XP2400+ or XP2600+?

Hi all. New to group.

I've read all posts of the last week and have found some good info about my
question but it's not particular to my system. Maybe you can help.

Relevant specs:

MSI KT3 ULTRA (6380E) BIOS v.5.7
XP1800+ (OC'd to 1.70 GHz via 147 FSB) retail fan/hs
512 MB PC2100 RAM
Gainward Ti4200 64MB videocard
Antec 350W PSU

The long of it is that everything runs fine right now but I'd like to gear
up for the new games at minimal cost.
I want to get an ATI 9800 PRO but the CPU is a definately a bottleneck.
So I recently (and successfully) flashed the Mobo BIOS to 5.7, which is
supposed to allow up XP2600+.
Given all the different flavors of the 2400/2600 CPUs I can't figure out
which would best suit my system.
I'd probably need an aftermarket hs/fan too.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rick
7 answers Last reply
More about xp2400 xp2600

    I did this upgrade using a 2600+ mobile Athlon XP(low voltage model, 1.45
    volts) on a KT3 Ultra Aru. I wish I had gotten a 2400+ mobile instead(13.5
    multiplier). The multipliers are unlocked on the mobile chips. But most
    boards including the KT3 Ultra WILL NOT let you change the multipliers on
    the mobile cpu's. I found this out after I had installed the processor. I
    could not get it to run at 166x15. It would run fine at 133x15 (2.0 gig) or
    at 145x15(2.175 GHz) but no higher. I since put in an Abit NF7s mother board
    which will allow the multies to be changed on the Mobile cpu's. If your
    board has the KT333 chip set and your PC2100 memory will run at 166MHz. You
    may be able to run the 2400+ at 13.5x 166 for 2241 GHz. This board sets the
    default voltage for the mobile's at 1.575 instead of 1.45. To get it to run
    at 2241 you may need to do the wire/pin mod here: www.ocinside.de The
    9800 Pro will be an improvement over the Ti4200.
    I recommend the Thermaltake Silent Boost 80mm fan/heatsink. It is fairly
    quiet and does a good cooling job. You can get a lot of computer stuff
    here. www.newegg.com I installed the Powercolor 9800 Pro on my KT3 with
    the above processor and was getting 5400 on 3dmark03. Hope this helps.

    BBTACO

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 01:02:25 +0000, dorkus.erectus wrote:

    > MSI KT3 ULTRA (6380E) BIOS v.5.7
    > XP1800+ (OC'd to 1.70 GHz via 147 FSB) retail fan/hs
    > 512 MB PC2100 RAM
    > Gainward Ti4200 64MB videocard
    > Antec 350W PSU
    >
    > The long of it is that everything runs fine right now but I'd like to gear
    > up for the new games at minimal cost.
    > I want to get an ATI 9800 PRO but the CPU is a definately a bottleneck.
    > So I recently (and successfully) flashed the Mobo BIOS to 5.7, which is
    > supposed to allow up XP2600+.
    > Given all the different flavors of the 2400/2600 CPUs I can't figure out
    > which would best suit my system.

    This board should support a FSB up to about 180Mhz, so you should be able
    to use cpu's up to 3000+/333 XP, or any other cpu below it. My choice
    would be a 2100+ Tbred B core set to 13x166 or higher if you like, or a
    2600+ barton set to 11.5x180 or 185. Or if your current 1800+ CPU is a
    Tbred B core, then I'd just run it at 13x166.

    > I'd probably need an aftermarket hs/fan too.

    TR2-M1 or M3, $8. No need to spend more.

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 01:02:25 +0000, dorkus.erectus wrote:
    >
    > > MSI KT3 ULTRA (6380E) BIOS v.5.7
    > > XP1800+ (OC'd to 1.70 GHz via 147 FSB) retail fan/hs
    > > 512 MB PC2100 RAM
    > > Gainward Ti4200 64MB videocard
    > > Antec 350W PSU
    > >
    > > The long of it is that everything runs fine right now but I'd like to
    gear
    > > up for the new games at minimal cost.
    > > I want to get an ATI 9800 PRO but the CPU is a definately a bottleneck.
    > > So I recently (and successfully) flashed the Mobo BIOS to 5.7, which is
    > > supposed to allow up XP2600+.
    > > Given all the different flavors of the 2400/2600 CPUs I can't figure out
    > > which would best suit my system.
    >
    > This board should support a FSB up to about 180Mhz, so you should be able
    > to use cpu's up to 3000+/333 XP, or any other cpu below it. My choice
    > would be a 2100+ Tbred B core set to 13x166 or higher if you like, or a
    > 2600+ barton set to 11.5x180 or 185. Or if your current 1800+ CPU is a
    > Tbred B core, then I'd just run it at 13x166.
    >
    > > I'd probably need an aftermarket hs/fan too.
    > >
    > TR2-M1 or M3, $8. No need to spend more.

    Thanks Wes.

    The reason I'm at 147 FSB is because the system won't even POST much higher
    than that.
    Maybe that's all my RAM can handle. I thought PC2100 DDR is rated for a 133
    FSB.
    Plus the fact that there is no PCI Bus-lock so at 180 FSB I'd probably fry
    my HDD.
    My CPU is a Palomino so I definately need a new one.
    I know AMD is now multiplier-locking all new chips but I assume there are
    still many of the older ones on warehouse shelves.

    It's odd that both you and my brother, who has the same mobo as I, say 3000+
    but MSI Live Update says that BIOS ver. 5.7 supports up to 2600+ . I'll take
    2 against 1 anytime.

    Rick

    "dorkus.erectus" <nhdgef@whoever.org> wrote
    > I know AMD is now multiplier-locking all new chips but I assume there are
    > still many of the older ones on warehouse shelves.
    The newest greatest thing is the Mobile Bartons. See newegg.com and read the
    user reviews.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote in message
    > dorkus.erectus wrote:
    > > Hi all. New to group.
    > >
    > > I've read all posts of the last week and have found some good info
    > > about my question but it's not particular to my system. Maybe you can
    > > help.
    > >
    > > Relevant specs:
    > >
    > > MSI KT3 ULTRA (6380E) BIOS v.5.7
    > > XP1800+ (OC'd to 1.70 GHz via 147 FSB) retail fan/hs
    > > 512 MB PC2100 RAM
    > > Gainward Ti4200 64MB videocard
    > > Antec 350W PSU
    > >
    > > The long of it is that everything runs fine right now but I'd like to
    > > gear up for the new games at minimal cost.
    > > I want to get an ATI 9800 PRO but the CPU is a definately a
    > > bottleneck.
    > > So I recently (and successfully) flashed the Mobo BIOS to 5.7, which
    > > is supposed to allow up XP2600+.
    > > Given all the different flavors of the 2400/2600 CPUs I can't figure
    > > out which would best suit my system.
    > > I'd probably need an aftermarket hs/fan too.
    > >
    > > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Sell the board second-hand. Put the money towards a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L.
    > They're relatively cheap and very overclockable. I have my XP1800+ running
    > at 10.5 x 200Mhz (2.1Ghz, using PC3200 RAM) on one. It was the same price
    as
    > a CPU upgrade, even cheaper when you factor in what you get for your old
    > board (Put that towards RAM?) and, for now at least, my 'XP1800+' is doing
    > just fine. Later I can get a Barton or whatever if needed before I go
    64-bit
    > and get even more out of it. I'm still using the AMD HSF on my CPU.
    >
    > Your board is going to hold you back no matter what CPU you get, do
    yourself
    > a favour and get a better one. A far better investment than a new CPU at
    > this stage. You can even keep your PC2100 RAM if you want and run it
    > asynchronously for a while.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Thanks ~misfit~

    The thing is I've got enough US$$ to do all that but I'm a cheap bastard.
    I'm just a casual gamer, not hardcore, but still like to play with as much
    eye-candy as possible.
    Beside, wouldn't I have to go through M$ re-activation Hell?

    Rick

    "dorkus.erectus" <nhdgef@whoever.org> wrote
    > Beside, wouldn't I have to go through M$ re-activation Hell?
    If you have the upgrade version of Win XP, reactivating is painless. If it
    won't activate on your new MB, it gives you a phone #, and the guy gives you
    a # to type in. I had to do that when I reinstalled it a third time
    concurrently with the other 2 on a separate partition on the same computer.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 22:25:21 +0000, dorkus.erectus wrote:

    > "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 01:02:25 +0000, dorkus.erectus wrote:
    >>
    >> > MSI KT3 ULTRA (6380E) BIOS v.5.7
    >> > XP1800+ (OC'd to 1.70 GHz via 147 FSB) retail fan/hs
    >> > 512 MB PC2100 RAM
    >> > Gainward Ti4200 64MB videocard
    >> > Antec 350W PSU
    >> >
    >> > The long of it is that everything runs fine right now but I'd like to
    > gear
    >> > up for the new games at minimal cost.
    >> > I want to get an ATI 9800 PRO but the CPU is a definately a bottleneck.
    >> > So I recently (and successfully) flashed the Mobo BIOS to 5.7, which is
    >> > supposed to allow up XP2600+.
    >> > Given all the different flavors of the 2400/2600 CPUs I can't figure out
    >> > which would best suit my system.
    >>
    >> This board should support a FSB up to about 180Mhz, so you should be able
    >> to use cpu's up to 3000+/333 XP, or any other cpu below it. My choice
    >> would be a 2100+ Tbred B core set to 13x166 or higher if you like, or a
    >> 2600+ barton set to 11.5x180 or 185. Or if your current 1800+ CPU is a
    >> Tbred B core, then I'd just run it at 13x166.
    >>
    >> > I'd probably need an aftermarket hs/fan too.
    >> >
    >> TR2-M1 or M3, $8. No need to spend more.
    >
    > The reason I'm at 147 FSB is because the system won't even POST much higher
    > than that.

    But that's not a FSB limitation. When you go to 166Mhz and above you use a
    5 divider, so the PCI/AGP bus would be the same as it is at 133Mhz which
    only uses a 4 divider. I also assume you have some way to keep your ram
    bus seperate from the FSB, so you could still run it at 133MHz (+ any
    overclock over 166 on the FSB probably)

    > Maybe that's all my RAM can handle. I thought PC2100 DDR is rated for a
    > 133 FSB.

    Right, but Your chipset/board should support async ram bus to keep it at
    133

    > Plus the fact that there is no PCI Bus-lock so at 180 FSB I'd probably
    > fry my HDD.

    Nope, the PCI bus would be at 36.16MHz with the FSB at 180MHz and a 5
    divider. You're running it at 36.86 now with a 147MHz fsb and 4 divider.

    > My CPU is a Palomino so I definately need a new one. I know AMD is now
    > multiplier-locking all new chips but I assume there are still many of
    > the older ones on warehouse shelves.

    If you've unlocked your current cpu, lower the multiplier to 9 or 10 and
    then test the fsb at 166. Shouldn't have a problem.

    > It's odd that both you and my brother, who has the same mobo as I, say
    > 3000+ but MSI Live Update says that BIOS ver. 5.7 supports up to 2600+ .
    > I'll take 2 against 1 anytime.

    I don't have a board like yours. I don't even have one with the same
    chipset, and never have, but that really doesn't matter.:-)
    What matters is your max FSB speed, and the official speed for the KT333
    chitset is 166MHz, maintaining proper PCI bus speeds. But the chipset is
    capable of much higher speeds. Just that when you get over 180-185 you
    start pussing your luck, although I've heard of people running 190, with
    PCI at about 38.2. As for what MSI says, well, guess what Abit (and almost
    everyone else) said when I decided to install an XP in the board below.
    Won't work, Yeah, right.:-) See the link below.

AMD Overclocking