I can not find advanced setting

I tried to change IDE sitting to DMA mode, but i found there is no advanced
setting page in the PC system in the IDE nor I can find it in any driver in
any of the hardware profile. all what I find in the properties is 4 pages:
General, deiver, detailes, resoureces, and in the resources page I found in
gray
Seitting base on Current configuration and I can not change it, it seems
that my system in default mode that can not be changed

please help, how can I change my PC setting

XP 2002+ service pack 2
pentium 4 2.53
Ram 512
motherboard Intel

You didnt mention what intel chipset you have on the board,if its a 850 or
less,then you can download the application accelerator from intel ver.2.3 and
adjust the speed as youd like it.However,at default settings,it runs as
fast as
the drive is capable of,also,no matter which chipset you do have,most drivers
are in the,intel chipset installation utility,also a download.Other than
that,youre
BIOS will have speed settings also.

"refat" wrote:

> I tried to change IDE sitting to DMA mode, but i found there is no advanced
> setting page in the PC system in the IDE nor I can find it in any driver in
> any of the hardware profile. all what I find in the properties is 4 pages:
> General, deiver, detailes, resoureces, and in the resources page I found in
> gray
> Seitting base on Current configuration and I can not change it, it seems
> that my system in default mode that can not be changed
>
> please help, how can I change my PC setting
>
> XP 2002+ service pack 2
> pentium 4 2.53
> Ram 512
> motherboard Intel

You will not see the Advanced Settings section if your hardware does not
support it. Or if it is taken care of through the driver settings. An
example of this is the Intel Application Accelerator.
---------
[[(Note: You will not see the Advanced Settings section if your hardware
does not support it)]]

[[ Or if it is taken care of through the driver settings.]]

[[Hardware tab - Select "Device manager". Expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"
Select properties for each channel and move to the Advanced Settings tab
For "Transfer Mode" select "DMA if available"
DMA, Direct Memory Access allows IDE devices to read and write directly to
and from RAM, bypassing the CPU. CPU usage is significantly reduced as
compared to PIO, Programmed Input Output mode. DMA also has the added
advantage of increasing the data transfer rate of the IDE device.]]

Optimizing Windows XP
http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/wxptwks.htm

Device settings are hard to find in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310751

Check and Set DMA Mode
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/howto-05.htm

[[4. In the Primary/Secondary IDE Channel Properties window, select the
Advanced Settings tab (if the Properties window does not have an Advanced
Settings tab, see the Note at the end).
Note: With some IDE drivers/Busmastering drivers, DMA cannot be enabled
through the device manager, but only through the driver settings. An example
of this is the Intel Application Accelerator.]]

Instructions for enabling DMA in Windows XP.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7625

[[For repeated DMA errors. Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device
after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more
that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only
PIO mode on that device.
In this case, the user cannot turn on DMA for this device. The only option
for the user who wants to enable DMA mode is to uninstall and reinstall the
device.]]

DMA Mode for ATA/ATAPI Devices in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:81A201C7-F5B2-49C3-A369-AA3FDA5EC204@microsoft.com,
refat <refat@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I tried to change IDE sitting to DMA mode, but i found there is no
> advanced setting page in the PC system in the IDE nor I can find it in
> any driver in any of the hardware profile. all what I find in the
> properties is 4 pages: General, deiver, detailes, resoureces, and in the
> resources page I found in gray
> Seitting base on Current configuration and I can not change it, it seems
> that my system in default mode that can not be changed
>
> please help, how can I change my PC setting
>
> XP 2002+ service pack 2
> pentium 4 2.53
> Ram 512
> motherboard Intel

damo

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

In XP the DMA setting page is not under the drive properties. Instead you
need to go Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager then select IDE
ATA/ATAPI controllers, double click on the channel of your choice then you
should see the advanced page with the DMA settings.