my nic sees the network but can't connect!

Ii am running windows xp sp2, i have installed a linksys wmp54g, tryin to
connect to a linksys wap54g

they are both on the same network i.e. they have the same ip range
(192.168.0.1 and 100 respectively) same subnet mask.

i see the network in the wireless network connection window but there is no
star over the range thingee... and anytime i connect i get and error sayin
that the network is out of range.

can someone tell me wat's goin on? thanks a lot

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:04:32 -0400, "Taquin Noel" <*email_address_deleted*>
wrote:

>Ii am running windows xp sp2, i have installed a linksys wmp54g, tryin to
>connect to a linksys wap54g
>
>they are both on the same network i.e. they have the same ip range
>(192.168.0.1 and 100 respectively) same subnet mask.
>
>i see the network in the wireless network connection window but there is no
>star over the range thingee... and anytime i connect i get and error sayin
>that the network is out of range.
>
>can someone tell me wat's goin on? thanks a lot

Taquin,

How close is the computer to the WAP? Walls / floors between the two? Any
electronic devices nearby (such as but not limited to microwave oven, cordless
phone, fluorescent lamp, dimmer switch, large stereo speakers, TV set)? Are the
antennas on both aimed parallel in all three dimensions?

Can you connect the computer (or another computer) to the WAP, and examine the
router access log? Any clues there?

Have you enabled security on the WAP? WEP / WPA / MAC address filtering?

Do you have up to date drivers / firmware on both wireless devices?

--
Cheers,
Chuck

Hi
May be this can Help.
Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.htm
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:04:32 -0400, "Taquin Noel" <*email_address_deleted*>
> wrote:
>
> >Ii am running windows xp sp2, i have installed a linksys wmp54g, tryin to
> >connect to a linksys wap54g
> >
> >they are both on the same network i.e. they have the same ip range
> >(192.168.0.1 and 100 respectively) same subnet mask.
> >
> >i see the network in the wireless network connection window but there is no
> >star over the range thingee... and anytime i connect i get and error sayin
> >that the network is out of range.
> >
> >can someone tell me wat's goin on? thanks a lot
>
> Taquin,
>
> How close is the computer to the WAP? Walls / floors between the two? Any
> electronic devices nearby (such as but not limited to microwave oven, cordless
> phone, fluorescent lamp, dimmer switch, large stereo speakers, TV set)? Are the
> antennas on both aimed parallel in all three dimensions?
>
> Can you connect the computer (or another computer) to the WAP, and examine the
> router access log? Any clues there?
>
> Have you enabled security on the WAP? WEP / WPA / MAC address filtering?
>
> Do you have up to date drivers / firmware on both wireless devices?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.

TRENDING THREADS