Screen resolution and USB ports not working

Hi all,

Recently my PC conked out due to what seemed to be a power failure
caused by a fuse going in the power adaptor plug.

Upon fixing that and re-starting the PC, I saw that my screen
resolution had gone to 800x600 pixels as if the PC was in safe mode
(which it is not).

Also, none of my USB ports are working at all. I have checked drivers
etc and all seems fine.

Has the system been fried or can anyone put forward any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers :)

--
katelev

Try gettng the latest drivers for your graphics card (or adapter) from the
manufacturer's website... as for the USB, you might want to think about
getting a separate PCI USB 2.0 card. It's a lot cheaper going that route
than changing out the motherboard or getting a new PC.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:40:35 +0000, katelev wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Recently my PC conked out due to what seemed to be a power failure
> caused by a fuse going in the power adaptor plug.
>
> Upon fixing that and re-starting the PC, I saw that my screen
> resolution had gone to 800x600 pixels as if the PC was in safe mode
> (which it is not).
>
> Also, none of my USB ports are working at all. I have checked drivers
> etc and all seems fine.
>
> Has the system been fried or can anyone put forward any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers :)

It's possible there was electrical damage. Impossible to say if it is
limited to just the display adapter and USB ports or if it's more
extensive.

Suggestions:
What does Device Manager say about these hardware devices?
Tried reinstalling the display drivers?
Have you tried deleting the non-working hardware and letting XP have a go
at reinstalling it?

If all else fails, then have the system checked by a qualified tech that
can test various components for electrical damage.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User