DVD read speed drops to half on Compaq Presario 2197

Hi,

My Presario 2197 notebook has a DVD ROM (TEAC DW-224E-A) with 8x read
speed. I used to be able to copy DVDs to an external DVD writer
(connected by Firewire) at 8x using Nero and DVD-Rs.

Since a couple of months ago, its read speed has droped to half. I have
used Nero toolkit to test the speed. It starts from about 1.75x and the
maximum read speed won't go beyond 4x. I also tried to get the speed by
Roxio's Disk Copier and it gave the same result.

Zhixin
2 answers Last reply
More about read speed drops half compaq presario 2197

    Have you changed anything... like the brand of media you use?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    <zhixin_han@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My Presario 2197 notebook has a DVD ROM (TEAC DW-224E-A) with 8x read
    > speed. I used to be able to copy DVDs to an external DVD writer
    > (connected by Firewire) at 8x using Nero and DVD-Rs.
    >
    > Since a couple of months ago, its read speed has droped to half. I have
    > used Nero toolkit to test the speed. It starts from about 1.75x and the
    > maximum read speed won't go beyond 4x. I also tried to get the speed by
    > Roxio's Disk Copier and it gave the same result.
    >
    > Zhixin

    No. I tried a few different movie DVDs.

    Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Have you changed anything... like the brand of media you use?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > <zhixin_han@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > My Presario 2197 notebook has a DVD ROM (TEAC DW-224E-A) with 8x read
    > > speed. I used to be able to copy DVDs to an external DVD writer
    > > (connected by Firewire) at 8x using Nero and DVD-Rs.
    > >
    > > Since a couple of months ago, its read speed has droped to half. I have
    > > used Nero toolkit to test the speed. It starts from about 1.75x and the
    > > maximum read speed won't go beyond 4x. I also tried to get the speed by
    > > Roxio's Disk Copier and it gave the same result.
    > >
    > > Zhixin

DVD Presario Windows XP