Software to control PCI/AGP divider possible?

I'm ignorant of how the hardware design works, but given that some
software (like softFSB and coolCPU) can control FSB speed
independently of motheboard settings, is it possible for software to
directly or indirectly control PCI/AGP speed via a "software" divider?
My MSI motherboard was indicated as supporting 166 FSB CPUs when it
came out, but that support was never delivered (no 1/5 divider
apparently). So right now i'm stuck at 133x16 (original 2600+
settings). Are the FSB/PCI/AGP divider functions so hardware-based
that no software can direcly control PCI frequency? I guess if this
type of thing could be done someone would already have done it. It's
annoying having a motherboard which allows setting FSB up to 200, but
having no 1/5 divider makes this worthless as PCI is way out of spec.
Even 166 is not usable with no 1/5 divider.
1 answer Last reply
More about software control divider possible

    "zmike6" <zmike6@*SPAMBLOCK*yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I'm ignorant of how the hardware design works, but given that some
    > software (like softFSB and coolCPU) can control FSB speed
    > independently of motheboard settings, is it possible for software to
    > directly or indirectly control PCI/AGP speed via a "software" divider?
    > My MSI motherboard was indicated as supporting 166 FSB CPUs when it
    > came out, but that support was never delivered (no 1/5 divider
    > apparently). So right now i'm stuck at 133x16 (original 2600+
    > settings). Are the FSB/PCI/AGP divider functions so hardware-based
    > that no software can direcly control PCI frequency? I guess if this
    > type of thing could be done someone would already have done it. It's
    > annoying having a motherboard which allows setting FSB up to 200, but
    > having no 1/5 divider makes this worthless as PCI is way out of spec.
    > Even 166 is not usable with no 1/5 divider.

    Nothing can create a divider that the chipset doesn't support. But in
    theory it is possible to write a piece of software that could change the
    divider. And even conceivably switch to one that was supported by the
    chipset, but not by the bios.

    There's nothing magic about a bios - its just a piece of software like
    anything else. A problem you might have with a Windows based tool though,
    is that running it could well crash Windows. And then when you rebooted,
    you'd be back to where you started. The bios has the advantage of being
    able to run *very* early on.

    Chip

AMD Hardware PCI Software Overclocking