CPU Brain and overclocking

Just downloaded CPU Brain
(http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1050948388) and I noticed
that it reports my clock speed as 2204.95 Mhz with a multiplier of 11.0.
There appear to be options to set the multiplier all the way up to 25, which
would give me a processor running at over 5Ghz....! Is this possible or
would it just melt?

What would the XP rating number be for an Athlon running at 5Ghz?

Jago

FX-51
2Gb RAM
MSI-9130 (K8T800) mobo
FX-5900U 256mb

---
More about brain overclocking

    I doubt you'd get an AMD to do 5 GHz - even on liquid nitrogen.
    The most you could expect from an air-cooled (mobile) Barton would be around
    2650 -2700 MHz.
    Set it any higher and your system just wouldn't boot.
    Some crazy-heads once got a 3 GHz Pentium 4 to run at 5 GHz with LN-2.
    They put a video of the whole thing up on the web somewhere.
    Try a google.
    I don't think you can change your multi using CPU Brain.

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:13:13 +0100, Jago wrote:

    > Just downloaded CPU Brain
    > (http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1050948388) and I noticed
    > that it reports my clock speed as 2204.95 Mhz with a multiplier of 11.0.
    > There appear to be options to set the multiplier all the way up to 25, which
    > would give me a processor running at over 5Ghz....! Is this possible or
    > would it just melt?
    >
    > What would the XP rating number be for an Athlon running at 5Ghz?
    >
    > Jago
    >
    > FX-51
    > 2Gb RAM
    > MSI-9130 (K8T800) mobo
    > FX-5900U 256mb

    There is no XP rating for the Athlon 64 FX's. And I assume you mean
    Performance Rating ((PR) instead of of XP. Oh, it wouldn't melt. Might
    explode though.:-)

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:13:13 +0100, Jago wrote:
    >
    > > Just downloaded CPU Brain
    > > (http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1050948388) and I noticed
    > > that it reports my clock speed as 2204.95 Mhz with a multiplier of 11.0.
    > > There appear to be options to set the multiplier all the way up to 25,
    which
    > > would give me a processor running at over 5Ghz....! Is this possible or
    > > would it just melt?
    > >
    > > What would the XP rating number be for an Athlon running at 5Ghz?
    > >
    > > Jago
    > >
    > > FX-51
    > > 2Gb RAM
    > > MSI-9130 (K8T800) mobo
    > > FX-5900U 256mb
    > >
    > There is no XP rating for the Athlon 64 FX's. And I assume you mean
    > Performance Rating ((PR) instead of of XP. Oh, it wouldn't melt. Might
    > explode though.:-)

    Yeah I meant PR rating, I just wondered how an FX compared to a P4....I was
    also wondering what the PR would be if AMD released a processor that
    actually matched an Intel Mhz for Mhz....
    Do you know how overclocking an FX processor would affect the speed of the
    RAM? I believe the memory contoller (?) is integrated into the CPU, so that
    it doesn't have a FSB in the normal sense.....??

    Jago

    ---

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:13:13 +0100, Jago wrote:
    >
    > > Just downloaded CPU Brain
    > > (http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1050948388) and I noticed
    > > that it reports my clock speed as 2204.95 Mhz with a multiplier of 11.0.
    > > There appear to be options to set the multiplier all the way up to 25,
    which
    > > would give me a processor running at over 5Ghz....! Is this possible or
    > > would it just melt?
    > >
    > > What would the XP rating number be for an Athlon running at 5Ghz?
    > >
    > > Jago
    > >
    > > FX-51
    > > 2Gb RAM
    > > MSI-9130 (K8T800) mobo
    > > FX-5900U 256mb
    > >
    > There is no XP rating for the Athlon 64 FX's. And I assume you mean
    > Performance Rating ((PR) instead of of XP.

    Sandra lists PR rating lower than CPU Brain lists XP rating - well for a
    Barton, at least.

    Oh, it wouldn't melt. Might
    > explode though.:-)

    > Some crazy-heads once got a 3 GHz Pentium 4 to run at 5 GHz with LN-2.
    > They put a video of the whole thing up on the web somewhere.

    Try this: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031230/index.html

    I think that is what you are refering to.

    Shannon

    the computer just wouldnt boot, you would get nothing on the screen
    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:13:13 +0100, Jago wrote:
    >
    >> Just downloaded CPU Brain
    >> (http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1050948388) and I noticed
    >> that it reports my clock speed as 2204.95 Mhz with a multiplier of 11.0.
    >> There appear to be options to set the multiplier all the way up to 25,
    >> which
    >> would give me a processor running at over 5Ghz....! Is this possible or
    >> would it just melt?
    >>
    >> What would the XP rating number be for an Athlon running at 5Ghz?
    >>
    >> Jago
    >>
    >> FX-51
    >> 2Gb RAM
    >> MSI-9130 (K8T800) mobo
    >> FX-5900U 256mb
    >>
    > There is no XP rating for the Athlon 64 FX's. And I assume you mean
    > Performance Rating ((PR) instead of of XP. Oh, it wouldn't melt. Might
    > explode though.:-)

    > What would the XP rating number be for an Athlon running at 5Ghz?

    R 00 TED.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Canus_Lupis" <patryc_willis@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > What would the XP rating number be for an Athlon running at 5Ghz?
    > >

    > R 00 TED.

    What???

    ---
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    I geusstimate about PR6200 :-)

    If you could get a Barton to run at 5 Ghz, it would be a monster of a
    machine!

    My mobo goes up to about 6 Ghz with 250Mhz FSB x 24 multi. WoOuld need
    DDR500 RAM though!

    Peter
    peter*AT*firtytoo.com

    > "Canus_Lupis" <patryc_willis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > > What would the XP rating number be for an Athlon running at 5Ghz?
    > > >

    > > R 00 TED.
    > >

    > What???
    >

    > ---

AMD Overclocking CPUs