Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 4, 2004 8:41:51 PM

I was talking to a sysadmin from a retail store & he just put together a
system with an Intel hyperthreading chip. He says under linux it comes up
as 2 cpus and is effectively 1.6 to 1.8 CPUs.

Knowing very little about Intel CPUs, how does this compare to the lastest
AMD 64 bit cpus? What about comparitive cost/speed for motherboard/CPU?

gtoomey

More about : amd intel hyperthreading

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 4, 2004 8:41:52 PM

While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', Gregory Toomey <nospam@bigpond.com>
scribbled:

>I was talking to a sysadmin from a retail store & he just put together a
>system with an Intel hyperthreading chip. He says under linux it comes up
>as 2 cpus and is effectively 1.6 to 1.8 CPUs.
>
>Knowing very little about Intel CPUs, how does this compare to the lastest
>AMD 64 bit cpus? What about comparitive cost/speed for motherboard/CPU?

For some things, the Intel hyperthreaded CPUs will blow away any AMD.

Under most things, it's not much, if any, faster.

My P4C 2.6gig processes 2 Seti@home units in less than 4 hours.

My XP2800 does 1 unit in about 2.4 hours.

To reply by email, remove the XYZ.

This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity....
April 4, 2004 8:41:52 PM

Gregory Toomey wrote:
> I was talking to a sysadmin from a retail store & he just put
> together a system with an Intel hyperthreading chip. He says under
> linux it comes up as 2 cpus and is effectively 1.6 to 1.8 CPUs.
>
> Knowing very little about Intel CPUs, how does this compare to the
> lastest AMD 64 bit cpus? What about comparitive cost/speed for
> motherboard/CPU?
>
> gtoomey

p4's have hyperthreading, it's no great thing though, very few applications
will take advantage of it really

basicly the 64bit amd piss's on the p4, i was hoping intel would make
something worth buying, but they arn't, so amd64 it is, once they get around
to consumer priced FX and socket 939
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 4, 2004 11:25:46 PM

Gregory Toomey wrote:
> I was talking to a sysadmin from a retail store & he just put
> together a system with an Intel hyperthreading chip. He says under
> linux it comes up as 2 cpus and is effectively 1.6 to 1.8 CPUs.

This depends heavily on the apps used. If you run two copies of an optimised
program such as Folding@Home, it's equavalent to somewhere between 1.0 and
1.1 CPUs (or in some extreme cases, actually slower due to cache
contention). The biggest gain is when you run an integer app (such as
SuperPi) and a floating-point app (such as a MPEG encoder) in which case you
usally get about a 30% speedup (1.3 CPUs, so to speak) compared to a
uniprocessor system. Some very poorly-optimised apps show bigger speedups
though, as the speedup is inversely proportional to the degree of
optimisation. Be warned that there are many cases where using hyperthreading
will actually make the machine run slower.

> Knowing very little about Intel CPUs, how does this compare to the
> lastest AMD 64 bit cpus?

As usual, it'll depend on the application :)  For games, general usage, etc,
the A64 will win against the P4, especially if the apps are optimised for
the A64. "Scientific" apps that don't use SSE have always favored the K7's,
and this still holds for the K8. The P4 will win media encoding and some
raytracing apps (those that have been heavily tweaked for the P4, the others
the A64 will win). Also, things that require a large amount of memory
bandwidth (eg: list processing, database serving) will also generally be won
by the P4.

> What about comparitive cost/speed for
> motherboard/CPU?

The A64's are still priced quite high compared to the AXPs (approximately
equal to the P4, MHz for rating wise), and the above pretty much applies
again. For gaming etc, the A64 outdoes the P4 price/performance wise, and
the P4 outdoes the A64 for encoding etc price/performance wise.

--
Michael Brown
April 6, 2004 5:20:43 PM

Gregory Toomey wrote:
> I was talking to a sysadmin from a retail store & he just put together a
> system with an Intel hyperthreading chip. He says under linux it comes up
> as 2 cpus and is effectively 1.6 to 1.8 CPUs.
>
> Knowing very little about Intel CPUs, how does this compare to the lastest
> AMD 64 bit cpus? What about comparitive cost/speed for motherboard/CPU?
>
> gtoomey

He can't be that great of a System Administrator, if he is working in a
Retail Store. If he wasn't working in a Retail Store, he would know the
small form server market loves AMD. Intel dosn't have any CPU's that
could compete in that market at this point in time. Reason being,
Intel sockets on the M/B are huge and you can only fit so many on there.

As for Hyperthreading. You can create as many extra threads as you wish
in the CPU, but they shall all still have to compete for rescources with
other threads. One reason, why turning Hyperthreading off in the BIOS,
can lead to extra performance with a lot of applications. Hyperthreading
is a poor mans sollution to having multiple physical CPU's.

You can't compaire 32bit to 64bit. However, Intel shall have 64bit AMD
CPU instructions 'Inside' soon.

Cheers Minotaur (8*
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 6, 2004 5:20:44 PM

While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', Minotaur <antnel@hotmail.com>
scribbled:

>He can't be that great of a System Administrator, if he is working in a
>Retail Store. If he wasn't working in a Retail Store, he would know the
>small form server market loves AMD.

You have NO idea what you're talking about.

>As for Hyperthreading. You can create as many extra threads as you wish
>in the CPU,

And again, you have NO idea what you're talking about.

!