HP Deskjet printer won't print black

I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it
stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and
cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine.

I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about deskjet printer print black

    "Carol" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it
    > stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and
    > cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine.

    Start by disconnecting the computer and doing a simple diagnostic print as
    shown at:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&product=61012&dlc=en&lang=en#N1017E

    If this prints a simple nozzle pattern of black, cyan, magenta and yellow then
    the problem may lie with your driver.

    Regards,
    MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote in message news:<36f36d84.0407200645.c934c86@posting.google.com>...
    > I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it
    > stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and
    > cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.
    >
    > Thanks

    I don't know much about this particular HP printer but the newer ones
    come with new heads on the cartridges themselves. However, you did
    say that it is an old printer so are the heads on the printer itself
    (likely) or on the cartridge? I had an Epson printer at one time
    which did exactly the same thing and it turned out that the printing
    head for black was plugged up. That's the nice thing about the new HP
    printers (mine anyway), you throw the head away with the cartridge and
    install a new one every time so chances of them plugging up are slim.

    Carol wrote:

    > I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it
    > stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and
    > cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.
    >
    > Thanks
    Stupid question time- did you pull off the tape covering the print nozzles?

    tomcas <tomcas@NOSPAMmjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message news:<CjhLc.65325$S45.7685436@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
    > Carol wrote:
    >
    > > I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it
    > > stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and
    > > cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine.
    > >
    > > I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > Stupid question time- did you pull off the tape covering the print nozzles?

    Yup

    Carol wrote:
    > tomcas <tomcas@NOSPAMmjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message news:<CjhLc.65325$S45.7685436@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
    >
    >>Carol wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it
    >>>stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and
    >>>cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine.
    >>>
    >>>I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>
    >> Stupid question time- did you pull off the tape covering the print nozzles?
    >

    > Yup
    Did you try the self test as suggested by Bob?

    googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote in message news:<36f36d84.0407200645.c934c86@posting.google.com>...
    > I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it
    > stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and
    > cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.
    >
    > Thanks

    Never mind. I bought a new printer yesterday. Just can't do without
    a printer for too long.

    By the way I did do the print test and no black appeared. Mostly like
    it was a clogged print head, although I did try cleaning it. Anyway
    printers are pretty cheap so what the heck............

Printers Hewlett Packard Deskjet Peripherals