AMD vs Intel Hyperthreading

I was talking to a sysadmin from a retail store & he just put together a
system with an Intel hyperthreading chip. He says under linux it comes up
as 2 cpus and is effectively 1.6 to 1.8 CPUs.

Knowing very little about Intel CPUs, how does this compare to the lastest
AMD 64 bit cpus? What about comparitive cost/speed for motherboard/CPU?

gtoomey
5 answers Last reply
More about intel hyperthreading

    While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', Gregory Toomey <nospam@bigpond.com>
    scribbled:

    >I was talking to a sysadmin from a retail store & he just put together a
    >system with an Intel hyperthreading chip. He says under linux it comes up
    >as 2 cpus and is effectively 1.6 to 1.8 CPUs.
    >
    >Knowing very little about Intel CPUs, how does this compare to the lastest
    >AMD 64 bit cpus? What about comparitive cost/speed for motherboard/CPU?

    For some things, the Intel hyperthreaded CPUs will blow away any AMD.

    Under most things, it's not much, if any, faster.

    My P4C 2.6gig processes 2 Seti@home units in less than 4 hours.

    My XP2800 does 1 unit in about 2.4 hours.

    To reply by email, remove the XYZ.

    This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity....

    Gregory Toomey wrote:
    > I was talking to a sysadmin from a retail store & he just put
    > together a system with an Intel hyperthreading chip. He says under
    > linux it comes up as 2 cpus and is effectively 1.6 to 1.8 CPUs.
    >
    > Knowing very little about Intel CPUs, how does this compare to the
    > lastest AMD 64 bit cpus? What about comparitive cost/speed for
    > motherboard/CPU?
    >
    > gtoomey

    p4's have hyperthreading, it's no great thing though, very few applications
    will take advantage of it really

    basicly the 64bit amd piss's on the p4, i was hoping intel would make
    something worth buying, but they arn't, so amd64 it is, once they get around
    to consumer priced FX and socket 939

    Gregory Toomey wrote:
    > I was talking to a sysadmin from a retail store & he just put
    > together a system with an Intel hyperthreading chip. He says under
    > linux it comes up as 2 cpus and is effectively 1.6 to 1.8 CPUs.

    This depends heavily on the apps used. If you run two copies of an optimised
    program such as Folding@Home, it's equavalent to somewhere between 1.0 and
    1.1 CPUs (or in some extreme cases, actually slower due to cache
    contention). The biggest gain is when you run an integer app (such as
    SuperPi) and a floating-point app (such as a MPEG encoder) in which case you
    usally get about a 30% speedup (1.3 CPUs, so to speak) compared to a
    uniprocessor system. Some very poorly-optimised apps show bigger speedups
    though, as the speedup is inversely proportional to the degree of
    optimisation. Be warned that there are many cases where using hyperthreading
    will actually make the machine run slower.

    > Knowing very little about Intel CPUs, how does this compare to the
    > lastest AMD 64 bit cpus?

    As usual, it'll depend on the application :) For games, general usage, etc,
    the A64 will win against the P4, especially if the apps are optimised for
    the A64. "Scientific" apps that don't use SSE have always favored the K7's,
    and this still holds for the K8. The P4 will win media encoding and some
    raytracing apps (those that have been heavily tweaked for the P4, the others
    the A64 will win). Also, things that require a large amount of memory
    bandwidth (eg: list processing, database serving) will also generally be won
    by the P4.

    > What about comparitive cost/speed for
    > motherboard/CPU?

    The A64's are still priced quite high compared to the AXPs (approximately
    equal to the P4, MHz for rating wise), and the above pretty much applies
    again. For gaming etc, the A64 outdoes the P4 price/performance wise, and
    the P4 outdoes the A64 for encoding etc price/performance wise.

    --
    Michael Brown

    Gregory Toomey wrote:
    > I was talking to a sysadmin from a retail store & he just put together a
    > system with an Intel hyperthreading chip. He says under linux it comes up
    > as 2 cpus and is effectively 1.6 to 1.8 CPUs.
    >
    > Knowing very little about Intel CPUs, how does this compare to the lastest
    > AMD 64 bit cpus? What about comparitive cost/speed for motherboard/CPU?
    >
    > gtoomey

    He can't be that great of a System Administrator, if he is working in a
    Retail Store. If he wasn't working in a Retail Store, he would know the
    small form server market loves AMD. Intel dosn't have any CPU's that
    could compete in that market at this point in time. Reason being,
    Intel sockets on the M/B are huge and you can only fit so many on there.

    As for Hyperthreading. You can create as many extra threads as you wish
    in the CPU, but they shall all still have to compete for rescources with
    other threads. One reason, why turning Hyperthreading off in the BIOS,
    can lead to extra performance with a lot of applications. Hyperthreading
    is a poor mans sollution to having multiple physical CPU's.

    You can't compaire 32bit to 64bit. However, Intel shall have 64bit AMD
    CPU instructions 'Inside' soon.

    Cheers Minotaur (8*

    While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', Minotaur <antnel@hotmail.com>
    scribbled:

    >He can't be that great of a System Administrator, if he is working in a
    >Retail Store. If he wasn't working in a Retail Store, he would know the
    >small form server market loves AMD.

    You have NO idea what you're talking about.

    >As for Hyperthreading. You can create as many extra threads as you wish
    >in the CPU,

    And again, you have NO idea what you're talking about.

    To reply by email, remove the XYZ.

    This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity....

AMD CPUs Intel Overclocking Product