Re-partitioning in XP?

I currently have a 60 gb partition, G, that is cleanly formatted. It is a
partition that resides on my second physical hard drive.

I plan on putting XP Pro64 on it, and dual booting with my current 32 bit XP
Pro.

I would really like to have this 60 gb of space divided up into 2 partitions
rather than one, one to put XP Pro 64 on, and the other for data files for
XP Pro64. Can I delete the partition in disk mgmt in XP, then create 2
partitions out of that empty space in disk mgmnt, or would I have to use a
3rd party partitioning program like Partition Magic to accomplish this?

Thanks for any advice.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 06:15:56 -0500, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>I currently have a 60 gb partition, G, that is cleanly formatted. It is a
>partition that resides on my second physical hard drive.
>
>I plan on putting XP Pro64 on it, and dual booting with my current 32 bit XP
>Pro.
>
>I would really like to have this 60 gb of space divided up into 2 partitions
>rather than one, one to put XP Pro 64 on, and the other for data files for
>XP Pro64. Can I delete the partition in disk mgmt in XP, then create 2
>partitions out of that empty space in disk mgmnt, or would I have to use a
>3rd party partitioning program like Partition Magic to accomplish this?
>
>Thanks for any advice.

As with all other versions of Windows, it is not possible to delete
the System partition from within Windows. To do this, just start the
XP installation CD, and delete and partition the HD there.

You will, however, be able to delete the clean partition on the second
HD and slice it into two partitions using Disk Management from within
Windows XP with no problems.
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
from my email address before sending.

Donald L McDaniel wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 06:15:56 -0500, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I currently have a 60 gb partition, G, that is cleanly formatted. It
>> is a partition that resides on my second physical hard drive.
>>
>> I plan on putting XP Pro64 on it, and dual booting with my current
>> 32 bit XP Pro.
>>
>> I would really like to have this 60 gb of space divided up into 2
>> partitions rather than one, one to put XP Pro 64 on, and the other
>> for data files for XP Pro64. Can I delete the partition in disk
>> mgmt in XP, then create 2 partitions out of that empty space in disk
>> mgmnt, or would I have to use a 3rd party partitioning program like
>> Partition Magic to accomplish this?
>>
>> Thanks for any advice.
>
> As with all other versions of Windows, it is not possible to delete
> the System partition from within Windows. To do this, just start the
> XP installation CD, and delete and partition the HD there.
>
> You will, however, be able to delete the clean partition on the second
> HD and slice it into two partitions using Disk Management from within
> Windows XP with no problems.
> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original thread.
> If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
> from my email address before sending.

No, it is not the system partition.
Great to know I can slice the new partition into two, thanks!

--

Donald L McDaniel wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 06:15:56 -0500, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I currently have a 60 gb partition, G, that is cleanly formatted. It
>> is a partition that resides on my second physical hard drive.
>>
>> I plan on putting XP Pro64 on it, and dual booting with my current
>> 32 bit XP Pro.
>>
>> I would really like to have this 60 gb of space divided up into 2
>> partitions rather than one, one to put XP Pro 64 on, and the other
>> for data files for XP Pro64. Can I delete the partition in disk
>> mgmt in XP, then create 2 partitions out of that empty space in disk
>> mgmnt, or would I have to use a 3rd party partitioning program like
>> Partition Magic to accomplish this?
>>
>> Thanks for any advice.
>
> As with all other versions of Windows, it is not possible to delete
> the System partition from within Windows. To do this, just start the
> XP installation CD, and delete and partition the HD there.
>
> You will, however, be able to delete the clean partition on the second
> HD and slice it into two partitions using Disk Management from within
> Windows XP with no problems.
> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original thread.
> If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
> from my email address before sending.

Ok, now I have another question.

I deleted the partition, partition G, and went to create a new one and
format. I created a 20 gb partition and formatted from the 60 gb available
to me. However, I saw not option to format the remaining 40 gb of available
space. The new G partition, makes a total of 4 partitions on this second
physical drive. Is it because I created a basic partition that could be used
to boot windows? ( I want to install Windows XP 64 bit trial on this 20 gb
partition). I would like to create a 40 gb partition in the remaining 40 gb
of available space to use for date files for my XP Pro64 bit install.

Is there a way, I can do this?

Thanks,

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 13:05:35 -0500, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>Donald L McDaniel wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 06:15:56 -0500, "Don Burnette"
>> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I currently have a 60 gb partition, G, that is cleanly formatted. It
>>> is a partition that resides on my second physical hard drive.
>>>
>>> I plan on putting XP Pro64 on it, and dual booting with my current
>>> 32 bit XP Pro.
>>>
>>> I would really like to have this 60 gb of space divided up into 2
>>> partitions rather than one, one to put XP Pro 64 on, and the other
>>> for data files for XP Pro64. Can I delete the partition in disk
>>> mgmt in XP, then create 2 partitions out of that empty space in disk
>>> mgmnt, or would I have to use a 3rd party partitioning program like
>>> Partition Magic to accomplish this?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice.
>>
>> As with all other versions of Windows, it is not possible to delete
>> the System partition from within Windows. To do this, just start the
>> XP installation CD, and delete and partition the HD there.
>>
>> You will, however, be able to delete the clean partition on the second
>> HD and slice it into two partitions using Disk Management from within
>> Windows XP with no problems.
>> Donald L McDaniel
>> Please reply to the original thread.
>> If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
>> from my email address before sending.
>

>Ok, now I have another question.
>
>I deleted the partition, partition G, and went to create a new one and
>format. I created a 20 gb partition and formatted from the 60 gb available
>to me. However, I saw not option to format the remaining 40 gb of available
>space. The new G partition, makes a total of 4 partitions on this second
>physical drive. Is it because I created a basic partition that could be used
>to boot windows? ( I want to install Windows XP 64 bit trial on this 20 gb
>partition). I would like to create a 40 gb partition in the remaining 40 gb
>of available space to use for date files for my XP Pro64 bit install.
>
>Is there a way, I can do this?
>
>Thanks,

Did you change the selection in DiskManager to the unformatted portion
and then attempt to format it?

Or, just leave it unformatted: The Windows 64 installer will give you
the option to format it.

Donald L McDaniel wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 13:05:35 -0500, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Donald L McDaniel wrote:

>>> As with all other versions of Windows, it is not possible to delete
>>> the System partition from within Windows. To do this, just start
>>> the XP installation CD, and delete and partition the HD there.
>>>
>>> You will, however, be able to delete the clean partition on the
>>> second HD and slice it into two partitions using Disk Management
>>> from within Windows XP with no problems.
>>> Donald L McDaniel
>>> Please reply to the original thread.
>>> If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
>>> from my email address before sending.
>>

>> Ok, now I have another question.
>>
>> I deleted the partition, partition G, and went to create a new one
>> and format. I created a 20 gb partition and formatted from the 60 gb
>> available to me. However, I saw not option to format the remaining
>> 40 gb of available space. The new G partition, makes a total of 4
>> partitions on this second physical drive. Is it because I created a
>> basic partition that could be used to boot windows? ( I want to
>> install Windows XP 64 bit trial on this 20 gb partition). I would
>> like to create a 40 gb partition in the remaining 40 gb of available
>> space to use for date files for my XP Pro64 bit install.
>>
>> Is there a way, I can do this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> Did you change the selection in DiskManager to the unformatted portion
> and then attempt to format it?
>
> Or, just leave it unformatted: The Windows 64 installer will give you
> the option to format it.
>

> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original thread.
> If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
> from my email address before sending.

Yes, with my XP Pro 32 bit booted up, I deleted the partition, which left me
with 60 gb of available space on my second physical hard drive ( I have 3
other partitions already on it). I then created the 20 gb partition, that I
was going to use to install XP Pro64 on, leaving 40 gb of available space -
that I cannot partition in disk manager.
Are you saying that if I go ahead and install XP Pro 64 on the 20 gb
partition, then I can use disk management in XP Pro64 to partition and
format the remaining 40 gb of available space? If I do that, will my 32 bit
XP Pro see it also?

Thanks for your help,

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:13:16 -0500, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>Donald L McDaniel wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 13:05:35 -0500, "Don Burnette"
>> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Ok, now I have another question.
>>>
>>> I deleted the partition, partition G, and went to create a new one
>>> and format. I created a 20 gb partition and formatted from the 60 gb
>>> available to me. However, I saw not option to format the remaining
>>> 40 gb of available space. The new G partition, makes a total of 4
>>> partitions on this second physical drive. Is it because I created a
>>> basic partition that could be used to boot windows? ( I want to
>>> install Windows XP 64 bit trial on this 20 gb partition). I would
>>> like to create a 40 gb partition in the remaining 40 gb of available
>>> space to use for date files for my XP Pro64 bit install.
>>>
>>> Is there a way, I can do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>
>> Did you change the selection in DiskManager to the unformatted portion
>> and then attempt to format it?
>>
>> Or, just leave it unformatted: The Windows 64 installer will give you
>> the option to format it.
>>

>> Donald L McDaniel
>> Please reply to the original thread.
>> If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
>> from my email address before sending.
>

>Yes, with my XP Pro 32 bit booted up, I deleted the partition, which left me
>with 60 gb of available space on my second physical hard drive ( I have 3
>other partitions already on it). I then created the 20 gb partition, that I
>was going to use to install XP Pro64 on, leaving 40 gb of available space -
>that I cannot partition in disk manager.
>Are you saying that if I go ahead and install XP Pro 64 on the 20 gb
>partition, then I can use disk management in XP Pro64 to partition and
>format the remaining 40 gb of available space? If I do that, will my 32 bit
>XP Pro see it also?
>

>Thanks for your help,

Theoretically, you should be able to see the unpartitioned disk space
from within Windows XP 32bit Disk Management. Why you are unable to
see it, I don't know. Perhaps someone else has a better answer for
you.

Donald L McDaniel wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:13:16 -0500, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Donald L McDaniel wrote:

>>> Did you change the selection in DiskManager to the unformatted
>>> portion and then attempt to format it?
>>>
>>> Or, just leave it unformatted: The Windows 64 installer will give
>>> you the option to format it.
>>>

>>> Donald L McDaniel
>>> Please reply to the original thread.
>>> If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
>>> from my email address before sending.
>>

>> Yes, with my XP Pro 32 bit booted up, I deleted the partition, which
>> left me with 60 gb of available space on my second physical hard
>> drive ( I have 3 other partitions already on it). I then created the
>> 20 gb partition, that I was going to use to install XP Pro64 on,
>> leaving 40 gb of available space - that I cannot partition in disk
>> manager.
>> Are you saying that if I go ahead and install XP Pro 64 on the 20 gb
>> partition, then I can use disk management in XP Pro64 to partition
>> and format the remaining 40 gb of available space? If I do that,
>> will my 32 bit XP Pro see it also?
>>

>> Thanks for your help,
>
> Theoretically, you should be able to see the unpartitioned disk space
> from within Windows XP 32bit Disk Management. Why you are unable to
> see it, I don't know. Perhaps someone else has a better answer for
> you.
>
> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original thread.
> If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
> from my email address before sending.

I am afraid I am not communicating this very well.
I can see the available space in disk mgmt, the other 40 gb shows as
available, but do not have a choice to partition it.

I have 4 partitions on my second physical drive.
They are
D, G, J, and K

G used to be a 60 gb partition, however I deleted it in disk mgmt, and then
created a 20 gb partition from the 60 gb of available space. My thinking
there is to install my XP Pro 64 bit version onto the 20 gb partition, and
dual boot it with my current XP Pro 32 bit install.
That leaves me with 40 gb of available space left. I wanted to go ahead and
make it a partition, however I do not have that option available from
within disk mgmt. I am thinking perhaps it is because I have 4 partitions on
this drive?

I appreciate your trying to help me on this.

Don

anna

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Ok, now I have another question.
>
> I deleted the partition, partition G, and went to create a new one and
> format. I created a 20 gb partition and formatted from the 60 gb available
> to me. However, I saw not option to format the remaining 40 gb of
> available space. The new G partition, makes a total of 4 partitions on
> this second physical drive. Is it because I created a basic partition that
> could be used to boot windows? ( I want to install Windows XP 64 bit trial
> on this 20 gb partition). I would like to create a 40 gb partition in the
> remaining 40 gb of available space to use for date files for my XP Pro64
> bit install.
>
> Is there a way, I can do this?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Don Burnette

Don:
Isn't the remaining 40 GB of your G: partition "unallocated space"? When you
deleted the previous G: partition did you then create *two* partitions, one
of 20 GB and another partition of 40 GB? Or is it possible that you simply
created (and then formatted) the 20 GB partition *without* creating a 40 GB
partition? Obviously, if you did the latter then you would need to first
create the 20 GB partition before that partition could be formatted. Could
that be the reason why you do not have a format option for that 40 GB?
Anna

Anna wrote:
>> Donald L McDaniel wrote:

>>> As with all other versions of Windows, it is not possible to delete
>>> the System partition from within Windows. To do this, just start
>>> the XP installation CD, and delete and partition the HD there.
>>>
>>> You will, however, be able to delete the clean partition on the
>>> second HD and slice it into two partitions using Disk Management
>>> from within Windows XP with no problems.
>>> Donald L McDaniel
>>> Please reply to the original thread.
>>> If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
>>> from my email address before sending.
>

> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Ok, now I have another question.
>>
>> I deleted the partition, partition G, and went to create a new one
>> and format. I created a 20 gb partition and formatted from the 60 gb
>> available to me. However, I saw not option to format the remaining
>> 40 gb of available space. The new G partition, makes a total of 4
>> partitions on this second physical drive. Is it because I created a
>> basic partition that could be used to boot windows? ( I want to
>> install Windows XP 64 bit trial on this 20 gb partition). I would
>> like to create a 40 gb partition in the remaining 40 gb of available
>> space to use for date files for my XP Pro64 bit install.
>>
>> Is there a way, I can do this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Don Burnette
>

> Don:
> Isn't the remaining 40 GB of your G: partition "unallocated space"?
> When you deleted the previous G: partition did you then create *two*
> partitions, one of 20 GB and another partition of 40 GB? Or is it
> possible that you simply created (and then formatted) the 20 GB
> partition *without* creating a 40 GB partition? Obviously, if you did
> the latter then you would need to first create the 20 GB partition
> before that partition could be formatted. Could that be the reason
> why you do not have a format option for that 40 GB? Anna

I don't think so Anna.

As far as I can tell, I am not given the option to create another partition
for the remaining 40 gb of unallocated space at the time I create the 20gb
partition.

--

> I don't think so Anna.
>
> As far as I can tell, I am not given the option to create another
> partition for the remaining 40 gb of unallocated space at the time I
> create the 20gb partition.
> --
> Don Burnette

Don:
Then if I understand you correctly, that 40 GB *is* "unallocated space". So
you *didn't* create a partition for that 40 GB after you created & formatted
the 20 GB partition, yes?

Now you're indicating that there's no option to *create* another partition,
rather than your previous statement that there was no option to *format*
that (presumably existing) partition. Do I have this straight?

So assuming that 40 GB *is* "unallocated space" and is shown as such in Disk
Management, what happens when you right-click on that schematic? Does not a
sub-menu open with an option to create "New Partition"? And can't you then
use the "New Partition Wizard" to create/format that partition?
Anna

Anna wrote:

>>> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message

>> Anna wrote:
>>> Don:
>>> Isn't the remaining 40 GB of your G: partition "unallocated space"?
>>> When you deleted the previous G: partition did you then create *two*
>>> partitions, one of 20 GB and another partition of 40 GB? Or is it
>>> possible that you simply created (and then formatted) the 20 GB
>>> partition *without* creating a 40 GB partition? Obviously, if you
>>> did the latter then you would need to first create the 20 GB
>>> partition before that partition could be formatted. Could that be
>>> the reason why you do not have a format option for that 40 GB? Anna
>

> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I don't think so Anna.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, I am not given the option to create another
>> partition for the remaining 40 gb of unallocated space at the time I
>> create the 20gb partition.
>> --
>> Don Burnette
>

> Don:
> Then if I understand you correctly, that 40 GB *is* "unallocated
> space". So you *didn't* create a partition for that 40 GB after you
> created & formatted the 20 GB partition, yes?
>
> Now you're indicating that there's no option to *create* another
> partition, rather than your previous statement that there was no
> option to *format* that (presumably existing) partition. Do I have
> this straight?
> So assuming that 40 GB *is* "unallocated space" and is shown as such
> in Disk Management, what happens when you right-click on that
> schematic? Does not a sub-menu open with an option to create "New
> Partition"? And can't you then use the "New Partition Wizard" to
> create/format that partition? Anna

Hi Anna,

Thanks for bearing with me on this. You are correct, it is showing as
unallocated space in disk management.
If I right click, the only option available to me is to view " properties".
I am not given the option to create/format a new partition out of the
remaining 40 gb of unallocated space.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 09:41:24 -0500, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I don't think so Anna.
>>>
>>> As far as I can tell, I am not given the option to create another
>>> partition for the remaining 40 gb of unallocated space at the time I
>>> create the 20gb partition.
>>> --
>>> Don Burnette
>>

>> Don:
>> Then if I understand you correctly, that 40 GB *is* "unallocated
>> space". So you *didn't* create a partition for that 40 GB after you
>> created & formatted the 20 GB partition, yes?
>>
>> Now you're indicating that there's no option to *create* another
>> partition, rather than your previous statement that there was no
>> option to *format* that (presumably existing) partition. Do I have
>> this straight?
>> So assuming that 40 GB *is* "unallocated space" and is shown as such
>> in Disk Management, what happens when you right-click on that
>> schematic? Does not a sub-menu open with an option to create "New
>> Partition"? And can't you then use the "New Partition Wizard" to
>> create/format that partition? Anna
>

>Hi Anna,
>
>Thanks for bearing with me on this. You are correct, it is showing as
>unallocated space in disk management.
>If I right click, the only option available to me is to view " properties".
>I am not given the option to create/format a new partition out of the
>remaining 40 gb of unallocated space.

Here is a possible solution to your problem:

Go ahead and boot the computer using the Windows XP 64bit install
disc. Then, choose "new install", and create/format partitions at
that time. If there is a 20 gig unformatted partition on the HD, you
will be given the option to format it and install XP 64bit on it. If
there is 40 gig available space, you will be given the option to
create one or more partition(s) and format it(them).

Personally, I would create one 40 gb partition as the first partition
on the second drive, then install the new OS on it.

> Hi Anna,
> Thanks for bearing with me on this. You are correct, it is showing as
> unallocated space in disk management.
> If I right click, the only option available to me is to view "
> properties".
> I am not given the option to create/format a new partition out of the
> remaining 40 gb of unallocated space.
> --
> Don Burnette

Don:
You're saying that when you right-click on the schematic area reflecting the
40 GB of that unallocated disk space, the sub-menu lists *only* the
Properties menu item, yes? Does it also list the "New Partition" menu item,
but that item is grayed out?

When you access the Properties window, is there any info that indicates some
problem with that unallocated space or gives you any clue as to why the New
Partition option is not available?
Anna

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 23:08:35 -0500, Don Burnette wrote:

> I have 4 partitions on my second physical drive.
> They are
> D, G, J, and K

Primary partitions? I think there is a limit of 4. Remaining space can be
partitioned as extended with logical drives within that.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sharon F wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 23:08:35 -0500, Don Burnette wrote:
>
>> I have 4 partitions on my second physical drive.
>> They are
>> D, G, J, and K
>
> Primary partitions? I think there is a limit of 4. Remaining space
> can be partitioned as extended with logical drives within that.

Hmm, I bet that is it.
I did not see an option offered to format the remaining space as extended ,
will have to try it again this evening, will let ya know.

Thanks,

--

> Sharon F wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 23:08:35 -0500, Don Burnette wrote:
>>
>>> I have 4 partitions on my second physical drive.
>>> They are
>>> D, G, J, and K
>>
>> Primary partitions? I think there is a limit of 4. Remaining space
>> can be partitioned as extended with logical drives within that.
>

> Hmm, I bet that is it.
> I did not see an option offered to format the remaining space as extended
> , will have to try it again this evening, will let ya know.
>

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Don Burnette
>
> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
> way of the man that's doing it."

The choice is 4 primary partitions or 3 primary and one extended.

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:49:51 +0100, Keith S wrote:

> The choice is 4 primary partitions or 3 primary and one extended.

Thanks, Keith.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Keith S wrote:
> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Sharon F wrote:

>>> Primary partitions? I think there is a limit of 4. Remaining space
>>> can be partitioned as extended with logical drives within that.
>>

>> Hmm, I bet that is it.
>> I did not see an option offered to format the remaining space as
>> extended , will have to try it again this evening, will let ya know.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Don Burnette
>>
>> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of
>> the way of the man that's doing it."
>>

> The choice is 4 primary partitions or 3 primary and one extended.

That explains it then.

Thanks all for your help.

--
Don Burnette