Memory problems

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.mainboards.abit (More info?)

I have been having sporadic problems with my system rebooting for no
apparent reason as well as IE crashing (again for no apparent reason). I
have Win XP Pro on an ABIT KX-333 and it doesn't happen all the time,
perhaps once per week. I am trying to find the suspect memory.
I have two sticks of PC2700 DDR memory CAS-2 (256k each). One stick is from
Kingston and one is from Crucial). I don't do overclocking/tweaking.

I ran both memtest86 as well as Microsoft's memory testers and one of the
tests fails. Microsoft's test of STRIDE6 always fails. MEMTEST86's test 6
always fails (I assume these tests are the same across the software). I only
ran these tests for about half an hour.

My next step is to take one memory stick out and re-test, then swap the
memory and test again.

Any other ideas/suggestions for me on testing and identifying the 'bad'
stick?

Thanks,
Walter

"Walter Cohen" wrote
> I have been having sporadic problems with my system rebooting for no
> apparent reason as well as IE crashing (again for no apparent reason). I
> have Win XP Pro on an ABIT KX-333 and it doesn't happen all the time,
> perhaps once per week. I am trying to find the suspect memory.
> I have two sticks of PC2700 DDR memory CAS-2 (256k each). One stick is
from
> Kingston and one is from Crucial). I don't do overclocking/tweaking.

Hi,
there is a good discussion of memtest errors here:

Bleedinedge Forums - Memtest86 discussion
http://tinyurl.com/22bdl

I think its best to take out one of your DIMMS and start testing. You need
to find out what timings/FSB/voltages each RAM stick can run. You may have
some flaky RAM or perhaps you have a duff memory slot?

Good luck!
--
Wayne ][
<Sign on door reads: Please Do No Disturb! Pentium 4 assembly in progress!>

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.mainboards.abit (More info?)

nope, sounds about right

you have to isolate which one is bad. logic would suggest removing one of
them and testing to see which one it is.

NuTs

"Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have been having sporadic problems with my system rebooting for no
> apparent reason as well as IE crashing (again for no apparent reason). I
> have Win XP Pro on an ABIT KX-333 and it doesn't happen all the time,
> perhaps once per week. I am trying to find the suspect memory.
> I have two sticks of PC2700 DDR memory CAS-2 (256k each). One stick is
from
> Kingston and one is from Crucial). I don't do overclocking/tweaking.
>
> I ran both memtest86 as well as Microsoft's memory testers and one of the
> tests fails. Microsoft's test of STRIDE6 always fails. MEMTEST86's test 6
> always fails (I assume these tests are the same across the software). I
only
> ran these tests for about half an hour.
>
> My next step is to take one memory stick out and re-test, then swap the
> memory and test again.
>
> Any other ideas/suggestions for me on testing and identifying the 'bad'
> stick?
>
> Thanks,
> Walter

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

maybe also relax the timings, or try raising the voltage.

--

Good Luck!
BB

"NuT CrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> nope, sounds about right
>
> you have to isolate which one is bad. logic would suggest removing one of
> them and testing to see which one it is.
>
> NuTs
>
> "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have been having sporadic problems with my system rebooting for no
> > apparent reason as well as IE crashing (again for no apparent reason). I
> > have Win XP Pro on an ABIT KX-333 and it doesn't happen all the time,
> > perhaps once per week. I am trying to find the suspect memory.
> > I have two sticks of PC2700 DDR memory CAS-2 (256k each). One stick is
> from
> > Kingston and one is from Crucial). I don't do overclocking/tweaking.
> >
> > I ran both memtest86 as well as Microsoft's memory testers and one of
the
> > tests fails. Microsoft's test of STRIDE6 always fails. MEMTEST86's test
6
> > always fails (I assume these tests are the same across the software). I
> only
> > ran these tests for about half an hour.
> >
> > My next step is to take one memory stick out and re-test, then swap the
> > memory and test again.
> >
> > Any other ideas/suggestions for me on testing and identifying the 'bad'
> > stick?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Walter

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.mainboards.abit (More info?)

"NuT CrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> nope, sounds about right
>
> you have to isolate which one is bad. logic would suggest removing one of
> them and testing to see which one it is.

Maybe (probably) both are fine and when used separately they will run
without problems. But they don't like each other. It' s always recommanded
to use the same modules or at least modules with identical features (which
is difficult to track).