Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Canon i9950 USA availbilty?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
July 20, 2004 5:43:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

When will Canon i9950 be available in US?
Anyone have any info?
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 2:42:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

ytrewq wrote:
> When will Canon i9950 be available in US?
> Anyone have any info?

Erm it is, and has been for about four months (it was available there before
it was available here). Here's the direct link

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDe...
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 3:00:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message news:<ClgLc.172$846.135@fe48.usenetserver.com>...
> ytrewq wrote:
> > When will Canon i9950 be available in US?
> > Anyone have any info?
>
> Erm it is, and has been for about four months (it was available there before
> it was available here). Here's the direct link
>
> http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDe...

AFAIK it's only been available here in the US for more like 2 months (I was
sitting on my hands waiting for its availability and got in within a few
days of "showing up").

But in any case, the i9950 isn't available here, only the i9900. They're
similar but exactly the same model. One thing, for instance, is that the i9900
doesn't print on CD's. i9950 also has something for holding 4x6 prints while
other paper sizes are there. I'm not sure exactly what that is because
the i9900 doesn't have it.

So in that respect, we'll probably never have the i9950.

Mike
Related resources
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 5:15:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Anoni Moose wrote:
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
> news:<ClgLc.172$846.135@fe48.usenetserver.com>...
>> ytrewq wrote:
>>> When will Canon i9950 be available in US?
>>> Anyone have any info?
>>
>> Erm it is, and has been for about four months (it was available
>> there before it was available here). Here's the direct link
>>
>>
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDe...
>
> AFAIK it's only been available here in the US for more like 2 months
> (I was
> sitting on my hands waiting for its availability and got in within a
> few
> days of "showing up").
>
> But in any case, the i9950 isn't available here, only the i9900.
> They're
> similar but exactly the same model. One thing, for instance, is that
> the i9900
> doesn't print on CD's. i9950 also has something for holding 4x6
> prints while
> other paper sizes are there. I'm not sure exactly what that is
> because
> the i9900 doesn't have it.
>
> So in that respect, we'll probably never have the i9950.
>
> Mike

1) They are identical - except for Direct CD printing (in fact, no US
model has that feature - something to do with copyright law, I believe).

2) It has nothing for holding 4"x6" prints. How do I know? I have one
sitting on the desk right next to me!

Compare the features

i9950
--------




a.. Wide-format photo printing
b.. 8-ink ChromaPLUS photo system
c.. Up to 4800 x 2400 dpi* resolution
d.. Micro-Nozzles with permanent 2pl drop size
e.. Print an A3 photo in approx. 65 seconds
f.. Single Ink technology
g.. USB2.0 Hi-Speed interface
h.. Windows & Mac compatible


http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers...

(or http://tinyurl.com/ytb5v if it wraps)

i9900
-------

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDe...

The i9950 is *NOT* (as you appear to think) an upgrade from the
i9900 - it is the European version of the same unit.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 8:56:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message news:<2eOLc.220$846.195@fe48.usenetserver.com>...
> Anoni Moose wrote:

> > But in any case, the i9950 isn't available here, only the i9900.
> > They're
> > similar but [not] exactly the same model. One thing, for instance, is that
> > the i9900
> > doesn't print on CD's. i9950 also has something for holding 4x6
> > prints while
> > other paper sizes are there. I'm not sure exactly what that is
> > because
> > the i9900 doesn't have it.
> >
> > So in that respect, we'll probably never have the i9950.
> >
> > Mike
>
> 1) They are identical - except for Direct CD printing (in fact, no US
> model has that feature - something to do with copyright law, I believe).

There are printer models in the U.S. that print directly onto CD's. Epson
has some, for instance. Maybe others.

>
> 2) It has nothing for holding 4"x6" prints. How do I know? I have one
> sitting on the desk right next to me!

Are you talking about the i9950? I personlly only have the i9900. I
saw the "dohicky" for 4x6 prints in a picture on one of the review
sites (for the i9950). Maybe they had just an advanced prototype
or maybe their country has the feature added.

Otherwise, (as I had said) they're the same model. The printing
part anyway.

>
> The i9950 is *NOT* (as you appear to think) an upgrade from the
> i9900 - it is the European version of the same unit.

Which is what I said in the posting to which you are responding. It
would be a slight upgrade if it were available here (in the US) due
at very least to the CD printing feature, but it's not sold here.

I think also, it's not just European. I think the i9950 is for all the
world other than North America. We don't get the extra bonus features.
However, perhaps our price makes up for it? ( USD 500 "list" price,
maybe USD 435~450 street price). Or is the same and we're just
out of luck for CD printing?

Mike
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 5:38:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Anoni Moose wrote:
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
> news:<2eOLc.220$846.195@fe48.usenetserver.com>...
>> Anoni Moose wrote:
>
>>> But in any case, the i9950 isn't available here, only the i9900.
>>> They're
>>> similar but [not] exactly the same model. One thing, for instance,
>>> is that the i9900
>>> doesn't print on CD's. i9950 also has something for holding 4x6
>>> prints while
>>> other paper sizes are there. I'm not sure exactly what that is
>>> because
>>> the i9900 doesn't have it.
>>>
>>> So in that respect, we'll probably never have the i9950.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> 1) They are identical - except for Direct CD printing (in fact,
>> no US model has that feature - something to do with copyright law, I
>> believe).
>
> There are printer models in the U.S. that print directly onto CD's.
> Epson
> has some, for instance. Maybe others.
>
>>
>> 2) It has nothing for holding 4"x6" prints. How do I know? I have
>> one sitting on the desk right next to me!
>
> Are you talking about the i9950? I personlly only have the i9900. I
> saw the "dohicky" for 4x6 prints in a picture on one of the review
> sites (for the i9950). Maybe they had just an advanced prototype
> or maybe their country has the feature added.
>
> Otherwise, (as I had said) they're the same model. The printing
> part anyway.
>
>>
>> The i9950 is *NOT* (as you appear to think) an upgrade from the
>> i9900 - it is the European version of the same unit.
>
> Which is what I said in the posting to which you are responding. It
> would be a slight upgrade if it were available here (in the US) due
> at very least to the CD printing feature, but it's not sold here.
>
> I think also, it's not just European. I think the i9950 is for all
> the
> world other than North America. We don't get the extra bonus
> features.
> However, perhaps our price makes up for it? ( USD 500 "list" price,
> maybe USD 435~450 street price). Or is the same and we're just
> out of luck for CD printing?
>
> Mike

Yes I'm talking about the i9950 which (AFAIK) is only available in Europe
and Australasia. Could you please provide me with a link to this "4"x6"
holder" as I cannot find any reference to it in either the online help or
the manual (such as it is). The thing is the exchange rate is £1=$1 which
means that the £500 I paid for mine is $500. $500 is around £280! That's
right, I paid nearly twice what you did for (almost) the same printer!
July 23, 2004 9:00:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

>Anoni Moose wrote:
>> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
>> news:<2eOLc.220$846.195@fe48.usenetserver.com>...
>>> Anoni Moose wrote:
>>
>>>> But in any case, the i9950 isn't available here, only the i9900.
>>>> They're
>>>> similar but [not] exactly the same model. One thing, for instance,
>>>> is that the i9900
>>>> doesn't print on CD's. i9950 also has something for holding 4x6
>>>> prints while
>>>> other paper sizes are there. I'm not sure exactly what that is
>>>> because
>>>> the i9900 doesn't have it.
>>>>
>>>> So in that respect, we'll probably never have the i9950.
>>>>
>>>> Mike
>>>
>>> 1) They are identical - except for Direct CD printing (in fact,
>>> no US model has that feature - something to do with copyright law, I
>>> believe).
>>
>> There are printer models in the U.S. that print directly onto CD's.
>> Epson
>> has some, for instance. Maybe others.
>>
>>>
>>> 2) It has nothing for holding 4"x6" prints. How do I know? I have
>>> one sitting on the desk right next to me!
>>
>> Are you talking about the i9950? I personlly only have the i9900. I
>> saw the "dohicky" for 4x6 prints in a picture on one of the review
>> sites (for the i9950). Maybe they had just an advanced prototype
>> or maybe their country has the feature added.
>>
>> Otherwise, (as I had said) they're the same model. The printing
>> part anyway.
>>
>>>
>>> The i9950 is *NOT* (as you appear to think) an upgrade from the
>>> i9900 - it is the European version of the same unit.
>>
>> Which is what I said in the posting to which you are responding. It
>> would be a slight upgrade if it were available here (in the US) due
>> at very least to the CD printing feature, but it's not sold here.
>>
>> I think also, it's not just European. I think the i9950 is for all
>> the
>> world other than North America. We don't get the extra bonus
>> features.
>> However, perhaps our price makes up for it? ( USD 500 "list" price,
>> maybe USD 435~450 street price). Or is the same and we're just
>> out of luck for CD printing?
>>
>> Mike
>
>Yes I'm talking about the i9950 which (AFAIK) is only available in Europe
>and Australasia. Could you please provide me with a link to this "4"x6"
>holder" as I cannot find any reference to it in either the online help or
>the manual (such as it is). The thing is the exchange rate is £1=$1 which
>means that the £500 I paid for mine is $500. $500 is around £280! That's
>right, I paid nearly twice what you did for (almost) the same printer!
>
>

I paid $800 Canadian (taxes included) which is £330 for my i9900.
July 24, 2004 3:26:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> >
> > 2) It has nothing for holding 4"x6" prints. How do I know? I have one
> > sitting on the desk right next to me!
>
> Are you talking about the i9950? I personlly only have the i9900. I
> saw the "dohicky" for 4x6 prints in a picture on one of the review
> sites (for the i9950). Maybe they had just an advanced prototype
> or maybe their country has the feature added.

I'm in Australia and have the i9950 ............... it doesnt have a 4x6
paper holder.

Geoff
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 3:55:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Geoff wrote:
>>> 2) It has nothing for holding 4"x6" prints. How do I know? I
>>> have one sitting on the desk right next to me!
>>
>> Are you talking about the i9950? I personlly only have the i9900. I
>> saw the "dohicky" for 4x6 prints in a picture on one of the review
>> sites (for the i9950). Maybe they had just an advanced prototype
>> or maybe their country has the feature added.
>
> I'm in Australia and have the i9950 ............... it doesnt have a
> 4x6 paper holder.
>
> Geoff

Thanks, Geoff! For a minute I thought I was going mad! ;o)
July 26, 2004 12:53:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Thanks - I guess I will order i9900
====================
"ytrewq" <ytrewq@poiu.com> wrote in message
news:10fqme6eeil1u65@news.supernews.com...
> When will Canon i9950 be available in US?
> Anyone have any info?
>
>
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 3:14:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message news:<DerMc.271$846.178@fe48.usenetserver.com>...

> > I'm in Australia and have the i9950 ............... it doesnt have a
> > 4x6 paper holder.
> >
> > Geoff
>
> Thanks, Geoff! For a minute I thought I was going mad! ;o)

Note that I had only seen that holder on a review website somewhere
back when I was hunting such things. Never seen one in person
on any printer nor on my i9900. But in was in an article that showed
the CD printer as well. I don't recall where I had seen it,
it would have been before I got the i9900 a couple months ago (i9950
seems to have been available a couple months before the i9900 in the
US). It's entirely possible that it was a pre-production package for
reviewers and not representative, or maybe the reviewer got carried
away when maybe "modifying" the review of another printer and missed
taking that part out. :-)

To tell the truth I'm not entirely sure what the dohicky does other
than it's something that sits in the area where the paper goes in.

Mike
!