production Win XP Backup Utility (NTbackup.exe), I have recently
not been able to complete a backup using Normal mode from one local harddrive
to another local harddrive (that is same p.c.) and attempting to back up
about 14 gbs, on a 50 gig drive. Windows is fully updated (which may be the
problem?).

Finishing somewhere near half of the job, the error shows up. Disk system
is NTFS version 5.2 and the backup destination drive is compressed. I use it
only to backup my primary drive. System is a 3 year old Systemax AMD Athlon
1900+.

I previously had no problem, now in the last several attempts this failure
is consistent. Daily Differential Mode backups work properly.

System event log reports as follows:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Ntfs
Event Category: None
Event ID: 50
Date: 6/28/2005
Time: 6:44:13 PM
User: N/A
Computer: RON
{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file.
The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your
computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file
elsewhere. For more information, see Help and Support Center at

A corresponding desktop error dialog says,

"Delayed Write Failed:
Windows was unable to save all the data for file X:\xxxx.bkf. The data has
been lost. this error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware
or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Another desktop error dialog says,

"Drive Error
This drive reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error Reported: Unknown Error.
There may be a hardware or media problem. Please check the system event log
for relevent failures."

I have run Norton Disk Doctor on the drive with negative results (no
errors). Norton Utilities SMART drive monitor shows both drives o.k.
Because the process is so system intensive, I try to keep nothing but
security software running.
Because the Backup overwrites the file, I currently have no system backup.

Does anyone have a thought as to what is causing this failure and what do to
about it?

Many thanks,
Ron
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:16:19 PM

"Ronald K" <RonaldK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using the Production Win XP Backup Utility (NTbackup.exe), I have recently
> not been able to complete a backup using Normal mode from one local
> harddrive
> to another local harddrive (that is same p.c.) and attempting to back up
> about 14 gbs, on a 50 gig drive. Windows is fully updated (which may be
> the
> problem?).
>
> Finishing somewhere near half of the job, the error shows up. Disk system
> is NTFS version 5.2 and the backup destination drive is compressed. I use
> it
> only to backup my primary drive. System is a 3 year old Systemax AMD
> Athlon
> 1900+.
>
> I previously had no problem, now in the last several attempts this failure
> is consistent. Daily Differential Mode backups work properly.
>
> System event log reports as follows:
>

> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: Ntfs
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 50
> Date: 6/28/2005
> Time: 6:44:13 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: RON
> {Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the
> file.
> The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your
> computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file
> elsewhere. For more information, see Help and Support Center at
>
> A corresponding desktop error dialog says,
>
> "Delayed Write Failed:
> Windows was unable to save all the data for file X:\xxxx.bkf. The data
> has
> been lost. this error may be caused by a failure of your computer
> hardware
> or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.
>
> Another desktop error dialog says,
>
> "Drive Error
> This drive reported an error on a request to write data to media.
> Error Reported: Unknown Error.
> There may be a hardware or media problem. Please check the system event
> log
> for relevent failures."
>
> I have run Norton Disk Doctor on the drive with negative results (no
> errors). Norton Utilities SMART drive monitor shows both drives o.k.
> Because the process is so system intensive, I try to keep nothing but
> security software running.
> Because the Backup overwrites the file, I currently have no system backup.
>
> Does anyone have a thought as to what is causing this failure and what do
> about it?
>
> Many thanks,
> Ron

Turn off write caching for the drive. In the device manager click on the
drive properties then the policy tab. This should fix the symptom but not
the problem. Something is causing this. Usually it's a bad drive. I don't
know if I would trust it for a backup. You need to look for an alternative
backup. If the data is important you need two independent backup methods.

Kerry
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:46:01 PM

Kerry,

Any reason why the Disk Cache Write options are grayed? This is a fixed
disk.

Thanks,
Ron

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I have run Norton Disk Doctor on the drive with negative results (no
> > errors). Norton Utilities SMART drive monitor shows both drives o.k.
> > Because the process is so system intensive, I try to keep nothing but
> > security software running.
> > Because the Backup overwrites the file, I currently have no system backup.
> >
> > Does anyone have a thought as to what is causing this failure and what do
> > about it?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Ron
> >

> Turn off write caching for the drive. In the device manager click on the
> drive properties then the policy tab. This should fix the symptom but not
> the problem. Something is causing this. Usually it's a bad drive. I don't
> know if I would trust it for a backup. You need to look for an alternative
> backup. If the data is important you need two independent backup methods.

June 29, 2005 11:10:46 PM

> Kerry,
>
> Any reason why the Disk Cache Write options are grayed? This is a fixed
> disk.
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

Ron

Not sure why that happens. I've seen it before but haven't been able to
track down the cause or a fix. See if something in the following link
applies to your situation.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330174

Kerry

> [...]
>> > Because the process is so system intensive, I try to keep nothing but
>> > security software running.
>> > Because the Backup overwrites the file, I currently have no system
>> > backup.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have a thought as to what is causing this failure and what
>> > do
>> > about it?
>> >
>> > Many thanks,
>> > Ron
>> >

>> Turn off write caching for the drive. In the device manager click on the
>> drive properties then the policy tab. This should fix the symptom but not
>> the problem. Something is causing this. Usually it's a bad drive. I don't
>> know if I would trust it for a backup. You need to look for an
>> alternative
>> backup. If the data is important you need two independent backup methods.

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:16:14 AM

Kerry Brown wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>I have run Norton Disk Doctor on the drive with negative results (no
>>errors). Norton Utilities SMART drive monitor shows both drives o.k.
>>Because the process is so system intensive, I try to keep nothing but
>>security software running.
>>Because the Backup overwrites the file, I currently have no system backup.
>>
>>Does anyone have a thought as to what is causing this failure and what do
>>about it?
>>
>>Many thanks,
>>Ron
>>

> Turn off write caching for the drive. In the device manager click on the
> drive properties then the policy tab. This should fix the symptom but not
> the problem. Something is causing this. Usually it's a bad drive. I don't
> know if I would trust it for a backup. You need to look for an alternative
> backup. If the data is important you need two independent backup methods.

I would also try turning off compression just to simplify things. {I had
problems with compression under an earlier version of WinDuhs, and I've never
trusted it since.}

Also, check the cables (power and signal) to the troublesome HD - they may
have become loose.

I don't have much faith in Norton's stuff. I suggest downloading the HD
vendor's disk test utility, and running that with a full check (probably
an overnight run).
--
Cheers, Bob
Anonymous

Thanks for the good intelligence, Kerry.

Regards,
Ron

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Ronald K" <RonaldK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Kerry,
> >
> > Any reason why the Disk Cache Write options are grayed? This is a fixed
> > disk.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ron
> >

> Ron
>
> Not sure why that happens. I've seen it before but haven't been able to
> track down the cause or a fix. See if something in the following link
> applies to your situation.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330174
>
> Kerry
>

> > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
> >
> >> "Ronald K" <RonaldK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Turn off write caching for the drive. In the device manager click on the
> >> drive properties then the policy tab. This should fix the symptom but not
> >> the problem. Something is causing this. Usually it's a bad drive. I don't
> >> know if I would trust it for a backup. You need to look for an
> >> alternative
> >> backup. If the data is important you need two independent backup methods.
> >>
> >> Kerry

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:39:03 AM

Hi Bob,
Thanks, I either have done these things or will do. I have fixed strange
behavior in the past by reseating the cables. Funny, that was sop when I
worked briefly on Kinkos POS Helpdesk. Works about 90% of the time.

Regards,
Ron

"Bob Willard" wrote:

> [...]
> >>

> > Turn off write caching for the drive. In the device manager click on the
> > drive properties then the policy tab. This should fix the symptom but not
> > the problem. Something is causing this. Usually it's a bad drive. I don't
> > know if I would trust it for a backup. You need to look for an alternative
> > backup. If the data is important you need two independent backup methods.
> >
> > Kerry
> >

> I would also try turning off compression just to simplify things. {I had
> problems with compression under an earlier version of WinDuhs, and I've never
> trusted it since.}
>
> Also, check the cables (power and signal) to the troublesome HD - they may
> have become loose.
>
> I don't have much faith in Norton's stuff. I suggest downloading the HD
> vendor's disk test utility, and running that with a full check (probably

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 1:12:01 AM

Wanted to let you know that my attempt tonight to make a backup worked after
de-compressing the drive.

Regards,
Ron

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Ronald K" <RonaldK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Kerry,
> >
> > Any reason why the Disk Cache Write options are grayed? This is a fixed
> > disk.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ron
> >

> Ron
>
> Not sure why that happens. I've seen it before but haven't been able to
> track down the cause or a fix. See if something in the following link
> applies to your situation.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330174
>
> Kerry
>

> > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
> >
> >> "Ronald K" <RonaldK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Turn off write caching for the drive. In the device manager click on the
> >> drive properties then the policy tab. This should fix the symptom but not
> >> the problem. Something is causing this. Usually it's a bad drive. I don't
> >> know if I would trust it for a backup. You need to look for an
> >> alternative
> >> backup. If the data is important you need two independent backup methods.
> >>
> >> Kerry

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 1:13:04 AM

Wanted to let you know I had a successful backup tonight after decompressing
the drive.

Regards,
Ron

"Bob Willard" wrote:

> [...]
> >>

> > Turn off write caching for the drive. In the device manager click on the
> > drive properties then the policy tab. This should fix the symptom but not
> > the problem. Something is causing this. Usually it's a bad drive. I don't
> > know if I would trust it for a backup. You need to look for an alternative
> > backup. If the data is important you need two independent backup methods.
> >
> > Kerry
> >

> I would also try turning off compression just to simplify things. {I had
> problems with compression under an earlier version of WinDuhs, and I've never
> trusted it since.}
>
> Also, check the cables (power and signal) to the troublesome HD - they may
> have become loose.
>
> I don't have much faith in Norton's stuff. I suggest downloading the HD
> vendor's disk test utility, and running that with a full check (probably

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 1:37:58 AM

> Wanted to let you know that my attempt tonight to make a backup worked
> after
> de-compressing the drive.
>
> Regards,
> Ron