2600+ OC Question

I recently purchased a Barton-core 2600+ that I thought was going to be
unlocked. I had already upgraded my RAM to OCZ PC3200 and my cooling to a
Coolermaster Aero 7+ in anticipation of some decent overclocking. It turns
out my 2600+ is locked and I'm left tweaking the FSB. Evidently I'm a
two-fold loser in that despite pushing the CPU voltage to 1.70, I've got
stability problems going beyond just high 170 MHz range on the FSB. I think
the stability problem is coming from the overclocked RAM. I've got an Abit
NF-7S v2.0 motherboard and when the FSB/DRAM BIOS setting is on "Auto", the
RAM defaults to 333 MHz. When the BIOS setting is "By SPD", the RAM runs at
the advertised 400 MHz when the FSB is at the 166 MHz default. On "By SPD",
the RAM frequency goes up when I bump up the FSB frequency. Is there a way
to push my FSB into the 180 or even 190 MHz range and keep the RAM running
at its specified 400 MHz speed?

PS My temps at "medium throttle" on the Aero 7+ are 47-50C range, so I can
still crank more CFM if you think my voltage needs to go higher.

mawalkr

Set the FSB/RAM clock ratio to 6/6...then bump up the core voltage to 1.8V,
then give 200FSB a try. I had a locked XP2600+ that would run all the way to
225FSB but it needed 2.06V to get there. With a decent chip 1.8V should see
you to 200FSB / 2.3GHz .

"Mark Walker" <mawalkr@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> I recently purchased a Barton-core 2600+ that I thought was going to be
> unlocked. I had already upgraded my RAM to OCZ PC3200 and my cooling to a
> Coolermaster Aero 7+ in anticipation of some decent overclocking. It
turns
> out my 2600+ is locked and I'm left tweaking the FSB. Evidently I'm a
> two-fold loser in that despite pushing the CPU voltage to 1.70, I've got
> stability problems going beyond just high 170 MHz range on the FSB. I
think
> the stability problem is coming from the overclocked RAM. I've got an
Abit
> NF-7S v2.0 motherboard and when the FSB/DRAM BIOS setting is on "Auto",
the
> RAM defaults to 333 MHz. When the BIOS setting is "By SPD", the RAM runs
at
> the advertised 400 MHz when the FSB is at the 166 MHz default. On "By
SPD",
> the RAM frequency goes up when I bump up the FSB frequency. Is there a
way
> to push my FSB into the 180 or even 190 MHz range and keep the RAM running
> at its specified 400 MHz speed?
>
> PS My temps at "medium throttle" on the Aero 7+ are 47-50C range, so I
can
> still crank more CFM if you think my voltage needs to go higher.
>
> mawalkr

Thanks BigBadger, but it was a no go. My computer refused to boot. I think
statistics are at work here. For all those lucky souls who have gotten very
cooperative Bartons there has to be a few on the other end of the curve
getting lemons. I still have a high quality, unlocked 2400+ Thoroughbred
from which I "upgraded". I think I'll put it back in and see if I can drive
it at 200 MHz. Assuming it works, I think the extra speed will more than
make up for the missing 256k in the cache.

mawalkr

"BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Set the FSB/RAM clock ratio to 6/6...then bump up the core voltage to
1.8V,
> then give 200FSB a try. I had a locked XP2600+ that would run all the way
> 225FSB but it needed 2.06V to get there. With a decent chip 1.8V should
see
> you to 200FSB / 2.3GHz .
>

> --
> *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
> "Mark Walker" <mawalkr@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> > I recently purchased a Barton-core 2600+ that I thought was going to be
> > unlocked. I had already upgraded my RAM to OCZ PC3200 and my cooling to
> > Coolermaster Aero 7+ in anticipation of some decent overclocking. It
> turns
> > out my 2600+ is locked and I'm left tweaking the FSB. Evidently I'm a
> > two-fold loser in that despite pushing the CPU voltage to 1.70, I've got
> > stability problems going beyond just high 170 MHz range on the FSB. I
> think
> > the stability problem is coming from the overclocked RAM. I've got an
> Abit
> > NF-7S v2.0 motherboard and when the FSB/DRAM BIOS setting is on "Auto",
> the
> > RAM defaults to 333 MHz. When the BIOS setting is "By SPD", the RAM
runs
> at
> > the advertised 400 MHz when the FSB is at the 166 MHz default. On "By
> SPD",
> > the RAM frequency goes up when I bump up the FSB frequency. Is there a
> way
> > to push my FSB into the 180 or even 190 MHz range and keep the RAM
running
> > at its specified 400 MHz speed?
> >
> > PS My temps at "medium throttle" on the Aero 7+ are 47-50C range, so I
> can
> > still crank more CFM if you think my voltage needs to go higher.
> >
> > mawalkr

Im using a 2600+ barton and a asus a7n8x-e deluxe mobo with 512mb
kingston ddr 333 ( pc2700 ) ram.

I can sucessfully clock the ram and the cpu at 189 fsb and get a clock
speed of 2.17ghz. ( 189x11.5 ). the cpu is multiplier locked.

Not to far off xp3200+ speeds.

thanks

paul